Switching my life to "not Jeans". Can I get some recomendations for good NON JEANS

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Beg to differ DZLTOY....Every piece of Columbia, sorel, prana gear I have purchased in the past year or two has exceeded my expectations. JUST because its made there does not make it ****. Sorry!

frans

Adventurer
I recommend Vertex Phantom pants from L.A. GEAR dot com. Nice pants and the price has come down. Gusset crotch, very nice material in the pockets, articulated knees, etc. without those huge floppy pockets on the legs that scream out DORK! The material does well when soaked, ie doesnt hold water and sag miserably. Only complaint is the durability, but then again a heavy fabric has drawbacks also.
Just a little warning about LA Gear tho, the YouTube product descriptions are a stellar example of idiocracy. For example the guy demonstrates the water resistant coating by placing a few tiny droplets of water on the pant leg. I dont know about you all but i would personally test that with a firehose. Just me.
Also the customer service is the same. I asked what pant they carry is the most durable and got back "our products are most popular with law enforcement". Hummm.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
I wear a 34" waist and 36" length, so most pants I see that just come in med,large, or x-large or waist sizes are waaay too short for me. Who makes some pants in lengths also? I don't want to look like the swat team either.

Triplesnake

Adventurer
I picked up a pair of Wrangler rip-stop cargo pants from Wal-mart a couple of weeks ago. These come in waist x length size not just S, M, L. These are the most comfortable non-jean pans I've tried on in a long time. They are fairly light weight, which should suit me fine down here in TX. The waist seems to run slightly large, which is great for CHL. The length is just right. I'm pretty happy for $20. I tried twice to find a size from LAPG that fit me well, but I guess I'm just between their sizes. I'm normally a 34x34. Reviews on those said to order on size big, but the 36's were way too big waist to crotch, and the 34's were too tight on me.

FJOE

Regular Dude
Ironically 5.11s are the most prolific britches amongst those of us who are military sub-contractors.

Usually the same guys walking around in the airport in Dubai and Amman looking like the 5.11 catalog threw up all over them! You would think the one time you wouldn't want to wear all that stuff is when you are in the airport, and not at work.

Chris Boyd

Explorer
While I have tons of 5.11 kit from a previous job, lately I've been wearing the "Fencemenders" from eastern mountain sports. They've been taking on REI with their own creations. They are pretty good.

I also got a mailer for 5.11 that they have some new non-tactical looking cargo pants. They were significantly less than the tactical versions of the past few years. Might give those a try.

M35A2

Tinkerer
Golly, so sorry you are moving from jeans to slacks. :(

I was surprised to see many pages of cogent responses. I half expected some smart aleck to direct you to hipsterforum.com.

:) :) :)

sabbatical

I have been picking up replacements for my worn jeans and have decided to look elsewhere. Tired of feeling squished in the undercarriage. You might laugh but I've found some really nice pants at goodwill and salvation army. I ain't proud! I am looking for comfort and I have nothing to prove to anybody. Brand name means absolutley nothing. I got a new pair of unworn ripstop cargo pants a couple of weeks ago for $6. I got a nicely broken in (soft, not worn out) pair of chinos last week for $6. Although retailers will commonly charge crazy prices for new clothing, I don't have to pay that, and I look just like any other normal guy out in public.
Of course your milage may vary. Food for thought.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted

Let me check the tag when I get home but I believe so. My first pair ripped but that's because they were ordered a little too small and shrunk. Second pair I bought is bigger and very comfortable. However, these are not your typical Carthartt tough pants. My second pair has already got a small hole in the calf at which I put a small stick on patch (plan to restitch it eventually). Great lightweight pants to wear in the summer, really good breathability. They also dry stupid fast. If you don't plan to get rough with these pants they are pretty awesome, otherwise stick with the more traditional Carthartts. I use mine mainly for fishing (normally rolled up a little), light hiking, campfire pants, and travel.

bahncamperworks

Supporting Sponsor: Bahn Camper Works
I was a die hard carhart guy but I've been really happy with the Duluth fire hose flex pants. Way more comfortable and flexible. I got them for the shop but next to my fleece zip offs they are my go to for anytime.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles