WHERES ALAN?

blackduck

Explorer
I note that alans threads have disappeared from the forum
I did note that some of the posts relating to the trax he had developed were for some reason scrubbed from his project build thread
not sure if this is a free speech issue. (funny old term free speech)
it would be a pity to think that the censors have driven someone who develops and contributes to the very limited range of non industrial aftermarket goodies has been driven to the point of exclusion
for one we now loose his insight and fantastic build project
not to mention his rapier wit and appreciation for things beige

any insight????

haven

Expedition Leader
Alan recently started a thread in which he was offering a product for sale. ExPo has a rule that members have to be supporting sponsors to advertise and promote products like this. The thread was taken down, and Alan was informed of the rule.

Alan didn't agree with this treatment, and he announced to the moderators that he would depart ExPo. Looks like he deleted other threads he started on the way out the door.

Every ExPo member has the ability to delete posts they have made. If the post starts a thread, then the entire thread will be deleted. This is controversial, since other members' posts will be deleted too.

The moderators have polled members in the past about changing the ability to delete a thread. So far, no clear consensus to change the ability to delete a thread has emerged.

GR8ADV

Explorer
Having to be a sponsoring member to promote a product seems heavy handed and not in the interest of the members as noted here. Many forums like this have a vendor only section where all promotion of the company and its products go. I suggest this for this forum as it would also serve to get the vendor threads, which are clearly promotional out of he mainstream member threads.

GR8ADV

Explorer
Every ExPo member has the ability to delete posts they have made. If the post starts a thread, then the entire thread will be deleted. This is controversial, since other members' posts will be deleted too.

The moderators have polled members in the past ....

I believe that once posted the post is the property of the forum and not the OP. The OP can edit to deletion but the post and ensuing thread should be in he hands of the forum and its mods

haven

Expedition Leader
I agree that it's a good idea to treat businesses just starting out differently from established companies. We have a news section where posts announcing new products can be made. Alan was offered this alternative.

I'll ask the site admins to consider changing where vendors can post. We might also talk about where it's appropriate for members to post personal for sale items. Recently, more posts selling stuff have appeared in the discussion forums.

Endoftheroad

As this is my only online resource for all things Fuso, losing Alan's expertise and enthusiasm is a real loss. I understand the general premise of the site rules, but I think as we (Fuso/canter people) are such a tiny and specific group, that products and trucks related should be allowed here. I'm not going to find those products elsewhere on this site. Besides, Alan's threads are some of the best informed/ highly detailed/interesting threads here. He's a valuable resource for the community- work something out..
.. Rules, I don't like rules...

Maninga

Adventurer
Wow, that's a real shame. My first question about this is, what's the difference between the trax he'd promoted/shown off and the super single conversion he previously developed and promoted/discussed? Both are products aimed at a small niche.

Does anyone have contact details for him?

canter tourer

Adventurer
Wow, that's a real shame. My first question about this is, what's the difference between the trax he'd promoted/shown off and the super single conversion he previously developed and promoted/discussed? Both are products aimed at a small niche.

Exactly, I assume someone complained about his posts, poor form if that's the case, as any benefit he may have gained through selling stuff, was far outweighed by his contribution to this community. We are all the losers in this.

Does anyone have contact details for him?

http://www.outbackaccessories.com/ This is Alan's business.

Like many on here, I look at nothing else on this site, as I only come here for canter related stuff, but Alan also contributed to other areas, good on him.

One unhappy Aussie here!

Last edited:

haven

Expedition Leader
"what's the difference between the trax he'd promoted/shown off and the super single conversion he previously developed"

Maybe no one complained about the super single product. I didn't notice any prices being mentioned, but I didn't read the thread closely. In the case of the new traction mat product, the first post gave a price, and later in the thread Alan offered free shipping to the first few orders. That's too commercial for me.

Scott Brady

Founder
I will reach out to Alan. We will make adjustments to the moderation policies to ensure these situations are both easier for the member and the moderators. Thanks!

Last edited:

Fugly

Adventurer
Fair crack of the whip....
Bloody un Australian ...
Give the bloke a go ....
Strike me flamin pink....

Cheers
Fugly

Scott Brady

Founder
Update: I have sent Alan an email. Hopefully we can get this worked out quickly- back to your regularly scheduled programming :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94