Red Wing Heritage Boots

WillBeck

Adventurer
Sorry to dig up this thread, but I'm on the hunt for a pair of boots, and am planning to visit the local RedWing this week.

On a personal note, I was issued Corcoran jump boots in a very shiny black leather... Always paid to have them polished, I never was able to get that glass like coat on them. They are impossible to break in, and have absolutely no feel through the sole. Don't bother trying to drive a manual transmission in them haha. But they look ridiculously ************ when bloused in dress uniform, matched with a maroon beret...

For some reason I never saw a reply notification for this. Sorry the RW try did not work out. It would have been interesting to see what the Brannock showed for your arch vs. toe length measurements. From the sounds of it you have the old "long arch short toes" foot shape. If you ever get a chance to, try on a pair of Corcoran jump boots. They use the "Munson" last, which has very firm heel fit but has good room in the toe box. It looks like RW is building a Heritage boot using that last now from what I just saw doing a quick google. The rep for that stuff is going to visit me Weds this week, and I'll ask him if they are available. I have a pair of Corcorans I had built for me in an A width many years ago in the old WW2 brown, and other than the soles being dead flat and hard as a rock I love the damn things.
Looking at the links you posted, I see the boots that work for you are very soft and relatively formless. That kind of shoe is very easy on the feet and forgiving of odd foot shapes. It'll be tough to get that sort of feel out of a more structured and harder boot. But keep trying, you'll stumble across something someday.

4runnerteq

Explorer
Good luck. Loving mine. Do take a little time to break in. Be patient. They have a 30 day comfort guarantee. My first pair i got based on the sizing device. One foot half size smaller than the other. The recommended size was way to big i felt on the small foot and just a little big on the big foot. Called RW store and they ordered a half size smaller. Its just a tick small on the big foot but perfect on the other. rW store stretches them for me. Didn't help much. I just kept oiling and wearing. Better each time. I plan to wear them most every day thru fall and winter. I wear a medium weight Smart Wool sock with them. For sure couldn't wear any thicker, but I prefer a tighter fit. Very narrow foot. B width in these.

WESBC

Observer
A couple of boots that have been refreshed

Redwing Beckman in Cigar:
scaled.1.jpg
scaled.2.jpg

Redwing 9106 in Copper:
scaled.IMG_3340.jpg

scaled.IMG_3655.jpg

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Since this thread is still alive, I will point out that RW Heritage has started offering a brown Iron Ranger and Black and Brown Blacksmith boots with a Vibram mini-lug sole.

I would have bought the Vibram IR instead of my Beckmans if they'd been available at the time.

Still waiting on a Black Iron Ranger with a Vibram sole, though. Ahem, you hear me Red Wing?

4runnerteq

Explorer
Loving my Beckmans. Wish I had kept the 12 in the 10875s. Now that they are broken in, the "big" foot is just to cramped in there. Its tolerable for a few hours with a really thin sock, but after a full day Im ready to get them off. Not the boots fault. Gonna save for the Heritage one. They call it a D width but the fit is great on my narrow feet. I take an 11 in the Heritage. Wearing the Beckmans almost daily now.

I've had my Beckmans for about 2.5 years and they are easily the best shoes I've ever owned. My only complaint is the toe box being a tad too bulbous for my taste, but that's simply an aesthetic. They're due to be resoled soon and Red Wing will put the Vibram 430 mini lug sole on for about $100. Goodyear welted boots are well worth the money, in my opinion. Don't overlook other purveyors of this style of bootmaking. Wolverine's "1000 Mile" collection is decent at about the same price point, and they use Horween Chromexcel leather, but they quality assurance department can be a bit dodgy. Look into White's Boots or Nick's Boots for some seriously tough, ************, and handsome custom-made for your foot quality, but expect to pay $450-$600 per pair.

The_Dude

Adventurer
Picked up some Red Wing 2947 Roughneck boots. Still breaking them in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
16abfc9ea9fe390aba4c55bca20685c1.jpg

921445bcf64d235244f6f5e3f357d1f3.jpg

a745f01d1918d933a5a747d4a48b0d87.jpg

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
Considering a pair of the 8880s or 8138s. Love the look of these shoes and it seems like they last forever

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles