Coffee Makers?

dakota123

Adventurer
Those of you who have expedition trailers what do you use as a coffee maker? Im not a coffee drinker myself however my girlfriend is and if she doesn't get her morning coffee she's pretty scary haha

DaveNay

Adventurer
Nescafe is actually pretty darn good if you don't want to buy a purpose specific device (just add boiling water).

thethePete

Explorer
Moka or french press if you're only making for her or maybe an extra cup. Best coffee for sure, the only draw back being that you can't make a very large quantity with either option. Percolator for large volume production at camp.

You can get a decent Moka or press for under $15 if you look around.

Dake21

Adventurer
Coffee is the thing I'd rather do it right or not at all. I use an espro double filter french press, it keeps the coffee warm for a very long time and give a texture just as good as a starbuck coffee. Also it won't break if you drop it. They also have travel presses but I havn't tried them. I want one or two :sombrero:

dakota123

Adventurer
It will only be for my girlfriend so its actually a plus if it only makes one cup. Thanks for the replies! How exactly does that Moka thing work?

mallthus

Pretty good at some stuff
I'm in with the French press crowd.

Pros:
  • Great tasting coffee.
  • They don't care how you heat your water.
  • The pots themselves are cheap.
  • They're very forgiving of coffee grind coarseness.

Cons:
  • They tend to be glass, which is breakable.
  • They can be a pain to clean...in fact, the better they make coffee, the harder they are to clean.

summerprophet

Adventurer
I like the GSI French press. It is large (I think 40 oz) easy to clean and unbreakable. More volume than the OP needs, but a good product non the less.

So I have been lurking on these boards for a long time, but coffee is a passion and feel like I can add something so here goes my first ever post :)

I never leave home without at least two different coffee systems ( I might be an addict). I also love and frequently use the Moka. Just set it up, place on a flame source and brown goodness will emerge shortly. Drawbacks with Moka are the size and having to wait for it to cool down before packing up.

Another system that I frequently use is the Gamila Impress Coffee Brewer. It works like a french press but does two things differently. First it's made of metal so I can't break it. Second it actually stops brewing when you drop the plunger so the coffee doesn't get bitter over time in the mug. I also like that I can pull out the plunger and use it as a normal mug for cold frosty beverages at night. The disadvantage to the Gamila Impress is that you have to boil the water first, and then transfer it to the press. If you do it correctly, it will make enough coffee for two cups. Another draw back of the Gamila Impress is that it takes more water than the Moka to clean it out.
Coffee 3.jpg
Coffee 1.jpg
Coffee 4.jpg

The other component of good coffee (this might make me a snob, not an addict) are the beans. For short trips I get lazy and buy ground coffee, but for longer (more than a weekend) trips I bring whole bean and grind it fresh each morning. The smallest, adjustable, ceramic, hand grinder I have found is the Porlex Mini Stainless Steel Coffee Grinder. The handle comes off which makes it really easy to pack. One filled up reservoir on the porlex works in either my Moka or my Gamila Impress.

Coffee Grinder.jpg

Hope this helps. (and I also hope the photos and links show up correctly!)

Honu

lost on the mainland
I used to be into coffee mostly espresso to the point I have a commercial machine in my home fully plumbed in and on a dedicated 20 amp breaker and custom roasted beans if older than a week they go away kinda fanatic :)
quit drinking coffee as I developed something like a allergy to it ? so got into tea :)

as far as espresso the only thing that comes close and does well is the mypressi
everything else is coffee even though some say aeropress or moka is like espresso its not !

as far as some of the best cups of coffee I have gotten are out of a aeropress as one can vary the grind time temp which is what controls the coffee flavor etc... of course good beans are the only way to make good coffee its simple and very tough things really dont go wrong with it and clean up is easy found its easier to control and change than any other press

moka pots are also awesome coffee but the clean up is a bit more and its always the same which can be a good thing once you get it nailed down in grind etc... the flavor IMHO is Moka not espresso and not a regular cup so something you would want to see what she likes at home :)

all are cheap enough to get and try out get a nice moka and aeropress and see
IMHO any coffee lover should have a bit of everything :)

check out http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...Pharos-Coffee-Hand-Grinder?highlight=mypressi
some of us carry things to great lengths and its worth it once you get into it :)

if you are not bringing a grinder along and doing really fresh coffee I suggest some of the more instant forms these days and see what she thinks ? there is a balance of easy and fast with no clean up vs better tasting more work as in grinding and cleaning

six sons

Observer
Works like an old fashioned percolator. Fill bottom with water, add desired quantity of espresso ground coffee and perc. until the transfer from bottom to top is complete. I use this to brew a full pot that equates to a mug full of nice strong brew.
They are sold in various sizes and as said previously can be had for $15.
Coffee is the thing I'd rather do it right or not at all. I use an espro double filter french press, it keeps the coffee warm for a very long time and give a texture just as good as a starbuck coffee. Also it won't break if you drop it. They also have travel presses but I havn't tried them. I want one or two :sombrero:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier