2006 Megacab and a truck camper ???????

cruiser812

Observer
I have a 2006 mega cab 4x4 diesel that I am wanting to put a hardsided truck camper on and was wondering what everyone thought of that idea. I just saw that dodge does not recommend truck campers for this model. I found a 1500 series bigfoot for a short bed in texas and thought this would be a good fit although it is a bit heavy. What is everyones thoughts on this? Should I look at a popup or a new truck al together? Ideally I am trying to find an older Alaskan but even those typically need a lond bed.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
An appropriately sized(and weight) camper would be just fine and there are hundreds if not thousands of trucks just like yours running around with campers on them, a bit of common sense and Google-**** will point you in the right direction.

cruiser812

Observer
I have not really found anyone hauling a truck camper with a mega cab srw 2500 series truck. Can Anyone point me in the right direction? I am actually contemplating selling my current truck over this issue.

oldnslow

Observer
It would depend on your bed length and weight ratings. If you have one of the super short beds (less than 6.5 ft.) most campers won't work.

Figure that a light hard-side camper is going to be about 2500 pounds loaded for camping, and pretty much all of that will be on your rear axle. Look at your rear axle weight rating (RAWR) and the tire ratings and then weigh your truck with you, any passengers you normally carry, and a full tank of gas. Then you will know where you stand.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Maybe compromise and get a popup. You'll be very tail heavy regardless.
I've seen setups on these forums that I'd be afraid to go up a steep hill.

cruiser812

Observer
So it looks like from the specs my payload capacity is only 1,430 lbs in the bed of my truck. looks like a popup is all mine can handle per dodge even though they do not recommend a truck camper for my model truck.

rotti

Adventurer
So it looks like from the specs my payload capacity is only 1,430 lbs in the bed of my truck. looks like a popup is all mine can handle per dodge even though they do not recommend a truck camper for my model truck.

Wow...surprising. My 3/4 crew cab has a 3,000 lb rating. I would follow the Dodge warning concerning campers.

A lot/most 1/2 ton trucks have a better payload rating than that. Coupled with COG disadvantage, personally, I would be looking for a new truck. For a hard side I would limit my search to the one ton models.

cruiser812

Observer
Their base model is 900lb alone. Havent really looked into them as I was trying to find a used camper under $7,000 with a bathroom. If my truck wasn't a diesel megacab the payload capacity would be around 2000lbs. Here in the Southeast for used truck campers you cant be too picky as your choices for a decent unit are limited.

socalctcamper

Observer
Lance just recently released a hard side truck camper that will fit in a 6.5ft bed. Weighs approx 1800+ lbs with a wet bath.
Google it and that maybe your ticket for a truck camper. What's your payload weight?

cruiser812

Observer
Lance just recently released a hard side truck camper that will fit in a 6.5ft bed. Weighs approx 1800+ lbs with a wet bath.
Google it and that maybe your ticket for a truck camper. What's your payload weight?

It 1430 according to the literature I found. The additional cab space, diesel engine and features of the Laramie really eat up a lot of the payload capacity. This is very odd I though for a 2500 pickup. Its just designed more for pulling versus carrying.

jus passin thru

Adventurer
You really don't have a truck capabil of handling a hard side camper of any sort , if you persist you will be unhappy with the result. If you read the Dodge camper guide you will see that most of the diesel trucks are barely up to the task because of low GVW the gas trucks are about 1000 lbs higher. If you want to tow heavy weight the diesel is your truck if you want to carry heavy weight go gas. I know people will post what they do with their half ton but this really isn't a good plan. The people that really recommend it are people that are trying to sell you something.

cruiser812

Observer
It looks like I either need to find a new truck or just use my camper shell. Only problem there is I am a tall guy at 6'4 and it would be a tight fit in the old ARE shell. Not to mention the fiberglass around the metal window frame keeps breaking letting the window fall out. Ive tried drilling and securing it with new pop rivets but it still keeps breaking and not sure why.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles