What do you carry in your M416/ trailers?

M35A2

Tinkerer
I've had a number of M416s and they were always haulers of whatever. I'm not going to get into specifics on how to load yours but I'll tell you this, I've yet to meet one that like a light tongue. If you haul non consumables 10% of total weight of trailer/cargo on the tongue is a good place to start. If you do haul consumables and want to burn them without having to repackage the rest of the load, ending up with a heavy tongue is way more better than ending up with a too light tongue. At least on the road at highway speed. How you get there is up to you, but that would be my general recommendation.

Agreed. They like a level tongue, too.

Sleam

Explorer
how did it get so full already?

SO this is the Little Red I bought. I've been practicing reversing at home since i have the space. I also started filling it with the camping gear that I usually carry in the 4Runner with us. Wow, I'm amazed at the space in there and at how much I take with us! Funny how that happens, right? I installed a solar powered string light to the roof with duct tape and now whenever I lift the lid at night, I'll have light. Cheap and easy and fun first project for me. Anyway, I'm learning more about the weight distribution and working with what I take. Thanks for your input and ideas. I hope and plan on Expo 2016 in Arizona, taking a week to travel 300 miles by way of dirt!

IMG_20151206_100853362.jpg

(this was taken before the string light was attached, just laying it out to get out some of the kinks.)

vegasjeepguy

Adventurer
A
SO this is the Little Red I bought. I've been practicing reversing at home since i have the space. I also started filling it with the camping gear that I usually carry in the 4Runner with us. Wow, I'm amazed at the space in there and at how much I take with us! Funny how that happens, right? I installed a solar powered string light to the roof with duct tape and now whenever I lift the lid at night, I'll have light. Cheap and easy and fun first project for me. Anyway, I'm learning more about the weight distribution and working with what I take. Thanks for your input and ideas. I hope and plan on Expo 2016 in Arizona, taking a week to travel 300 miles by way of dirt!

View attachment 318724

(this was taken before the string light was attached, just laying it out to get out some of the kinks.)

When you have a trailer it's easy to fill it up quickly because of the perception of so much additional storage space. My CDN M101 was a must with my 04 Rubicon because the Jeep has so little storage space. It's nice to load up the trailer with all the conveniences of home for a multi-day trip but I have learned to prioritize what I need and what I want. I am almost to the point of adding a cargo rack to the Jeep but am resisting that for multiple reasons.

image.jpg

Septu

Explorer
What I carry...

- Full size spare tire
- camping/cooking gear. Stove and fuel, tarps and poles,
- 11 gal water
- fire wood
- camp chairs
- zodi shower setup
- big socket set

That weighs in around 1350 lbs.

10615626_10152217492992595_2307638746892757848_n.jpg

The fridge and food stay in my jeep.

That stuff is in there all the time (water jug is usually empty or close to). But I have lots of room left over to add things if need be. When on road trips where I'll want my soft doors (if I'm going to my parents or someplace where I can store my hard doors), I'll put my 4 full size soft doors in the trailer (one 9000 km road trip with them on was more than enough!). Honestly... I have too much room due to how tall my lid is, which makes the trailer a little top heavy (changing the lid is on my to do list).

Septu

Explorer
Good to know, my instinct told me to put the water and gas above the axles, tents and clothes to the front. Thanks.

Anything you do not want wet/dirty should stay in the tow vehicle. My trailer isn't water proof, and while I've never actually had water in it (just a lot of dust) I'd never keep anything I need to be comfortable in there. This wouldn't change even if I had a really good seal that kept most/all of the dust/water out.

I get wanting to keep the tow vehicle rear empty, but surely 1 bag of clothes could easily be tossed onto the front seat or moved to one side of the bed at night.

bj70_guy

Adventurer
Mine's been a track bike hauler this year.
23493600172_0a46c14ea0_c.jpg

It's far from ideal, but it did the job. I'm buying a dedicated trailer for the bike, so I can get back to building the 101 as a camp trailer.

vegasjeepguy

Adventurer
Thanks, that looks well made and solid. Do you remember where you got it?

I've got the same ones which I picked up at Bass Pro a few years back for around $50. They are great for organizing gear and keeping it out of the dust and weather but they aren't waterproof. They will hold up to some abuse but certainly aren't in the same league as a Pelican case and the weak point appears to be the hinge. I've used mine for 4 or 5 years and they still work great. I have two but find I only use one to organize misc. gear. Three will completely fill the bed of the trailer.

SnowDozerCJ5

I am guilty of hitching up the m416 to fill a gas can. Pulled It home like this Gosh I miss that s10 2.5l with 200,000mi pulled it 1000 mi no issue camping in the truck with luggage in the trailer. I am working on a new canvas cover 24" above the rails with a tube frame. Goal is a canvas pioneer trailer

armygreen

Adventurer
load of wood before the referb!
5BCC687B-9C4A-4F42-B197-D5F114B0FE61-2490-000001A12BD0BE76_zpsb0fcfd81.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Two coolers one for food one for beverages, Couple camp chairs, small camping bbq, tarps, tent for dogs, stabilizers for trailer, water, usually at least a third full of wood! Usually dump a ton of misc stuff on top of that.
27A2B9B9-5C94-4841-A61F-A562DFF7EEDF_zpsnizffppu.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

armygreen

Adventurer
Cvt
Cascadia vehicle tents out of Bend Oregon.
Not sure if they are making them anymore.
Give Bobby a call. He might be able to help you out.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles