How is everyone powering their portable fridges?

vision-quest

Observer
I have an ARB 50qt fridge with a 2008 Toyota 4Runner and I would like to be able to keep this fridge running for about 5 days without having to stop somewhere to charge.

What is going to be my best cost/function option of achieving this? I'm a little confused by the pricing and performance of a dual battery setup as prices I have heard are wildly different. Maybe a Goal Zero type setup?

Would love to hear your thoughts.

Chris Boyd

Explorer
You can generally implement dual batteries cheaper than a goal zero plus panels. Maybe also look at the ArkPak if you don't want to mod the Vehicle.

5 days without running the vehicle is a big ask without solar, so pick a battery strategy first, then work to find a panel that can integrate to your style of travel.

I have dual battery, plus an overland solar 60-watt to fill in when stopped for a day or two, then 2 foldable 120w panels that I deploy if we're are camping for an extended period (beyond 2 days or so) since by then we're using lighting, showers, charging camera batteries, etc.

vision-quest

Observer
You can generally implement dual batteries cheaper than a goal zero plus panels. Maybe also look at the ArkPak if you don't want to mod the Vehicle.

5 days without running the vehicle is a big ask without solar, so pick a battery strategy first, then work to find a panel that can integrate to your style of travel.

I have dual battery, plus an overland solar 60-watt to fill in when stopped for a day or two, then 2 foldable 120w panels that I deploy if we're are camping for an extended period (beyond 2 days or so) since by then we're using lighting, showers, charging camera batteries, etc.

So even with a dual battery you are only getting a few days of juice from the fridge when stopped? Wow, I didn't realize it would be that tough to power this.

1Louder

Explorer
So even with a dual battery you are only getting a few days of juice from the fridge when stopped? Wow, I didn't realize it would be that tough to power this.

Both batteries are not powering the fridge in the vast majority of setups. You have a starting battery and a battery for your accessories (fridge whatever) so depending on the size of the battery you will be limited to the amp hours it provided. It's why I don't think dual battery setups are a good idea for powering a fridge.

vision-quest

Observer
Both batteries are not powering the fridge in the vast majority of setups. You have a starting battery and a battery for your accessories (fridge whatever) so depending on the size of the battery you will be limited to the amp hours it provided. It's why I don't think dual battery setups are a good idea for powering a fridge.

Great thanks for that. I'm liking the idea of a Arkpak or Goal Zero device with a solar panel. Maybe if I go the Yeti 1250 Route + plus a 90W solar panel (with my 40% off coupon from Goal Zero) I would be able to keep the fridge going as well as charge my camera batteries, laptop etc while on the road without running out of juice for 5 days or so? I'm not sure on the exact power but I'm guessing that might be enough. I could always chain a second 100a/h battery to double life?

1Louder

Explorer
Creating two threads on the same topic in two sub-forums is confusing. I would suggest you kill this one and/or ask the mods to move your other one since it has more responses.

I see no reason why you would need to add another battery to the proposed configuration you list above. I will also mention the higher end 730 model from ArkPak can handle Lithium Ion batteries. They will be the way to go when prices come down. Lighter and can be run down to zero where traditional AGM batteries cannot.

vision-quest

Observer
Creating two threads on the same topic in two sub-forums is confusing. I would suggest you kill this one and/or ask the mods to move your other one since it has more responses.

I see no reason why you would need to add another battery to the proposed configuration you list above. I will also mention the higher end 730 model from ArkPak can handle Lithium Ion batteries. They will be the way to go when prices come down. Lighter and can be run down to zero where traditional AGM batteries cannot.

You're right, I was a little confused where this should go. I'll ask the mods to move the info over. Again, really appreciate your help.

4x4junkie

Explorer
I have dual batteries in my vehicle simply wired hard-parallel (180Ah), no fancy isolator stuff. My fridge has a low-voltage cutoff that will shut the fridge off before the battery gets too low to start the engine (yours should too). I think only twice I've ever had the LVC on it kick in. With average day & night temps (~80°F by day, 55°F night) and the fridge out in the open (but shaded from the sun) I've gotten about 5 days out of this setup w/o any solar assistance. Usually I bring my portable 170W bi-fold solar panel though, which will power the fridge (and some LED lights and the stereo) indefinitely.

Solar is definitely the way to keep a fridge going, especially since it's so cheap now compared to 10 years ago.

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
Do you need a transformer or anything like that between the panel and fridge? Or are the panels usually plug and play?

vision-quest

Observer
I have dual batteries in my vehicle simply wired hard-parallel (180Ah), no fancy isolator stuff. My fridge has a low-voltage cutoff that will shut the fridge off before the battery gets too low to start the engine (yours should too). I think only twice I've ever had the LVC on it kick in. With average day & night temps (~80°F by day, 55°F night) and the fridge out in the open (but shaded from the sun) I've gotten about 5 days out of this setup w/o any solar assistance. Usually I bring my portable 170W bi-fold solar panel though, which will power the fridge (and some LED lights and the stereo) indefinitely.

Solar is definitely the way to keep a fridge going, especially since it's so cheap now compared to 10 years ago.

Sounds like something like the Arkpak + solar or Yeti 1250 + solar is going to be the way to go...

franklantern

Craig Lathem
I use an ArkPak to power my ARB ref. If you are sleeping nearby I wouldn't recommend it. There are 2 fans and you can only shut one off. Its quite loud and I sleep in the truck. Perhaps the newer model has addressed this. I am using an AGM battery and can usually get 2 solid days without any charging. That includes charging other small items such as phones.

Bigunit

Adventurer
I run dual batteries in my rig with a "fancy" isolator and a 12v plug-in in the bed from the 2nd battery (100 ah AGM) plus an Arkpak with 125 ah AGM topped off by a 100 watt Renogy folding solar panel. I can run a lot of things for days with this system. I also believe in system redundancy.

vision-quest

Observer
I run dual batteries in my rig with a "fancy" isolator and a 12v plug-in in the bed from the 2nd battery (100 ah AGM) plus an Arkpak with 125 ah AGM topped off by a 100 watt Renogy folding solar panel. I can run a lot of things for days with this system. I also believe in system redundancy.

Yeah I need to be keeping quite a lot charged. Smartphone, laptop, fridge, DSLR batteries. I'm a photographer and often have a base which I don't leave for a few days.

jonyjoe101

Adventurer
12 volt fridges use about 25 amps in a 24 hour period when set to 40 degrees. I measured this on my edgestar fp430 with a dc wattmeter, most 12 volt fridges use the danfoss compressor so they will have similar power use.

A 100 ah battery will only last you 2 days before you have to charge it, the reason is because you dont want to drain below 50 percent which will decrease the life of the battery.

From my own experience using a 75 ah agm battery, it wouldnt run the fridge more than a day without it being charged. Connected to my 120 watt panel and good weather, I could run the fridge 24/7 for months at a time.

Mack4

Adventurer
Sherpa 100 with a cigarette lighter charger! Works great, the fridge never depletes the battery, faster than the truck can charge it. Usually, get a couple hours of run time, once the fridge is at temperature. Sherpa can hook up to solar panels pretty easily as well and when the truck is parked for a while, I hook it up to shore power.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier