Montero Gen 2.5 (NL) Capacities, Part Numbers and Specialty Tools List

ljense8

Adventurer
Fwiw, I figured out the cause of my lack of power and poor fuel economy. The keyway was damaged on my crankshaft timing sprocket, effectively retarding my timing by nearly 2 teeth. Just posting this as a heads up to check this when you do the timing belt job. After fixing mine, my power and fuel economy have both increased dramatically. Here is a picture of what I found.

8901d2ab233792307a27aec9f481e921.jpg

KyleT

Explorer
Trans cooler hose is 3/8" for a transmission fluid flush. Searched and never found that info. I bought clear at Home Depot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nbishop

Observer
I'm prepping to do the timing belt on a 1997 Montero LS. Under the section "**NOTE** TO COMPLETE TIMING BELT/WATER PUMP JOB YOU WILL ALSO NEED:", are the "MITSUBISHI MD030763 O-ring" and "MITSUBISHI MD308723 Gasket" all that are necessary in addition to the gates kit, or are the "MITSUBISHI MD372536 Camshaft Seal" through "NAPA 25-040390 Belt" also suggested? This is my first time operating this procedure so I'm a bit unsure if I only need the kit, o-ring, and gasket, or the whole kittencaboodle.

jlocster

Explorer
Aside from the Gates kit and the o-ring and gasket mentioned, since the front of the engine will be accessible, I'd highly recommend you replace your front cam seals, front crank seal, update your balancer bolt and washer, install a new thermostat, replace radiator hoses and accessory drive belts. You may also want to preventatively replace your crank and cam position sensors while you're there.

Last edited:

nbishop

Observer
Thanks for the input and the original post, it is really helpful. It looks like my rear cam seals are leaking as well, so I'll add that to the list.

BOPOH

Explorer
2002-2004 Montero Sport (may fit other years, idk)

MR431940 - Hose Fuel High Pressure (From fuel pump to fuel filter) - $8.28 at dealership

Hose Fuel High Pressure.jpg

magoh76

Adventurer
How much crossover is there between the parts listed here for Gen 2.5 and my '96 Gen 2? Quite a bit, right?

Sent from my SM-N900R4 using Tapatalk

jlocster

Explorer
There is some crossover, especially in terms of the interior and suspension. However, the engines are different (96 SR=DOHC vs Gen 2.5=SOHC) as well as the bodies (fenders).

SONICMASD

Adventurer
Special Tool: Locknut Socket - required to remove and more importantly, properly retorque the locknut and preload the bearings when doing front brake work.

Part No. MB-990954
Price: Around $90 new, found this one on ebay for $55.

308ba9d01299ab772edec150d2d43c88.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne