2007 Sequoia...aka The BigTree

BigTree4X4

Roaming Nowhere
Congrats on the house! Very cool.

Ill keep an eye on the thread to see what you do with your suspension, just committed to an 02', guess im joining the club.

Is there a club?

I don't know about a club but I think we should team up with the 1st-Gen Tundras and at least get our own section on expo and out of the Tacoma/4Runner section

drobb

Adventurer
Thanks. I thought when I started looking that the Kings are stock ride height or just level the nose? Can you adjust yours the typical 0"-3" others tend to do? Because I really want run a set of 34X10.5R17 BFG KO2's. I don't think I can do that with just leveling the front end.

I can adjust the front with a spanner wrench. I only went up 1 tire size from stock 265/65/17 to 265/70/17. I do not have the rear air suspension on my Sequoia, so I just have very small spacers on the rear coils. Overall it's about a 2 - 2.5 lift. Sits perfectly level. We spend a TON of time in the SoCal desert and the Sequoia rides awesome!!!.....you're not going to kill whoops at 70mph, but for an almost 6000lb vehicle it does GREAT!!!

wingysataday

Adventurer
this thread has single handedly given me hope for a sequoia. I have been hunting for a decent bumper for days. I would never put that hideous "blue lake" bumper on my rig. Subscribed. There is not much aftermarket support for these big boys. Thanks!

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I can adjust the front with a spanner wrench. I only went up 1 tire size from stock 265/65/17 to 265/70/17. I do not have the rear air suspension on my Sequoia, so I just have very small spacers on the rear coils. Overall it's about a 2 - 2.5 lift. Sits perfectly level. We spend a TON of time in the SoCal desert and the Sequoia rides awesome!!!.....you're not going to kill whoops at 70mph, but for an almost 6000lb vehicle it does GREAT!!!

Hey Dro what tires are you running? I went stock size but put some BFG Rugged Terrains. They've been OK mileage didn't seem to be bothered much we still see 17mpg on road trips no roof rack gear etc. I might be tempted to go up one size next time around if the mileage hit isn't too big. 07 limited with 86,000 miles on it. Super clean CA rig. Zero rust

Retired Tanker

Explorer
Yes..yes..yes!! Finally!! A thread of Sequoia owners!! We have an '05 with about 220K miles on it. I've been looking for off-road bumpers, suspensions, etc for YEARS!! Was actually thinking of designing my own bumper and getting a local shop to cut it out on a CnC plasma cutter...but NOW...that is a GREAT bumper!!

Sorry if this seems over the top; but if you're a Sequoia owner you guys know how hard it is to find off-road stuff...

Wifey and I recently talked about building in a sleeping platform with storage under it for camping, etc. Anyone done any of that?

(Edit: OK, I found the "building out your vehicle thread...)

Last edited:

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Daughters best friend's dad just added a new Jeep Rubicon to his vehicle fleet. Already have talked to him about taking the girls and the trucks for a quick weekend adventure at some point in the future. I need to take the sissy boards off the Sequoia though. I've already pointed out to the wife all they do is get the back of her paint legs dirty. LOL

I did tag a long on a Gwagen trip just north of the Rubicon over a year ago the only weakness with the Sequoia is a lack of rear locker and my 07 doesn't have the brake system that stops spinning wheels across the open diffs. I learned real quick where a locker really changes things vs open diffs in a crossed up situation one front tire and one rear with little to no traction gets you no place fast. LOL The rest of the time even in stock form with running boards and stock sized BFG's the Sequoia has pretty good capability.

BigTree4X4

Roaming Nowhere
New Suspension

I have finally made a decision on my suspension. Recently, I've noticed my front end starting to sag a tad since the install of the front bumper and with 150,000+ miles I'm sure the stock coils and shocks are tired. I did the spacer lift just to get me by and at the time is was my only option I could find. I did tons of research (forums galor, hours and hours) between all the "name brands" like Icon, OME, Fox and King and the only thing that came from that was people have a lot of different opinions. I went to ADS Racing Shocks one day since they are local to see if they could do anything. I sat down with Brian and discussed what I was looking for. Which was for a front suspension that would soak up the desert at a reasonable speed cause I don't need to race the Baja 1000 or anything, handle the weight of the front bumper and future winch, keep my family comfortable on road and off since it is my DD and handle well. As for the rear it was I wanted a little bit more flex, I don't want the rear to sag when I load it up like it does now and be just as comfortable of a ride as the front. So after he made a few calls to Slee and Total Chaos he had designed me an entirely new suspension. He suggested a 2.5" coilover with remote reservoir and a 700lb Eibach spring with a Total Chaos upper control arm for the front suspension and a 2.5" shock with reservoir and an OME 2866 spring (which is a heavy duty 1.5" lift for a 100 series Cruiser). I picked it all up actually a couple months ago and it's just been sitting in my garage staring at me. I figured it was time to share. So hopefully I can get all this installed by the new year since we just purchased a home and I've got a honey do list a mile long. Oh and also I ordered the cheep'o snorkel off Amazon so we shall see if that works out, it'd be nice to keep some of that desert dust out.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpegimage.jpgimage.jpg

seanpistol

Explorer
The 14" 700 lb springs are a good call. They were the best option with my BFF bumper and winch on my Tundra. I have them set at 1.5" of preload.

River19

Observer
Fantastic !!!

Looks like someone shook the money tree pretty hard.......

I hope it works out for you, should be a sweet setup.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne