AT OLW Ongoing Travel Log [Pic Heavy]

at_olw

Observer
Then we headed to the rock springs area, and descended the infamous hill, which was uneventful and seemingly hyped

2015-05-23-MNP-165 copy by at_olw, on Flickr

Rock Springs.

2015-05-23-MNP-165 copy by at_olw, on Flickr

Petroglyphs.

2015-05-23-MNP-166 copy by at_olw, on Flickr

The story behind this house is an interesting one. I guess desert air really does improve one's health :)

2015-05-23-MNP-175 copy by at_olw, on Flickr

Although I think more it may have something to do with this view.

2015-05-23-MNP-181 copy by at_olw, on Flickr

Or perhaps this one.

2015-05-23-MNP-188 copy by at_olw, on Flickr

No Glory There.

2015-05-23-MNP-195 copy by at_olw, on Flickr

at_olw

Observer
We headed to the New York Mountains and then up and around to Caruthers Canyon, where we intended to camp at Camp Phallus. We ended up giving the site to another group that had 4-5 vehicles, since they weren't going to be able to camp together anywhere else around there, and continued up the canyon. I think our campsite worked out just fine.

2015-05-24-MNP-208 copy by at_olw, on Flickr

The sunset view from a boulder adjacent to camp.

2015-05-23-MNP-200 copy by at_olw, on Flickr

The next morning we decided to climb one of the rock pile/peak things. The view was rewarding.

2015-05-24-MNP-227 copy by at_olw, on Flickr

The ascent had its share of hazards. A couple drop-offs and its fair share of prickly vegetation.

2015-05-24-MNP-236 copy by at_olw, on Flickr

The view back towards camp.

2015-05-24-MNP-230 copy by at_olw, on Flickr

at_olw

Observer
The cool part about Caruthers is that it actually required 4wd. I ran all of Mojave road in 2wd except for the one hill decent, and I'm not sure I even needed to do that. Just barely lifting a tire.

2015-05-24-MNP-248 copy by at_olw, on Flickr

It still wasn't technical driving. Being a goofball.

2015-05-24-MNP-251 copy by at_olw, on Flickr

Almost full stuff.

2015-05-24-MNP-258 copy by at_olw, on Flickr

No tires lifted here :D

2015-05-24-MNP-265 copy by at_olw, on Flickr

I'm don't think I'd want to do Mojave Road again, but I'd definitely come back to the new york mountains and explore the other 4x roads.
 

Last edited:

at_olw

Observer
Continuing along Mojave road. Lots of Joshua trees. And one inconsiderate driver heading the opposite direction, which resulted in me getting a cactus embedded in a sidewall. Not fun.

2015-05-24-MNP-278 copy by at_olw, on Flickr

The well photographed, and frustratingly vandalized bus.

2015-05-24-MNP-284 copy by at_olw, on Flickr

Near Fort Piute, where the road conditions were tiresome.

2015-05-24-MNP-285 copy by at_olw, on Flickr

We finished the trail, and dumped out on the Colorado river, to see the watersports world in full effect. Makes sense given it was Sunday of Memorial Day weekend. Pretty wild.

We ended up scooting up to pavement, and then heading back into the preserve, camping near Cima. Long day. Nice campsite.

2015-05-25-MNP-297 copy by at_olw, on Flickr

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
Great pictures and report. I love 90s Toyota truck!
But -
"The story behind this house is an interesting one. I guess desert air really does improve one's health "

What is the story?

grogie

Like to Camp
Beautiful pictures, and looks like a great adventure! Thanks for sharing.

Such a beautiful part of the country...

at_olw

Observer
Great pictures and report. I love 90s Toyota truck!
But -
"The story behind this house is an interesting one. I guess desert air really does improve one's health "

What is the story?

Thanks!

That rock house was build by a world War I vet who was exposed to poison gas and given <1 yr to live. He moved out there in hopes that the desert air would help, and lived for something around 25 more years!

Beautiful pictures, and looks like a great adventure! Thanks for sharing.

Such a beautiful part of the country...

Thank you for reading!

It really is :)

at_olw

Observer
Did a quick trip this weekend to test out the new (to me) RTT and hang out with friends around the campfire.

I blew it and forgot to bring memory cards for the nice cameras :eek:

So, here's just one iphone shot:

2015-06-07-Pine-004 by at_olw, on Flickr

92shawman

It sure was! Thanks for posting Allan.

It's nice. Too nice. :eek:

You'll get to check it out next trip we go on :D

Haha, we'll have to see when that is...I've got trips every weekend coming up and I still have to fix my front end. I'm hoping the parts show up before this weekend since this is the last weekend I have free until the end of September.

at_olw

Observer
Haha, we'll have to see when that is...I've got trips every weekend coming up and I still have to fix my front end. I'm hoping the parts show up before this weekend since this is the last weekend I have free until the end of September.

Yeah, I'm booked through June and then I believe you're heading south. I figured it'd be once you're back stateside. Good luck with the front end stuff!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94