Transfer in from G-Wagen needs help with wheels

JumpJ

Adventurer
Hi Montero Fans. Just arrived from the gas heaving world of G-Wagen which I loved but back to Montero and on my second in my life. The last one had 300,000 miles many moons ago was finally laid to rest with one cylinder blown, the roof cut off and still chugged its way through the NM desert. ON the new one I'm not in love with the wheels. I want to go to a more plain jane winter wheel/steel/nato whichever term you prefer. I have a set of those from an FJ cruiser available to me but wanted to see if anyone had experience with these. The bolt pattern is identical but does that mean they will fit. OEM is the next stop but before I do I wanted to check and see. If anyone interested in my current wheels let me know although until I get new ones on I sorta need them.

Cheers and Thanks for the input on this subject matter.

Attachments

• IMG_1605[1].jpg
    IMG_1605[1].jpg
    536.3 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1614[1].jpg
    IMG_1614[1].jpg
    523.1 KB · Views: 42

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
FJ wheels have been fitted to more than a few Monteros on here and will fit your gen 3 without issue, the 16x7 FJ wheel with 255/85r16 tires is a common setup. You can find relevant threads via the search function or google. Those Enkei wheels you have now are actually a pretty good wheel, in addition to aftermarket wheels they build the OEM wheels for about 30-40% of cars on the road, If you simply flipped the tires to the all black side showing it would change the overall appearance to a more plain look.

Eric M

Adventurer
FJC wheels won't work on the gen 3, the center bore is too large. Unless you find someone to make you custom hub centric rings.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
FJC wheels won't work on the gen 3, the center bore is too large. Unless you find someone to make you custom hub centric rings.

Thank you for the misinformation, but the only way a wheel will not work is if the hub bore is larger than the wheel bore, clearly not the case here. FJC wheels are lug centric as mentioned and work perfectly well as evidenced by millions of miles without issue. And hub centric adapters are plentiful on the web even if it were an issue.

JumpJ

Adventurer
That gen3 looks familiar, must have bought it off a member here.

The seller was no Overlander. Maybe previous to this one but there was a ton wrong with it that needed straightening out. The seller was none too honest. Mainly in the wiring and a blown exhaust manifold.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Thanks Jeep N Montero. Really needed some confidence on this one.

Been doing this since 1999 and never heard of a lug centric wheel issue, including using lug centric wheels on both of my Jeeps with more trips to Moab than I can remember.

montypower

Adventure Time!
The 3rd Gen montero is a hub centric design. You should use hub rings if using larger bore wheel. Yes, it can work but not proper. Hub is designed to center wheel and take the load. What you can get away with and how it is designed are two different things.

Custom hub rings are less than $100 for a set.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
FJ wheels have been fitted to more than a few Monteros on here and will fit your gen 3 without issue, the 16x7 FJ wheel with 255/85r16 tires is a common setup. You can find relevant threads via the search function or google. Those Enkei wheels you have now are actually a pretty good wheel, in addition to aftermarket wheels they build the OEM wheels for about 30-40% of cars on the road, If you simply flipped the tires to the all black side showing it would change the overall appearance to a more plain look.
My FJC steel wheels are 17". I didn't know they made a 16".

cnutco

Adventurer
Why did you leap from the G-Wagon?

What size are the Enkei wheels and are you going to sell them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JumpJ

Adventurer
Why did you leap from the G-Wagon?

What size are the Enkei wheels and are you going to sell them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

285 65r 18 are the Enkei. Yes I am going to sell them. They are nice wheels-Look great I just want to get away from such a large tire. In all my travels I have never needed such a big tire and wheel. I loved my GWagen but the constant love airfare with the fuel fill up just got old. I see folks complain about their fuel economy with their monteros and this is easy compared with the G. Despite going anywhere we wanted I find the interior layout of the Montero much better than the GWagen. Even legroom for little explorers is better on the Montero than the G. I have done land rover for many many years but long ago had a great experience with Montero. I can't see driving south next summer to Tierra in a G!! Thanks for all the useful input.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles