Looking at a 91 FJ80 this weekend, need advice

furdown

I am looking at getting into my first Land Cruiser, anything specific to a LC that I need to check out on it. I am completely new to the LC game and don't know anything about them. Here's what I'm looking at:

1991 FJ80
2.5 OME lift
33" BFG All Terrians(new)
Center Diff Lock

From the pics I have seen it looks pretty clean on the exterior. The interior is in ok shape, with a few stains in the carpet and the driver seat is ripped up some. All foam looks to be in tack, and the rest of the seats look fine. I don't think it's to bad for a 24 yr old vehicle. I am in the DFW, TX area so what price range should I be looking at for this? What is the low spec for oil pressure on the 3FE?

Thanks

fullybalanced

Too many plans, not enough time
maint records... with those 240k is no problem. head gasket and heater hose should have been addressed look for leaks around the birfs (expensive fix). any codes having to do with smog.... other than that they are bullet proof.

arcteryx

Adventurer
Slee's site is good info, start there.

In general, 80 3FEs are slow but durable. Birfs and an axle job are not bad and not too $$$ either and you could do it in a weekend, many write ups on how to do it. They do get cracked heads if they overheat and that can be a pricey repair. If possible, do a compression test on it. Anything under 100 is considered a dead cylinder. You want all of them within 15psi.

furdown

I am a engine tech, so the engine I should have covered. I know my way around a 4x4 pretty decent, just looking for the stuff I didn't know they had, like the birfs lol. Never seen those. thanks

txnight

Adventurer
Yes, it's a noticeable difference in power. 95-97 models are widely considered to be the sweet spot for the 80 series.

The one that I posted has been on c list for a few months. Maybe he is now willing to make a deal.

fjtoyman

The difference is between the 92 and 93 model years. The earlier had an old style 6 that has only 4 main bearings with fuel injection added where there once was carburetors. The later had a more robust inline 6 with 7 main bearings, smoother with more hp. Read the slee site or ih8mud.com for good reading before you jump into this epic rig.
The 91 & 92's are still a classic but are power challenged.
Good luck, hope you find what you want.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

REDrum

Aventurero de la Selva
3FE are very underpowered for the 80 series platform, and only gets worse with adding bigger than stock tires. I have two FZJ80 (with 1FZFE engines) and they are remarkable quicker and slightly better MPG than buddies FJ80s. Both of which are trying to figure out how to add 1HD-TD engines their trucks... You can throw modest amounts of money at rust, head gaskets, and leaky birfs; but to fix a underpowered engine in a FJ80 is gunna cost a lot of money.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I'm going to be (AGAIN!!!) the voice of reason. The 3FE is NOT a sportscars engine. But it is not intended to be. If you are just tooling around in the country, or using it offroad, they are a dead reliable engine. Fast? No. But you are not (and should not be) buying a '91 or any year 80 series to go fast. I read these threads time and again where the lack of power is commented on. Let's be realistic and say "they don't make as much power as newer models, but are fine for their era and INTENDED USE".

OP: just go drive it and see what you think. The 60 series and early 80 series are very simple to work on and super reliable.

Upland80

Adventurer
The difference is between the 92 and 93 model years. The earlier had an old style 6 that has only 4 main bearings with fuel injection added where there once was carburetors. The later had a more robust inline 6 with 7 main bearings, smoother with more hp. Read the slee site or ih8mud.com for good reading before you jump into this epic rig.
The 91 & 92's are still a classic but are power challenged.
Good luck, hope you find what you want.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Not accurate. The 93-97 all have a 1fz-fe. 93-94 OBD-1 95-97 OBD-II and airbags. 91-92 (FJ80) have a 3FE which is much slower but the iron head vs. the aluminum on the 1fz-fe is much less prone to head gasket failure. 93-97 (FZJ80) all have available diff locks as an option. Do not get a Trooper...the 91-97 Land Cruiser in any variant is a MUCH better option!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shevy5000