Who drives their full size w/camper on sand

con kso

Adventurer
Here's my truck CON KSO we do southern Baja every winter and we drive across sand beaches all the time:
Screen Shot 2015-11-29 at 8.20.20 PM.jpg

That's our normal, day-to-day spot. The sand is pretty loose on this beach. We always air down to 20-25psi, sometimes more it all depends on the sand type. I run CON KSO in 4x4 high range most of the time. Our Callen camper isn't that heavy but we do pack a lot of stuff into it (30 gallons freshwater, 20lb propane tank, tools, boards, full size CO2 air up tank- lots of beer in an a full size ARB). I had a diesel f250 before CON KSO and that truck didn't do as well on the sand as - it was pretty heavy with the diesel engine. Airing down makes it all so much easier and saves your vehicle from rattling apart on the washboard roads.

Screen Shot 2015-11-29 at 8.17.00 PM.jpg

Of course at low tide you can drive at full tire pressure on some beaches down there- you just better be able to climb the soft sand dunes to get off the beach before the tide comes up.

Have 4x4, air down, drink beer and have fun. Bueno.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Here's my truck CON KSO we do southern Baja every winter and we drive across sand beaches all the time:
View attachment 317576

That's our normal, day-to-day spot. The sand is pretty loose on this beach. We always air down to 20-25psi, sometimes more it all depends on the sand type. I run CON KSO in 4x4 high range most of the time. Our Callen camper isn't that heavy but we do pack a lot of stuff into it (30 gallons freshwater, 20lb propane tank, tools, boards, full size CO2 air up tank- lots of beer in an a full size ARB). I had a diesel f250 before CON KSO and that truck didn't do as well on the sand as - it was pretty heavy with the diesel engine. Airing down makes it all so much easier and saves your vehicle from rattling apart on the washboard roads.

View attachment 317582

Of course at low tide you can drive at full tire pressure on some beaches down there- you just better be able to climb the soft sand dunes to get off the beach before the tide comes up.

Have 4x4, air down, drink beer and have fun. Bueno.

Nice pics. Yeah lowtide at some spots is like concrete. In 1980 well ahead of the botched harbor I surfed some real good,long waves at Pt. St. Rosaliita. An American resident from town drove his '57 Chevy Apache out and we'd take turns shuttling each other back out to the pt. Saved a 20 minute walk back. Your photo reminded of that time.
The Callen looks good on your truck. The weight can cave in the sides of the newer trucks if not beefed up depending on the usage.

con kso

Adventurer
It's a fun spot- we always spend a night out on the point on the way further south. BTW- if you haven't seen it, the harbor created a mini-Kirra, reeling right hander that's pretty unbelievable.

The Callen's been good- cost me 500 bucks! Fit's my longbed (8') tundra and it's light enough to not effect us on the sand- we do Christmas at Punta Conejo and we can drive it across the soft sand on the side of the point where the right breaks. We do bring CO2 to easily and quickly air up an down since it makes such a big difference in the sand.

The camper will eventually beat the bed up - typically breaks some of the welds on the supports underneath. When that happens, I'm going to buy one of those aluminum service bodies they make up in Oregon (or is it Washington) and mount the Callen to it. The trucks paid off with only 100k miles on it so I figure I can get another 100k out of it before I'll have to worry about it in Baja. Love the Callen- we've got it all set up how we like it.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Yeah,I've seen pics of the harbor attempt and the wave it inadvertently created. I got the outside enormous,minus low tide once. Never made it down to the rabbit pt.
Transfer Flow makes a replacement long range tank for yours. It's the tank it should have had. Not legal in California but who could tell?
https://www.transferflow.com/shop/products

dirtnadvil

Got to love Baja. How is Conejo? I haven't been out there in a long time. It rained and we were stuck out there for some extra days. 1970 vw bus. Surf was good at the right. The left was onshore.

con kso

Adventurer
Christmas morning Conejo:

Screen Shot 2015-11-30 at 11.49.31 PM.jpg

And here's the road to get in there:

Screen Shot 2015-11-30 at 11.47.58 PM.jpg

Leaving in a couple weeks for three weeks down there. Getting CON KSO prepped- new ARB awning off the back, couple more things to make life nice. Can't wait.

Checked out that Transfer Flow link- awesome 40 gallons of gas would be perfect for upper 7 sisters area but for that I just put two five gallon jerry cans on the rack- saves me about $1000 over the Transfer Flow.

BTW: I've always liked the regular cab, 8' bed, 4x4 truck configuration- always been my favorite- I think they look the best and with shorter wheel base, they're more functional offroad. The problem for me has always been the female veto- someday I'll get my regular cab!

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Christmas morning Conejo:

View attachment 317905

And here's the road to get in there:

View attachment 317906

Leaving in a couple weeks for three weeks down there. Getting CON KSO prepped- new ARB awning off the back, couple more things to make life nice. Can't wait.

Checked out that Transfer Flow link- awesome 40 gallons of gas would be perfect for upper 7 sisters area but for that I just put two five gallon jerry cans on the rack- saves me about $1000 over the Transfer Flow.

BTW: I've always liked the regular cab, 8' bed, 4x4 truck configuration- always been my favorite- I think they look the best and with shorter wheel base, they're more functional offroad. The problem for me has always been the female veto- someday I'll get my regular cab!

Yeah,no kids or pets. I'm 6'4" and the cab's so long I've got to push the seat forward to reach the wheel comfortably. I ordered adjustable pedals to to dial it in further.
I had a VW bus and used to go to Pt. Rosaliita at Christmas. It had a five gallon jerry can on the back which would easily get me back to El Rosario. On two occasions the gas truckers went on strike, conveniently stranding tourists who didn't fill up at El Rosario or San Quintin. Catavina had a small station at the time and I'd always make it a pt. to dump the can in front of them. El Rosario was out one time too so I made it a point to fill up at San Quintin and ER.
I had three Callens on various trucks. It's a shame Scott the son killed the decades old biz.

con kso

Adventurer
I was in Baja when that gas station was open at Catavina- there was always a line for gas. That's where I saw a dude traveling Baja that I never forgot: Guy was driving with his dog in a regular cab disco years Ford 4x4, mexican blanket for upholstery, camper on the back, moto on the bumper- I remember thinking, "now that is damn cool- that's a Baja rambler!" image is seared onto my brain. Probably why I like regular cabs.

This year, girls are driving down with me but flying out on Dec.31st and I'm picking up a buddy on the same day when they get on the plane. Or not- I wouldn't mind flying solo for the ride home.

Keeping the thread alive... here's CON KSO on the point La Pastora. Driving on the sand is a must, you get the best views- just heed the turtle conservationists if they tell you to get off the beach. They collect the turtle eggs and take them to the hatchery, keeping them safe. Living the dream: Breakfast on the beach.

Screen Shot 2015-12-01 at 6.45.55 AM.jpg

BajaSurfRig

This thread is getting me psyched for this winter. I have a sneaking suspicion I will be running in to a couple of you guys down there. I really want to switch over to a Callen like what you have CON KSO that thing is sick! For now I am stuck with my huge old Lance....

con kso

Adventurer
Cool BSR - if you see CON KSO down south come on over and introduce yourself- my name is John. We're heading out of here Dec. 19th early am probably going to run up the back way through San Felipe past Coco's corner. Let me know if you want to caravan. Huge old Lance is sweet when it's rainy and cold outside!

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I was at the Wall once and Ace the shaper from OB invited me into his non-cabover Alaskan for a chilly one. Hooked from that point on for a popup.
Another trip we were one pt up from Rosaliitta and a guy had a cabover version. Same deal,a couple shots and a beer later identical conclusion.
I've had the Northstar for 15 yrs and it's served us well but it would sure be nice to have a custom Alaskan made.
I just bought five quick picks for the Lotto so I guess tomorrow I'll be ordering. LOL!

con kso

Adventurer
Only a central Baja surf traveller would appreciate the wind stopping qualities of a camper on the truck- you've got to be able to hide from it when it really gets going. BTW that point you're talking about was going off the same day I took the Rosalilita photo.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
We drove in there in November 1981 before Thanksgiving and it was huge. We drove down in a 1967 F-250 with bald tires and after three flats and a used tire made it in. Water everywhere as it was a wet year.. Two kids would hike in from Sandy Pt. and surf with us and I'd give them a ride one at a time to the next mini pt to the south on a Honda 90. THAT pt was breaking it was so big. Negative tide,but no offshores that trip as it was balmy all day. That truck had a 10' dilapidated cabover that we just loved after hauling it in. I used the 90 to scout out the place. Senor A gave me an abalone another trip for hauling him out of the sand at the boat launching area.
That coastline is so pretty from the water riding a wave.
John,thanks for not calling it The Baja

Last edited:

con kso

Adventurer
"The Baja"....hahahahahaha- that is hilarious! I hate that too! Is it me or is that mostly something our Canadian brothers say? Love the surf stories- epic!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz