How do you do it!?!

howirolla

Campfire Passport
Hello everyone, long time lurker, first time poster here.
For my first post I just gotta ask, how do you guys do it!? How do you pack everything you need for everyone in JUST your rig, no trailers allowed!
I have a small family, myself, wife, 2 youngsters (nearly 6, and nearly 3) plus a bassethound. I currently have a truck bed trailer that I picked up on the cheap, then built a rack for it, and got a Mombasa RTT to toss on top. I had wanted a RTT for years, but always thought putting it on a trailer would be best because I liked the idea of being able to leave all my stuff at camp and then go out wheelin for the day. Just this summer we went on a trip from Oregon down to Moab with this set up, mind set, and game plan, good times had by all.
So my issue now, is that I have been battling in my head with wanting to change things up and cut the trailer out of my equation. Not having to worry about being able to get in or out of tight spots, being able to do more difficult trails, being able to literally camp where ever the hell my rig can get me sounds better and better every day. But in that I am having a hard time figuring out all the logistics! Its much more difficult to figure this stuff out when you have the family!
So family Expedition Portalers, how do you get it done with no trailer?
pics for clicks of my set up

yes I know my tent doesn't match the livery on the trailer haha

so my current plan options are, modify the trailer to be more trail-able, and just deal with the fact that I may not be able to do everything I would like. OR put the tent on the roof with a smaller rack in front of it, and build a storage solution for the cargo area in the rig that still allows space for the dog.

Show me how you guys do an overlanding trip, w/o a trailer, family in tow.

toymaster

Explorer
Off hand, your answer may be a more trail capable trailer, lighter & smaller. A slight lift and slightly bigger tires will help your nice rig also....

howirolla

Campfire Passport
lift and tires are indeed on the plan book, my first goal was the center diff lock though, which I have acquired, now just needs install.
unfortunately a different trailer isn't an option, I don't have the sort of cash flow required to get into one of those off road ready trailers, which is why I mentioned doing modifications to my trailer being a possibility.

racehorse

Adventurer
Key for me: fridge in the middle

I'm grappling with the same issue in my LR3 - First, removed the middle seat - still keeps the outside seats for infant and toddler. I installed and hardwired my engel fridge in the center. That removes the huge tank of a fridge box from the back hatch area and brings it forward. That was KEY for me and also makes it really easy to get a cold drink or food or whatever while in transit. The fridge top also acts as a table for the kids. I also ordered a metal drawer to go underneath allowing more storage. With the transit bag, it almost looks like it belongs there.

From there, I imagine drawers in the back hatch area would help as well with recovery, kitchen, stove, etc inside. I put soft stuff, gas(rotopax) shovel, firewood, potty stuff up top on the roof rack to keep the weight minimal. Currently also looking at how best to store water. Turbo tent gets shoved into the back against the seats. Also looking at middle floor storage since the kids don't put their feet all the way down on the ground being in car seats and the storage case of some kind would actually help them into their seats. That's kind of my start at it.

Attachments

• fridge22.jpg
    fridge22.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 980
  • fridge1.jpg
    fridge1.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 974
Last edited:

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Get really efficient

Lets see...

We do it with a JKU, a first grader, and an infant. I'm thinking the decadent space afforded by a Rover is just pure luxury.

Everyone gets one carry on and one personal item. dad strictly enforces carry on rules. Normal wheelin stuff and vehicle stuff is jammed under seats. Fridge, kitchen, water and food boxes in back, with personal duffels across the top. Rooftop tents hold sleeping gear, pillows, blankets, stuffed animals. Folding chairs strapped to the rack or jammed along the windows.

Personal entertainment items in small bags at each persons feet. Get out and hike a lot. Apply alcohol liberally at camp each night... Remember you convinced her this would be fun...

We don't carry firewood or large propane, we use a less is more philosophy...

If you can backpack, you can make this work.

Honestly though, we are considering a trailer...

howirolla

Campfire Passport
I'm grappling with the same issue in my LR3 - First, removed the middle seat - still keeps the outside seats for infant and toddler. I installed and hardwired my engel fridge in the center. That removes the huge tank of a fridge box from the back hatch area and brings it forward. That was KEY for me and also makes it really easy to get a cold drink or food or whatever while in transit. The fridge top also acts as a table for the kids. I also ordered a metal drawer to go underneath allowing more storage. With the transit bag, it almost looks like it belongs there.

From there, I imagine drawers in the back hatch area would help as well with recovery, kitchen, stove, etc inside. I put soft stuff, gas(rotopax) shovel, firewood, potty stuff up top on the roof rack to keep the weight minimal. Currently also looking at how best to store water. Turbo tent gets shoved into the back against the seats. Also looking at middle floor storage since the kids don't put their feet all the way down on the ground being in car seats and the storage case of some kind would actually help them into their seats. That's kind of my start at it.

I think I saw pictures of your set up with the middle seat being gone, killer idea. too bad for me the disco2 doesn't have that feature. but my wife does know that an LR3 is on my radar as an eventual D2 replacement...

tarditi

Explorer
Wrangler Unlimited here, too - family of 4.

I sort of cheat - hitch carrier... but intent on getting a trailer for ease-of-setup/teardown. When we're all packed up it's really hard to get to the fridge, so we need a small sift-sided "trip cooler," which sort of defeats the purpose. I also have to load/unload in a particular sequence, which is based on what fits where, not by what I need at a given time.

We've tried scaling back, tried scaling down - I've done some lightweight backpacking and can minimize, but the family just isn't into that scene, and I want them to be comfortable and enjoy themselves.

I'm embracing the trailer, really. :)

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
It really is just a matter of "pack light".

There's a guy in my local group (also here on ExPo, but I won't name him unless he names himself) who used to go out with a family of 5, with 2 of the kids still in various car seats or boosters, in just an XJ.

The kids are older now, and they've changed the rig once or twice since, but I've had many conversations with him about how they were able to fully exploit every cubic inch of cargo volume and square inch of roof rack. It was a squeeze, but they did it.

Brique

I can't add much other than to repeat what was said earlier- if backpackers can do it with what they can carry, then there's gotta be a way to do it with a truck. I think a custom storage solution is gonna be in your future, though.

I'll have a better answer in a couple years when our 2001 4runner enters stage 2 and we start expo building her. I'll be relying heavily on my wife's 3d Tetris skills to design a workable solution.

GordoSmasho

Observer
8b849fac95b432a61238a43af8bd03d6.jpg

We make it work with a two door xj, wife, three kids 5,7,9. Gotta pack light. We use ground tents. I have heavily refined since this outing and picked up rack and fridge since then as well. Man what i could do with a discovery cargo compartment.

Last edited:

GeoRoss

Adventurer
FZJ80, with a wife and three children 9-14. Fitting everything in is a struggle, but we have it down to a science that works for us.

#1, rear bumper carrier can hold 20 gallons of water. I don't have to carry water in the truck.

#2, Yakima skybox. It is a big one and hold all the sleeping pads, sleeping bags, lightweight nylon tarps and pillows.

We couldn't do it easily otherwise without those two things. That means all that is in the rear of the Land Cruiser is the cooler, action packer chuckbox, food, recovery gear/tools, daypacks, table, chairs, tent, awning, clothes bags, etc. After I strap everything down I can still use the rear view mirror without trouble. We can do 5 days unsupported right now. That 5th day better be short though. Water is usually our limiting factor.

It can be done, just start approaching car camping like backpacking and you'll be surprised at what you can do without. We use coleman canisters and not a large LP tank. No lanterns, just headlamps. Two pairs of shoes, hiking boots or flipflob/keens. Be smart about food. We usually prepare and freeze a couple of meals. Reduced the amount of ice needed in the cooler. While I would love a fridge, the volume they carry vs footprint might cause us trouble compared to a good ice chest. Since we have a bit a room to spare, it may be a wash and a moot point. I will say the key for us was getting the water out of the truck and a good storage spot for the light stuff on the roof. Without the Yamima Skybox we could do it, but packed to the roof.

The good news is there are a thousand right answers, you just need to find a way to minimize both the quantity and size of the stuff you bring in way that still works for you. Creative packing works to. It is amazing all the nooks and crannies that will hold a shoe.

Now that the youngest is getting bigger, I want to utilize one of the rear seats so everyone has more room. Sadly, that means a trailer for us. I'm not interested in putting more on the roof. The bonus of a trailer is we can start bringing our mountain bikes and more water. That means more time away from civilization. :jumping:

rayra

Expedition Leader
Redefine your Needs vs Wants. Redefine 'comfort' items. Redefine cleanliness and frequency of clothing changes. Fresh underwear and socks for every day but less so for outer garments. Learn to love wrinkles. 2 pairs of shoes only, hikers and rafting sandals. Lose the space consuming extravagances of a RTT (you aren't in the serengeti) and rediscover the simple, inexpensive and much less space consuming joy of a family-sized two-room ground tent. Get a hitch rack for your icechest / chuck box, evict those space hogs out of your interior space. Use zippered fabric duffles instead of rigid containers for all your packing needs. use that recouped roof rack space for your duffel storage. Learn to pack better, with no wasted space. Get a bigger vehicle, one with more interior volume. If momma / girls ain't happy without a crap-ton of stuff, reappraise your 'family outing' plans to something like tent camps or the Ahwahnee Lodge. Put everybody in a room with a hot shower and clean sheets at night and run them ragged in the outdoors during the day.

howirolla

Campfire Passport
one thing I wont loose is the RTT. the advantages of having it up there far out weighs the loss of roof space not only for myself but the family as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94