New older vehicle for the lady. Suv hunt

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Dont even get me started on our damn calendar of who goes where, when and by who. It looks like were planning a damn Mars Lunar launch.

Dake21

Adventurer
Ask your wife what she likes/is looking for in a vehicle. Make sure the car seat fit properly both ways (front and back) make sure the rear cargo take the gigantic stroller without too much of a hassle. Also ask your wife what she wants. How long do you see yourself keeping the vehicle, do you plan to have more kids within the next few years, ask what your wife wants and the rest is pretty much not very important. Ask your wife what she wants and, most important of all, ask her what she would like to have.

dhally

Hammerhead
Just wait until you see how much space all the baby iron takes up, not to mention a future baby. Bottom line, she needs a minivan. Whether you or she want to be seen in a minivan, that is the question. But truly they are the king of space utilization.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
We've done pretty well with two kids vs 2010 OB. I will say the OB rear seat space is huge compared to the GC. We did lots of big road trips with our kids and infant to potty trained in big kid bed was the worst regarding added stuff!!# Once our kids hit zero diapers and sleeping in an adult bed the junk you pack drops by 2/3rds. Today we can do the same 1000 mile trip to visit family with everything easily fit the back of the Subaru. Infant days the roof box was stuffed along with the trunk.

Camping we tow the 4x6 Lifetime 18-22mpg car hardly notices it. For a daily kid transporter it works great space wise. Both my kids get in from the drivers side, the youngest is drivers side I need to strap him in still. But my yr old has been belting her self in for a few yrs now. The 70lb Red Dobie often sits between them during the morning shuttle. His choice. He rides in the back willingly most of the time.

Mini van is out. Her call. Not mine. I'm not too worried 4x4 for camping. I can't imagine leaving my jeep trailer combo at home. We are in ga now but utah is in the future. So snow and junk and a 2wd suv is.......

So far she likes the GC and the touareg. The xc90 looks too much like a wagon for her.

I'd like a Tahoe and could give her my benz but that's not much of a space upgrade

Dake21

Adventurer
Just wait until you see how much space all the baby iron takes up, not to mention a future baby. Bottom line, she needs a minivan. Whether you or she want to be seen in a minivan, that is the question. But truly they are the king of space utilization.

I have three kids under 5 and we all fit inside the grand vitara. My wife and I always giggles when we see couple getting the minivan for ONE kid when in reality you spend most of the time driving it alone. Bottom line do buy whatever you want but you do not NEED a minivan.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I have three kids under 5 and we all fit inside the grand vitara. My wife and I always giggles when we see couple getting the minivan for ONE kid when in reality you spend most of the time driving it alone. Bottom line do buy whatever you want but you do not NEED a minivan.

I didnt see see anyone say they needed one. The #1 reason all the former SUV driving parents around me got one. Was ease of loading and unloading kids or kid. The #1 reason we like our Sequoia is the huge 2nd row doors, makes loading kids easy, even to the rarely used 3rd row.
Having said that my wife didnt use the Sequoia, too high and difficult to lift a kid into a seat. She used the Subaru. 《 not a mini van or a suv.

The challenges with the GC sized rigs are narrow 2nd row doors, fairly limited rear to front seat spacing which new parent soon find out is a big issue with kids car seats, especially if parents are tall people.

Just because a family can pack into a small vehicle doesnt mean its ideal or safe. A family member of mine hauled his family of 5 in a 4dr small car for years. He and his wife alone nearly exceeded the cars load capacity. They are very vertically challenged vs their ahem weight. It worked but wasnt safe nor did it work for anything but a short in town trip.

If his wife is set on those types of vehicles then his 4k budget is good, they wont loose much in a yr when they decide its not a great vehicle option. But hey its a very typical first kid mistake. I watched 5-6 neighbors do the same thing. They all laugh about it now and agree it was a bad call. But some folks need to figure it out them selves.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
Found out I'm gonna be a father come december. Want to start looking for the girl a cheaper suv but still something I can drive. Ive seen several 04 ish volvo xc90s and volkswagen toureg s in my price range. Im a fairly good mechanic and i prefer not having a large car payment so im sure i can maintain them well past what they have on them already. Question is what to get and why. Any thoughts. Needs to be 4x4 or AWD at minimum. Am I missing any 5 grand ish Suvs that are good soft roaders that she would like.

Montero Sport, really nothing even comes close for the price. You should be able to easily find a low mileage limited or 3.5XS (maybe even mine...) for that price.

justcuz

Explorer
Honda Pilot 4WD?
I find Troopers and Monteros all the time out here that need work for around a grand.
Tahoes, Expeditions and Explorers?
If your real handy and know some tricks Range Rovers can be had cheap too.

Last edited:
im not opposed to the montero. I really dont know anything about them tho. is there a guide or what to look for somewhere

@pirate mcgee is yours listed somewhere?

justcuz

Explorer
PM a couple of the regulars in the Mitsubishi forum and ask them what to look for.
I expect in your price range your looking at Gen 2.5 or Gen 3 Monteros.
Gen 3 has a unit body construction with subframes, is said to be very solid, but more difficult to modify the suspension from what I have read.
If it is more of a Mom mobile, then suspension mods may not be a consideration anyway.
Are you leaning more toward a Japanese SUV, midsize or fullsize?
You probably need to get her out and drive some.
My wife is absolutely a Tahoe, Suburban gal.
I couldn't get her into a car or smaller SUV if I wanted to.

She's a small suv girl. She loved my WJ when I had it. There will be zero Suspension mods. My budget is low cause I'm expecting I'll replace all the springs and all the steering. Even the most immaculate vehicle still has worn old parts.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
im not opposed to the montero. I really dont know anything about them tho. is there a guide or what to look for somewhere

@pirate mcgee is yours listed somewhere?

Tons of info in the Mitsubishi section, just as solid as the 100 series LC but 1/3 the price, and hands down a superior ride to the WJ. But the Sport version is not very roomy or able as the full size version.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles