Overland Journal: G-Wagen

mattv94

Few questions....

What combination of Front Runner drawers are you using?

What sort of MPG are you getting loaded up?

Have you noticed any deficiencies with parts availability? I remember reading about one thing being a PITA, oil pan I recall?

TiFJ

Observer
Have you had any experience with the self healing clear wraps like Xpel or 3Ms clear bra? I wonder if they have the same issues. I've been considering it for the doors on my dark grey rubicon or when looking at black G500s for my wife.

I have had my Raptor fully 3M'd (everything except the roof) for almost 4 years now. There are a couple of very small bubbles in hard to see areas, but otherwise, it looks brand new still - I havent had to remove any portions of it yet. The results of wrapping and clear bra have a lot to do with the experience of the installer and the prep work though, YMMV.

Last edited:

Scott Brady

Founder
The full repaint is in process at Mastodon in Colorado. They are going the extra mile and have been sending me regular updates on the progress. Pretty exciting.

14115613_10155189777773275_1141773876851331533_o.jpg

greynolds

Observer
^ Scott, looks like you forgot to attach the photo in your last post. Which blue is that? It looks similar to the Midnight Blue that I have, but Midnight Blue changes radically in different light, sometimes looking like a deep black (in the dark).

I never get it why anybody leaves the top trim on when painting a G. Usually there is some kind of rust developing where the clips has scraped thru, at the lip where the windowframe and roof is assembled.

It takes 3 minutes to remove. 5 minutes and 15$ to replace the clips when reassembling.

burquedoka

Adventurer
I never get it why anybody leaves the top trim on when painting a G. Usually there is some kind of rust developing where the clips has scraped thru, at the lip where the windowframe and roof is assembled.

It takes 3 minutes to remove. 5 minutes and 15$ to replace the clips when reassembling.
I was thinking the same thing! And the glass and the gull wing doors. An extra 30 mins tops.
Don't mean to piss in your cornflakes Scott, I'm sure it'll look great. I need to do the same with mine one of these days, the clear coat has gone to crap in the SW sun.

Last edited:

Scott Brady

Founder
I was thinking the same thing! And the glass and the gull wing doors. An extra 30 mins tops.
Don't mean to piss in your cornflakes Scott, I'm sure it'll look great. I need to do the same with mine one of these days, the clear coat has gone to crap in the SW sun.

I am sure they had a reason for it. I am just the customer and the paint jobs that I inspected before contracting the job looked pretty amazing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke