Post up your drawer/storage system

Jeffem62

Very clean build! I too am going to use pocket hole screws and birch plywood.
What length kreg screws did you use?

The jig comes with a chart. Depends what size wood you are working with. In my case the 3/4 inch birch called for 1 1/4 screws. I used the screws made by jig. I've never built anything out of wood. This was super easy. Did a couple of practice drills on scrap wood first.

fireball

Explorer
I just made this for a friend and local club member for his 80-series. Very happy with the Allegis heavy duty slides, especially for the fridge. The heavy duty slides were probably overkill for the smaller drawer under the fridge though. He has the right side drawer loaded up with all his tools and recovery gear and it slides super smooth.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430684927.295130.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430684941.213092.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430684952.264514.jpg

coop74

Old Camping Dude
I just made this for a friend and local club member for his 80-series. Very happy with the Allegis heavy duty slides, especially for the fridge. The heavy duty slides were probably overkill for the smaller drawer under the fridge though. He has the right side drawer loaded up with all his tools and recovery gear and it slides super smooth.

View attachment 283141

View attachment 283142

View attachment 283143
You do great work, need a new friend with a Nissan Frontier

otis24

Observer
The jig comes with a chart. Depends what size wood you are working with. In my case the 3/4 inch birch called for 1 1/4 screws. I used the screws made by jig. I've never built anything out of wood. This was super easy. Did a couple of practice drills on scrap wood first.

I just bought the same jig myself. I haven't really had it long enough to even open the thing. I'm happy to hear it's super easy. Like you I've never built anything out of wood either. I've been trying to think of a simple project to build before I commit to the drawer system. It's a ways off. I'm doing a dual fuel tank system, then some small under hood, under bed LED lights, a bunch of rewiring and some other things.

Yuman Desert Rat

Expedition Leader
Great job, Fireball! Thats a beautiful setup. It looks just like a Trekbox system. Your skills are beyond reproach!! I think a lot more people want to earn your friendship! ;)

4x4v8

Observer
Only problem i see with the 2 tool cases a few posts back is after putting in gear and supplies they will get heavy fast. I use something similar to store my tools and at the end of a long day, I struggle to get it out of the trunk.

Jeffem62

Finished box today with carpet and angle aluminum. Think I'll skip the drawer. Really liking this. Dog tested and approved. Thanks to all who posted builds. It really helped.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    216.4 KB · Views: 228

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Only problem i see with the 2 tool cases a few posts back is after putting in gear and supplies they will get heavy fast. I use something similar to store my tools and at the end of a long day, I struggle to get it out of the trunk.

Yeah I agree. But I'll have it set up to where I can open the top box without removing it. Only need to remove the top box to get to second box which can be open in cab.
Mainly will hold tools and some recovery stuff. Which both are hardly needed but like to have and keep in truck at all times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rayra

Expedition Leader
MOLLE Dog/Cargo Platform that I have been working on over the last couple of days.

8BF8CBA0-F012-4586-B1AD-A0451AA69431_zpsxzzzldkr.jpg

How's your dog going to move around on all those toe holes?

Ribofunk

I've been following this thread for some time. Thanks to all of those that have contributed to this thread. I've gratuitously ripped off your ideas and used the pictures as inspiration to build my own. I've been working on the drawer system and the fridge slide for the back of my FJ back. The FJ is not the ideal vehicle for this type of thing, as you are really constrained by the dimensions. It took quite a bit of work to find the right items that when combined would fit well. But it had to be done. One of the main reasons I wanted to build this is that we are in black bear country and we normally do not camp where we eat. I was so tired of setting up, cooking, cleaning up and then moving to repeat the whole process to sleep. Whatever you needed was always one the bottom and then everything had to come out to get to it.

The fridge is not fully installed because I need to finish up the electrical and will have to remove the entire unit to do so, but I have it fully test fitted everything and it is ready to go. I changed my mind a little on the cutting board design. The electrical setup includes an intelligent battery system (IBS) with LED readout that is mounted in the dash to control the secondary battery system.

Here's the pics of the progress as did the build over the last month of weekends:

Here's the lower compartment which will hold our snow peak IG3 table setup. No more unloading to get to the table! Plus a cubby for all tarp and hiking poles:

20150425_124936.jpg

Some fitting, planning and template making

20150425_140011.jpg

Getting upholstered to match

20150425_165651.jpg

Fridge frame for Engel 45 qt. freezer fridge combo

20150426_162747.jpg

20150426_163150.jpg

Drawer side of the combo going on w/ 500 lb lockout slides

20150426_190058.jpg

Slide extension fitting

20150427_185445.jpg

Some more fitting w/ fridge

20150428_184236.jpg

20150428_184314.jpg

Drawer build

20150502_141451.jpg

Drawer build with front and handle installed with the first version of a cutting board to use to set stuff on and with food prep when all the gear is not deployed.

20150502_144725.jpg

Joining the upper section and lower section together.

20150502_151134.jpg

Painted and upholstered

20150508_175208.jpg

Drawer out with new cutting board. I was able to cut some bamboo cutting boards to size that I found at Bed, Bath and Beyond. Now I don't have to move the whole thing if I need stuff in the drawer and both my wife and I have our own cutting boards for food prep.

20150508_175223.jpg

The recovery gear fits nicely with room to spare. I'm going to reorg all the gear in the back ASAP.

20150508_175256.jpg

So does the fridge

_DSC2644.JPG

_DSC2645.JPG

and the snowpeak IG3 table

_DSC2649.JPG

mm58

Observer
Ribofunk, that's great work! But I'm curious why you decided to box in the fridge. Seems like you're needlessly giving up some cu.in. space.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior