2015/2016 New 3rd gen Tacoma Debut in Detriot

4xdog

Explorer
...I want something that's going to be with me 20+ years like my old truck and I figure all that crap is going to fail me long before the 1GR and the rest of the proven drivetrain...

My 2001 Tacoma DC 4WD TRD is coming up on 15 years old, and the power door locks, power windows, electric-engage 4WD, and so on are working perfectly. The *very* few things I've had to do relate to things that any truck would have -- water pump, harmonic balancer, ball joints, etc. I appreciate simplicity (I have a fifty three year old Triumph TR3 that's about as complicated as a garden tractor), but seriously, most of that stuff isn't something to worry about in the Toyota pickup world.

Clutch

<---Pass
My 2001 Tacoma DC 4WD TRD is coming up on 15 years old, and the power door locks, power windows, electric-engage 4WD, and so on are working perfectly. The *very* few things I've had to do relate to things that any truck would have -- water pump, harmonic balancer, ball joints, etc. I appreciate simplicity (I have a fifty three year old Triumph TR3 that's about as complicated as a garden tractor), but seriously, most of that stuff isn't something to worry about in the Toyota pickup world.

Same here I recently rolled 290K miles in my '99...all the electronic stuff is still working...had to replace quite a bit of the mechanical parts recently. In the spring I put in new ball joints, CV axles, a-arm bushings, drive shaft carrier bearing, rebuilt the driveshaft, new third member bearings, rear axle bearings and seals, rack&pinion. Put a fresh rebuild on my Camburg coil-overs too. (probably some things I am forgetting)

Power door locks are getting funking, they probably just need a little lube.

I would like a backup camera, be nice for hooking up my moto trailer and keeping an eye on the bikes while in transit...(on trips the back is packed full, can't see out the rear view mirror).

Would be nice if they a rubber floor option, since I tend ruin the carpet, the rubber cleans up easier.

I'll take my 2016 in Magnetic Grey or Nautical Blue. :D

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Good for you guys. Still don't really want any of it. I would actually still be able to use a tape deck personally, but what can I say, I'm hopelessly stuck in the past.

Don't get me started on garden tractors. Our relatively lightly used Deere X475 (about 300 hours and is maybe 10 years old) has had an ignition pack go out and throws a check engine. Seriously, a CEL, in a mini tractor.

Clutch

<---Pass
Good for you guys. Still don't really want any of it. I would actually still be able to use a tape deck personally, but what can I say, I'm hopelessly stuck in the past.

I get ya though...vehicles are getting a bit too complex. I like mine, seems like it has good mix of old and modern tech. Getting worn out tho'....of course the $30K++ I don't spend on new truck will keep it running an awful long time. I am kicking around the idea of buying another 1st gen Taco...so I keep them in rotation when one goes down for repairs. Even thought of 90's pickup, but I like some of the features better on the Taco, such as coil suspension, rack&pinion steering....like the 3.4 much better over the 3.0. I never had an issue with the frame so not much of a concern with me.

Don't get me started on garden tractors. Our relatively lightly used Deere X475 (about 300 hours and is maybe 10 years old) has had an ignition pack go out and throws a check engine. Seriously, a CEL, in a mini tractor.

Ha...yeah even tractors are getting pretty complex...I do say, I like operating the "new" joystick versions over the old machines that had the levers directly connected to the hydro valve.

Overlanerd

Vagabond Outdoors
Same here, don't want to give up my manny.

Just wish Toyota offered the B-Max Grade Package with the V6, and rubber flooring. 25mpg+ would be nice.
I think the vinyl flooring is an option now. It is on the list for the future. Now that they're making the 2wd (non-pre runner) in a dual cab, hopefully it will be more available and not too expensive.

Overlanerd

Vagabond Outdoors
On your list I'd go with the larger fuel tank and diesel. None of the other stuff interests me, I simply don't care. Toyota has never offered a 4:1 t-case and honestly I had a 4.7:1 Marlin that I replaced with a stock gearing because having those ratios is useful, at least more useful I find that not having them. The uber low gearing is only useful for crawling but I use my truck in other ways. And my truck has a 22R-E, so the low gearing is actually quite useful in the rocks. A 1GR has the power to deal with higher gearing.

Stuff like electrical sway bars, electric seats, electric rear window are things I /really/ do NOT want in my truck. I am weighing replacing my '91 with a new(er) Taco and it already irritates me that I'd be stuck with power windows, that stupid key fob thing, back up cameras and all that. I want something that's going to be with me 20+ years like my old truck and I figure all that crap is going to fail me long before the 1GR and the rest of the proven drivetrain.

I am not even that worried about a C-channel frame, but I do know the 1st gen Taco frame could fail so I'm of the opinion that a full box frame would be nice. But I thought Toyota beefed up the 2nd gen Taco frame, which is really the point. An open channel doesn't have to be weak, i.e. semi trucks, and can have the advantage of being able to be cleaned out to prevent rust. So in my mind it's not an absolute.

Vinyl floor, white, manual stuff. That's what I want.

Yeah, that was my crazy wish list. I get what you're saying. My last truck was a 1972 Scout- a very spartan platform. It had spray- on bedlined floors, manual choke control, no synchros for first gear, manual hubs, and a tractor engine. It did have some nice power leather seats I bought for $150. I have a tricky back and I'm 6'-2". The tacoma seats kill my back and more adjustability would help.
I think the Tacoma should be offered with a "Rubicon" type package and a bare-bones commercial model. Options for all preferences. It's not going to happen though. Bluetooth will probably be standard. I hate that more cars are going to touch screens instead of knobs. It keeps you're eyes on the screen instead of the road. You shouldn't have to go through a menu to turn on the defrost.

If only this was street legal:

http://www.peakmechanical.com/mine%20truck.html

Last edited:

p nut

butter
Riding in a fully-boxed frame (Ford) and an open channel (Tundra), you can have the boxed frame. Rattle city. I get enough complaints from the missus. :)

Also, I love manual transmissions, but the latest autos are quite good and I wouldn't hesitate to buy one.

DaveInDenver

I like the TC707, although I do like having the space of an XtraCab. I don't know if it's known widely yet, but Toyota doesn't offer a new Tacoma in a regular cab anymore. Not even in 2WD, nothing. I don't know if the 3rd gen will or not, it's conceivable that it's only for the end of the 2015 run that they stopped making them to allow the channel to deplete or maybe so they can switch over production lines.

Attachments

• bed4.gif
    bed4.gif
    74.1 KB · Views: 38

Clutch

<---Pass
I think the vinyl flooring is an option now. It is on the list for the future. Now that they're making the 2wd (non-pre runner) in a dual cab, hopefully it will be more available and not too expensive.

What package is the vinyl flooring available? I can't find it.

I like the B-Max Grade since it has the rear seat delete on the Access Cab...but can't get the V6 with that package (bummer). Maybe if there is a new 4-CYL in the '16's that makes decent power and fetches good fuel economy...I might be interested in a 4.

697a9d5aa29dda2c004bd2d3fd1ae3b7x.jpg

Too bad they quit making this jump seat version. This was great for gear...(I mean really...who can sit back there anyways!? :D)

tacoma-access-cab-storage.jpg

Happen to like power windows...all of my vehicles had manuals up until I bought my '99. Sure is nice not having to stretch over and wind down the passenger window. Haven't had any issues with the motors even with 290K on the ODO. Do prefer manual t-cases and manual hubs.

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
I like the TC707, although I do like having the space of an XtraCab. I don't know if it's known widely yet, but Toyota doesn't offer a new Tacoma in a regular cab anymore. Not even in 2WD, nothing. I don't know if the 3rd gen will or not, it's conceivable that it's only for the end of the 2015 run that they stopped making them to allow the channel to deplete or maybe so they can switch over production lines.

I couldn't do another RC, why I sold my '92, so I can get an extra cab. About the only RC I could live with is the current Tundra. (don't really want a Tundra tho')

What type of front axle/suspension is on the one you picture?

Also, I love manual transmissions, but the latest autos are quite good and I wouldn't hesitate to buy one.

I refuse to give it up...main reason I simply just like them. That zen like feeling you get from driving one...Oh Yeah baby! The other is...I grew up with my dad in a wheelchair, pushing that clutch lever in and pulling on lever, reminds me how lucky I am. The little things that us healthy people take for granted...ya know what I mean.

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

The TC707 is a special duty truck, it runs 1 ton axles. I believe 80 series derived custom, I think Diamond axles. Also they put in a 3.3L tier 3 Cummins QSB industrial diesel, which is not approved for highway use. It does retain the Toyota 5 speed stick and t-case.

The whole package is designed to go into a mine and essentially never leave.

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
The TC707 is a special duty truck, it runs 1 ton axles. I believe 80 series derived custom, I think Diamond axles. Also they put in a 3.3L tier 3 Cummins QSB industrial diesel, which is not approved for highway use. It does retain the Toyota 5 speed stick and t-case.

The whole package is designed to go into a mine and essentially never leave.

Thanks Dave....you had me up until the oil burner, the mere mention of a Cummins is already giving me a headache.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94