SHOW YOUR FAVORITE CATCH ON THE FLY

OldCrow

They are all memorable...

They are all memorable but here are a few of my memories I'll share:

Monster Sea-run Coastal Cutthroat trout caught in Puget Sound. Fish of a lifetime, I'll never forget this golden buck.

uncle_cutt.03-1024x768.jpg

Big buck Steelhead from a favorite river. My leader snapped as I was lifting the fish to the net. A deft hand with the net by my partner saved the day.

stlhd2-1024x809.jpg

Nice Brookie from a 'secret spot' with my daughter after she graduated HS and before she left for college.

12.08.23.05-1024x670.jpg

My first Chinook on a swung fly way up in BC.

bc_king-1024x662.jpg

Colorful Westslope Cutthroat trout in the back country caught on my first fishing trip after I split with my ex-wife while I gathered my thoughts for my new phase in life.

13.08.03.01-1024x654.jpg

A battle-scarred buck that I hooked in a dangerous spot and made me pay the price in bruised body and gear.

op_buck-1024x598.jpg

The latest, a beautiful native hen from a stormy day earlier this fall.

16.10.13.01-1024x853.jpg

Looking forward to making some new memories this winter...

01tundra

Explorer
Hit a grand slam (Brown, Brook & Rainbow in one trip) about six times over on a recent vacation in Western NC.

First time fishing really small pocket water, best fishing trip of my life.......made the little Orvis Superfine 4WT glass rod earn it's keep :sombrero:

mf5_zpsyipshczp.jpg

mf4_zps5kb8iwf8.jpg

mf3_zpsjsw9yvkl.jpg

t11_zpsxvmggagw.jpg

t18_zpsb5eteotx.jpg

t16_zpsb9ivqggv.jpg

t15_zpsjmr86slr.jpg

t17_zpszehw1u8w.jpg

t19_zpso28voen1.jpg

t14_zpsv15p84ci.jpg

01tundra

Explorer
They are all memorable but here are a few of my memories I'll share:

Monster Sea-run Coastal Cutthroat trout caught in Puget Sound. Fish of a lifetime, I'll never forget this golden buck.

Oh man, such beautiful fish....those things are beasts too :Wow1:

We don't see fish of that size often in the Smoky's......perspective :) -

t8_zpsonod26mg.jpg

t6_zpsggz1ol68.jpg

t10_zpsvd609c0j.jpg

Last edited:

seanpistol

Explorer
I'd get a 1 or 2wt for pocket water. I use a 6'2" glass 2wt and still catch trout up to about 14" on it. Out of all my rods, it's arguably my favorite. Makes the smaller trout feel like sharks and lets me get a cast into the tightest most overgrown places where they always seem to be hiding.

01tundra

Explorer
I'd get a 1 or 2wt for pocket water. I use a 6'2" glass 2wt and still catch trout up to about 14" on it. Out of all my rods, it's arguably my favorite. Makes the smaller trout feel like sharks and lets me get a cast into the tightest most overgrown places where they always seem to be hiding.

I've got 3, 4 & 4/5wt Cabelas CGR glass rods, the 4wt Superfine and a 5wt Sage Approach carbon rod.

I think my next will likely be a 2 or 3wt carbon.

Yoternation87

Speck1.jpg This is a nice speck from Pisgah national forest
Montana2.jpgThis was a rainbow out of the Bighorn in Montana. First 3 miles
Mills River fish1 (2).jpg This was a rainbow from upper portion of the north mills

ZG

Busy Fly Fishing
Beautiful brookie, those are some amazing fish. I'm currently having a custom 0wt rod being built specifically for mountain brookies

flyfishxj

my favorite is a r.l. winston bllt 7'6" 3 wt. with an original orvis cfo 1 reel. pretty hard to beat that combo.

flyfishxj

fullsizeoutput_34d.jpg
not the biggest smallies but catching them with my son who I don't see often, it's something I dream of often.
Today is his 18th birthday! The United States Coast Guard is going to have a fine young man. So proud of you Happy Birthday Dylan. Love Dad

stevec

Adventurer
Finally fished the Yakima last week. My mom had given me a gift cert. for a guided float a couple of years ago, and this year she was up for Mother's Day so I gave her the same thing. The water was a bit murky, but much lower than it had been over the weekend, so we had hope. We ended up catching nine fish with a streamer set up. I caught six, mom caught three, but she got the two biggest (16" and 18"). Two of mine were squawfish so I guess they don't really count.

Near the take-out point a few fish were finally starting to rise so we tried a bit of dry fly fishing. Our guide really wanted one that kept teasing us by taking surface bugs, but wouldn't take our offering. We tried about 25 casts between us but never got more than a sniff. It was downstream from us and in a swirling current, so a bit hard for me to get a good drift. When our guide said it was time to head in, another jumped behind (i.e. upstream) from me. Our guide saw that look in my eyes and handed me a rod. "I'll just try one cast" I said, that was all it took. My fly hit the water and BAM!
yakima rainbow trout.jpg
The perfect way to end the day!

stevec

Adventurer
yakima rainbow mom.jpg
Mom's last fish, and the biggest fish of the day. Not the greatest Iphone pic, but we want to get him back in the water quickly.

Not bad for a 73 year old!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles