Buying & Building a Medium Ambulance into an RV – The FAM-BULANCE

rlrenz

Explorer
Every Hoseline product I've ever seen was built like a brick phone booth, so I'm assuming that the 120/12 volt power supply is comfortably oversized. Hoseline's poop sheet states that the refrigerator uses an average of 1.3 amps at 12 VDC, and a peak of 4 amps at 12 VDC when the compressor is running.

On the one hand, the unit is small, but an average of only 1.3 amps opens the door to solar cell powering without needing a large battery. Like everything in life, it's a tradeoff.

rlrenz

Explorer
Yes- the Sawafuji is a swing motor compressor. It's quiet - I can barely hear any noise when it's running,

If you're curious, here's a cutaway drawing:

swing motor compressor.JPG

Based on the internet data on a swing motor compressor, it looks like a an optimal compressor for mobile applications.

rlrenz

Explorer
There are those of us who are happy building an ambulance into an RV -- but then, there are some folks (maybe retired fire fighters---), who take a different approach. This thing isn't my speed, but maybe someone (like Patoz) might like one:

Retd FF camper.JPG

Attachments

• retired F-FIghters camper.JPG
    retired F-FIghters camper.JPG
    112 KB · Views: 32

patoz

Expedition Leader
Actually, I think this one has more of that 'Cabin in the Woods' look! :REOutCampFire03:

Firetruck RV.jpg

rlrenz

Explorer
Does the outhouse that goes with that thing have its own trailer?

As interesting as it looks at first glance, I don't imaging that the cruising speed of a converted fire engine/camper would be much over 50 or so, would it? And the mileage might also be something to cry about as well.

patoz

Expedition Leader
You mean a setup like this...

Port-a-Potti on Trailer.jpg

Yeah, the mileage would not be very good, and the ride would probably be pretty rough since fire trucks are built for functionality and not comfort, especially the older ones.

Last edited:

patoz

Expedition Leader
And, just when you think you've seen it all...I just came across this...

6591_10153181826267554_302797173370843964_n.jpg

Can you imagine wheeling into a big fancy RV park in this thing?

rlrenz

Explorer
That creature looks like something you'd find a homesteader using in Alaska. Based on what we used when I worked with 3M's mining division, it looks like about a 25 ton (capacity) quarry truck. Slow speed - about 25 MPH on a haul road - but the limiting factor to a road trip is overheating the tires. There's lottsa rubber to handle quarry life, and that much rubber doesn't transfer heat quickly, and at about $5000 per tire, it could get expensive.

The beast looks more like a Euclid / Terex than a Caterpillar.

And it looks even more like Photoshop special. A quarry truck runs at least 12 ft wide, which would made the camper about 14 ft wide, and this is not normal for campers...

Still, it's an interesting idea-

rlrenz

Explorer
OK - back to my buggy.

I've been tossing ideas for a new countertop around - Corian, granite, Formica, butcher block, stainless steel. They all would work, but which would do the best job for me?

Granite is out - pricey, plus I don't know how well it would hold up. Formica works, but I just don't care for it. Butcher block is still a thought, plus it's easy for me to work with. The only GOTTCHA with butcher blockis that I have to mount a sink in the countertop, so I have to really seal the wood to prevent water problems, plus use a top-mount sink so the countertop edges are as protected as possible. Even so, I just don't really like butcher block (personal preference, though).

Which leaves me with stainless steel. I thought about a new custom-bent top, but these really get expensive. I was prowling through ebay looking for ideas, and I saw an ambulance with a stainless countertop that looks like it would be a lot more affordable. The top is simple - just one bend to form a backsplash, and I can reuse the raised drip edge and even shorten the height of the drip edge from the present 1" down to maybe 3/8" or so.

Right now, it looks a lot like stainless will win out (with butcher block as PLAN-B)

Here's what the Medic Master on ebay countertop looked like - note that the only bend is in the back to form a backsplash. The metal is reasonable - even including a $10 shearing charge, a 48x28" piece of 18 gauge brush finished stainless will only run about $55, plus I have a friend with access to a press brake (probably 1 case of beer bending fee).
Medic Master-12.jpg

Last edited:

patoz

Expedition Leader
I like it, it's very 'clean' looking!

Would it be possible to use an under counter mounted sink, and still get the recessed lip somehow? I know you could mount it to a 3/4" plywood top and then line the opening with some trim, similar to the way you did the electrical panel, but making it water tight might be a trick.

I want to use a recessed sink so I can drop a cover panel in it and retain more counter space when the sink is not in use.

bobrenz

Observer
Medic Master liked to use a "U" shaped cap on the edge of the action area. They ran the vertical front of the action area cabinet 1" higher than the counter top, then used the cap on the edge. I'm planning on shaving that 1" down to about 1/4" -- high enough so things don't roll off, and low enough to not be a PITA.

rlrenz

Explorer
Sometimes things show up where you wouldn't expect to find them -

The Grainger Company (www.grainger.com) has some Whelen lights and parts in their clearance section. About the only thing I saw that would possibly be of use to one of us is the Whelen OACOEDCR work light. The one they have is steady illumination (no flashing), but it is a LED light. Based on it's low power draw, it doesn't look like it puts out a lot of light.

whelen led.JPG

rlrenz

Explorer
I just ran into a tow vehicle that would definitely be noticed at a Yogi Bear campground - it started as a fire engine (FYI: a fire engine is a pumper, a fire truck is a ladder truck). The only GOTTCHA is that the cab was set up for the rear seats faced backwards for safety.

He removed the water tank, the hose storage, and the pump, then re-geared it for a better highway speed. Towing the trailer, he gets about 7 MPG.

Regardless, you gotta admit that it would make one really interesting RV package.

5527_800677533410189_8441693041040854046_n.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior