new recovery tracks for large offroad vehicles

GR8ADV

Explorer
I am in the market. Too many choices. Seems like all of these from cheap to expensive appear to work about the same, with the exception of breakage. These seem flexy enough not to break, but clearly not a bridge candidate. I like the added length. Do these have differing height studs? I have always thought that would reduce tire slippage. Especially with some longer studs to get into the tread lugs. Of course now we are talking a decent material and not cheap plastic so they don't shear off. A key for me is stack ability as well. Four max trax are a nice package. How do these stack up. Pun intended. Somebody do a review already. Haha

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
Somebody do a review already. Haha
As soon as mine arrive [SUB](yes I'm one of the lucky winners......d'oth......testers/reviews)[/SUB] I'll get cracking. I currently have surplus PSP steel mat (true left over from WWII stuff) and large rubber mining convert belt mats to compare head to head with. I'm try to find someone in the local area with Maxtrax for a head to head comparison. No snow or mud testing to start as it is 105F in southern Oregon this week

PeteFox

Recover tracks have arrived

G'day
I've had Alans recovery tracks for a few days now and have finally found time to report back. No road test yet though, just a general description.

Tracks are packaged in a cardboard box marked 'Made in Taiwan PRC', it's pleasing to see that not everything is made in mainland China.
They weigh in at 5.7kg each, are 1500mm long and 430mm wide at the widest point. They have four large oval holes as mounting points and to strap together with the supplied Velcro straps. The plastic material seems very tough using a screwdriver test.

2.jpg

The photo shows a top and underneath view of the tracks they seems well ribbed but if they fill with mud it's going to be a heavy lift.

4.jpg
The individual 'lugs' on the track sit 9mm high and are pointed. Spacing ranges between 40mm~25mm depending on its position.

1.jpg

This image gives a view of the track next to the largest/strongest tracks I had previously been able to find. The vehicle in the background is a Land Rover 6x6 with a 950mm axle spacing and 235 85 R16 tyres and I think the tracks will usable even in a 2 axle situation. The yellow tracks in the photo could be strapped together to make a single long track but I don't think that will be possible with these new ones but they are plenty long enough for a large 4x4.
Pete

Aussie Iron

Explorer
Well maybe there will be a sixth set for you to test out as you would be one of the best testers out there looking from the pictures you posted from previous trips! Kudos to Alan for doing this too, thats confidence!

Well I have been lucky and a set of recovery tracks were delivered to me to try out on our trip to the Cape. You know now I have to try and get bogged so we can use them. And yes we will try to get video that is suitable to show of there use.

Thanks to Alan for sending me a set,
Dan.

Beamer pilot

Explorer
Most of the year the problem in this area is snow, (yes we still have snow here at high elevation) so if anybody gets a chance to try them in winter and report it would be appreciated.
Thanks.

GR8ADV

Explorer
G'day
I've had Alans recovery tracks for a few days now and have finally found time to report back. No road test yet though, just a general description.

Tracks are packaged in a cardboard box marked 'Made in Taiwan PRC', it's pleasing to see that not everything is made in mainland China.
They weigh in at 5.7kg each, are 1500mm long and 430mm wide at the widest point. They have four large oval holes as mounting points and to strap together with the supplied Velcro straps. The plastic material seems very tough using a screwdriver test.

View attachment 293900

The photo shows a top and underneath view of the tracks they seems well ribbed but if they fill with mud it's going to be a heavy lift.

View attachment 293901
The individual 'lugs' on the track sit 9mm high and are pointed. Spacing ranges between 40mm~25mm depending on its position.

View attachment 293902

This image gives a view of the track next to the largest/strongest tracks I had previously been able to find. The vehicle in the background is a Land Rover 6x6 with a 950mm axle spacing and 235 85 R16 tyres and I think the tracks will usable even in a 2 axle situation. The yellow tracks in the photo could be strapped together to make a single long track but I don't think that will be possible with these new ones but they are plenty long enough for a large 4x4.
Pete

Can you show us how well they stack together? thanks

awisernig

Can these be purchased anywhere yet? I'm in the market for my Earthcruiser and might as well go with something designed for these larger vehicles.

PeteFox

Wow that is only 5mm short of 4 max trax stacked.

Yes fair enough, but the underneath ribbing on Alan's tracks are full depth but on a Maxtrax they are only a few mm. I think that you may need to have your Maxtrax doubled up to get the same strength as Alan's
Pete

GR8ADV

Explorer
Yes fair enough, but the underneath ribbing on Alan's tracks are full depth but on a Maxtrax they are only a few mm. I think that you may need to have your Maxtrax doubled up to get the same strength as Alan's
Pete

And by strength you are referring to what? thanks

PeteFox

And by strength you are referring to what? thanks

The ability not to turn into a banana that wraps around your wheel in soft going.
We're not talking about Landcruiser weight here we're talking about large strong tracks for heavy vehicles. I thought that was the point. If we wanted Maxtrx and they did the job with heavy trucks, then Alan's wasted his time. I don't think so.

GR8ADV

Explorer
The ability not to turn into a banana that wraps around your wheel in soft going.
We're not talking about Landcruiser weight here we're talking about large strong tracks for heavy vehicles. I thought that was the point. If we wanted Maxtrx and they did the job with heavy trucks, then Alan's wasted his time. I don't think so.

Ah ok. I have seen video of max trax (somewhat) bridging the front axle of a fuso. If that is what you are calling strength, these seem to fold of at the curb per Allan's photos. No knock on the product , just trying to understand your comment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles