Reports of Scepter 'civilian' 5gal gas cans at Costco for $15

MOguy

Explorer
You're missing the context. A) Of course, if you have "mission critical" equipment, it makes sense to pay a bit more for quality/reliability/dependability. B) Jmacs was implying that the merchandise sold at Costco is generally cheaply made or "knock-off" type goods, and that's why their prices are low. That's just simply not the case. Costco's prices are low because they limit their mark-up and don't actually make money off of their retail sales. Whether or not somebody should buy this particular product for expedition/overland use is a separate issue from that (I personally wouldn't - although that said, I've never had a gas can, including cheap ones, leak anywhere other than the nozzle while pouring from it before).

I have had lessor expense cans split at the seams. This was after about 2 days (1000 miles) of freeway driving.

rayra

Expedition Leader
MOguy give it a rest, we get it, you don't like them and are determined to **** on them. Do you by any chance have any fiduciary interest in more expensive fuel containers? Because you sure are acting like these are taking money out of your pocket.

--

I've checked my closest two Costcos, they don't have them. I'll have to look farther afield or find more first-person reviews of them. Or find them somewhere else.

rayra

Expedition Leader
I have had lessor expense cans split at the seams. This was after about 2 days (1000 miles) of freeway driving.

AGAIN with the 'seams' noise. Standard milspec Specter fuel cans ARE MADE IN THE SAME MANNER. Do you damn them too? IT'S NOT A SEAM. It's a casting mark where the mold pieces join, the plastic itself is continuous at the SUPERFICIAL SURFACE MARK.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Is THIS a "seam", MOguy? Do you think this MFC will split there?

scepter_can_FIG10.jpg

MOguy

Explorer
AGAIN with the 'seams' noise. Standard milspec Specter fuel cans ARE MADE IN THE SAME MANNER. Do you damn them too? IT'S NOT A SEAM. It's a casting mark where the mold pieces join, the plastic itself is continuous at the SUPERFICIAL SURFACE MARK.

I said I had cheap ones split at the seams. I never said they were the cheap scepter cans. Those cheap scepter cans are half as thick as the military ones. They are not the same can. I have used the military ones for almost two decades and never had an issue with those.. If I wanted a cheap gas can the cheap specters would be fine but I dont want a cheap gas can.

Last edited:

texascrane

Adventurer
I had a chance to handle these cans at Costco over the weekend. While I would prefer to have an MFC, if you told me that I had to use one on an excursion somewhere, I certainly wouldn't be upset about it. They appear to be very robust. It's definitely not a cheap gas can. If I didn't already have metal jerry cans, I would probably pick up a few of them. In fact, I might grab a couple just to have some extras around the house.

A&F

How are people not understanding this?

These are not two pieces being welded together, it's one piece with some mold flash...

MOguy

Explorer
I dunno. Some folks dont understand the light in their 'fridge switches off either... :drool:

I have several times experience roto/blow mold products split along their mold parting lines. I suspect the line serves as sort of stress riser.
Its usually lesser quality goods, aged and or stressed over time. I would not anticipate anything from Scepter failing in that fashion.

according to Scepter these are their eco line fuel cans:

http://www.scepterconsumer.com/ Blow-moulded polyethylene fuel container

Scepter was the first to introduce a blow-moulded polyethylene fuel container in the late 1950s. And, we were among the first to introduce a full line of CARB and OTC compliant fuel containers. Our environmentally friendly containers reduce smog-forming emissions and spills. Our Eco fuel containers provide self-venting, self-regulating spouts and child resistant closure caps (CRCs).

Last edited:

406expo

Adventurer
I bought a couple of these a few weeks ago at costco as well. They are by far my favorite carb compliant fuel cans, however that doesn't say much. I figured they would be okay for fueling the chain saw, lawn mower, etc. They feel very robust for the price and sure look like it will fit my military fuel can holders. I guess I should have tried fitting them but didn't even think about it.

Upon use I WAS VERY DISAPPOINTED. Those darn carb spouts that they use leak all the time on me. These cheap cans would be amazing if we could find a workaround to put just a plain pour spout or just some tubing or something. Kinda like the guys here that posted the DIY to make a high flow pour spout. Something like that and a solid cap would be AMAZING. Thats would stop me from paying fifty bucks on ebay to buy them used or planning treks into Canada to buy some and bring back.

All that said, if I was going to use carb cans and was looking to go real cheap this is the ticket. They are much easier to store and use than the normal gas cans that are wide and short.

406expo

Adventurer
to bad I dont know what the threads are on the mouth of this fuel can. We could likely machine some nice caps up to fit these for the price the cans go for it might not be a bad idea.

OH9JK

Observer
My local Tractor Supply store carries these in three flavors....red gas, yellow diesel and blue water. They run around $20 each.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles