Japanese SUV goodness: 2001 Isuzu Trooper

Clutch

<---Pass
I'm thinking about leaning towards a 255-85R16.

Was just reading about the size. Very narrow tread width, and about 33" tall. Exactly what I was looking for, AND it fits on 7" rims.

My plan involves grabbing 4 steel spares and putting the new tires on them. Trooper stock rims and spares are 7" as far as I know. Yay!

I'll have to check out that link.

That sounds good! I am really undecided on tires for the Tacoma, limited on choices since I run 32X11.5X15. Since I live in snow country now, plus now have a 52 mile round trip to work which is 98% hwy.

Do I get a snow rated AT? The new BFG AT's are getting rave reviews, especially in the snow....or do I get a more pavement friendly tread for the warm months, and full snow tires for the cold months?

All a-rounders it is the BFG AT, or the Kumho AT51.

For something slightly less aggressive. I am looking at Cooper AT3, Kumho KL78, or Yokohama Geolanders....then whatever snow tires.

For my Trooper...it is only RWD, debating on buying a 4WD on the cheap..I have seen them for $900 with a blown engine...and swapping all the 4WD components over, since my Trooper is pristine...not sure if it is worth it though.

Clutch

<---Pass
I just ordered a set of these for my FJC: Nokian Rotiiva AT ATV Radial Tire - 265/75R16 116S http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007W1K1SQ?ref_=pd_ys_iyr1
Nokian is a Finnish company, excellent tires (especially snow tires, go figure). Amazing price with free shipping, everything else I was looking at was close to $200. Probably don't have that size though.

Those look good...easy fix on size, I can just buy some 16" rims. Have been reading up on their snow tires, rated the best in the business apparently.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Ok, so I'm noticing a trend, when I look at online stores like discount tire, America's tire store, etc. - I'm seeing a serious lack of 255/85R16 options. On the contrary, I see a metric butt-load of 265/75R16 options that run the gamut as far as style, ply, load range, etc.

Is this the reality of that tire size?

I note that in a few threads the 265-75 size is held up to be a good "compromise size" for the trooper meaning it's big enough to take on rocky trails, for clearance reasons, but not so big that there's a huge power loss.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
265/75r16 is about 7% bigger than the stock 245/70r16, 255/85r16 would be around 11-12% bigger. I had 265/75s on my old 99 and didn't find the power loss to be a problem, no experience with 285/75 or 255/85 and stock gears.

I have been looking around at 255/85r16s (there is a thread about that tire size here http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...255-85R16-Tire-Official-List?highlight=255/85). There are only a handful of tires out there, mostly mud terrains, the least aggressive option seems to be the Cooper Discoverer S/T Maxx.

Grinder313

Observer
I just put 265/75/16 on my wife Xterra and they look big next to my 245/75/16 on the trooper. I want an aggressive a/t and will probably get the 235/85 in a couple years. Since I have the auto trans, I don't want too much tire without a regear.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

p nut

butter
Ok, so I'm noticing a trend, when I look at online stores like discount tire, America's tire store, etc. - I'm seeing a serious lack of 255/85R16 options. On the contrary, I see a metric butt-load of 265/75R16 options that run the gamut as far as style, ply, load range, etc.

Is this the reality of that tire size?

I note that in a few threads the 265-75 size is held up to be a good "compromise size" for the trooper meaning it's big enough to take on rocky trails, for clearance reasons, but not so big that there's a huge power loss.

Yeah, I would stick with 32's (aka 265/75/16) for cost, power, MPG/efficiency. I recently purchased 275/70/18's (33") for my truck, and maybe it's buyer's remorse, but I wish I would have stuck with 32's. The truck can handle the bigger tires with no issues, but I did lose some power and MPG. Really, for where I take the truck, 32's are good enough.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Yeah, I would stick with 32's (aka 265/75/16) for cost, power, MPG/efficiency. I recently purchased 275/70/18's (33") for my truck, and maybe it's buyer's remorse, but I wish I would have stuck with 32's. The truck can handle the bigger tires with no issues, but I did lose some power and MPG. Really, for where I take the truck, 32's are good enough.

OK, thanks for the vote, dude. I think that's the way I'm going to go. Having been out all over Anza-Borrego two weekends ago, with good results, I really think my OME lift and an inch or two of tire are all I'll need, too. I DO want to maximize/focus on upping my ply rating for durability, as there were quite a few sharp rock areas that had me wincing through a few spots. I'm still a huge fan of General grabber's AT2, after years of use, so I might see about there offerings in that size.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Cool build! I've always liked Troopers... especially the old boxy ones.

Thanks! Yeah, I had a 2door 1988 trooper in high school that I beat the living crap out of and probably should have kept. It was slower than molasses, but MAN, it was tough as nails.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Ok, here's some pics from my adventures in Anza-Borrego - Ocotillo wells, specifically.
So my dad an I had been planning on this weekend for a while. We were joining a big group of other dudes out in the desert for an event called D.I.R.T put on by Hume Ministries. Basically a weekend of wheeling, campfires, fireworks, riding, good food, Ken Block gymkhana's and motocross on a big screen, good food, God's word, and more good food...lol. No chicks allowed, just dad's, brothers, sons and friends.

Friday - Day 1

This day started around 10am for me as I stopped in san diego to have a new stereo installed in my rig. Just a normal Pioneer head unit, but my old stock unit had long since given up the ghost, so like Ariel it was a "whole new world" for me...haha.
My dad and I then met up in East county to gas up, load up his Alaskan's fridge, and hit the road for the short 2hr drive out to ocotillo wells SRVA. Gettin' on the road.
20160129_162249_resized.jpg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

People sometimes ask why I have a bull bar. San Diego's version of a 'roo. :):
20160129_165549_resized.jpg
My dad didn't know why I was stopping at first...haha..had to point them out (I'm a smart-***, I know) They did have pretty good camo, though.
20160129_165439_resized.jpg
After a few misses that had us going back and forth to find the camp, we finally made it in, set up our camp next to a group of buddies, had some much needed chow, settled in and called it a night after "big meeting".

Last edited:

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
The next had us out adventuring for most of the day...This was one of the high-lights for me, as I creeped around Shell reef.
20160130_111743_resized.jpg

justbecause

perpetually lost
I cant believe I havnt been following this thread.

I love that water tank, I have been thinking about how to carry water on my next trip. I had a 5L nato look a like, and while the quality was decent, in short order I lost the lid/cap. I got one of the 5 gallon box style with handy valve, but it broke on the very first trip.

I would love to hear what you, hatfilend, and sweed have to say about a troopers GVWR. I expect to be considerably north of that number with just passengers, bumper/winch water and fuel. before we even start adding up camping gear weight, the fridge, recovery equipment.... 900lbs is just a joke for a vehicle with a 3/4 ton rear axle.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
I never worried about it too much. The factory springs are pretty soft, the OME 929s are rated for +440 lbs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz