Toyo 285/70/R19.5 M608z

engineer

Adventurer
I'm running 37psi steer and 42psi rear on the island, 65psi steer/70psi rear on the highway, and the diff on the NPS drags in the sand, then the bloody thing goes nowhere until you get the max trax under the back (if you can...)
imho, they don't even hold a candle to the 9.00R16 (255/100 16)
ill check milage tomorrow and get back to you all.
IMG_1053.JPG
IMG_0649.jpg

Last edited:

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
I guess that you will have to wait for the next model of NPS/FG in the hope they will have portal axles. ;)

skippythedog

Observer
.........wonder if siping would dissipate some of the heat and extend the wear.....if you're in Les Schwab country (exclusive Toyo dealer in the NW), they might offer some insight.

DIPA

Good day all

Heres 3 short Canning Stock route video clips during our 2009 trip ,
The onboard clip was taken on sand hill country prior to well 12 and the tyre pressures were 35 fronts and 40 rears and it was starting to be a struggle.

The next 2 clips were taken after pressures were reduced to 22psi fronts and 28 rears,as you can see the wheel tracks are quite deep but the reduced pressures allow the tyres to float on the surface this lifts the diff banjos giving clearance no more drag.
We stayed at these pressures for the duration of the Canning journey that year, the tyres were Hankook AH11s front and rears a highway pattern and we did the top half of the Canning a couple of years later with the Hankooks on the front and Toyos on the rear,with this combination and similar pressures our traction on the steeper dunes was better and a few areas of rain allowed us to continue most of the time.
At this point in time we had LSD on the rears only, I have now fitted an LSD unit to the front axle and that has allowed us to go pretty well anywhere we please off road with the mixed tyre combination

Cheers Dave

DIPA

Sorry Bris it appears the videos haven't loaded,I.m not sure what the problem is at this stage so have called for some help
{daughter] over the week end.

Cheers Dave

4bmad

Canning

Hi Bris
Keen to see the videos you are talking about. I'm at the stage of new tyres and hope to do the canning next year.
Cheers Bourkey

tortise

I have the same tires on my nps 300 & have just put the 2nd set on, got 65,000klms out of them 80% on road, I did rotate them often & used the 2 spares to get this, The biggest problem i've had is keeping them balanced but the ATW steel rims are half the problem
I would like to try something else but could not find anything in Aust at the time other than Road tires that were legal & as mine is used as work truck & camper its not worth the risk to fit illegal tyres & have been checked several times by RMS/RTA

steve4wdaus

4WDaus "tralia"
Hi guys
Thought I give you a quick update on the tyres. Have just completed 55,000kms on them now. Have religiously rotated and kept pressures to fit driving conditions. It appears there maybe another 10,000kms left in them, but they are definitely near their end. They are still puncher free and handling well. Still not sure what too replace them with, I am hoping something new may appear on the Australian market in the next 6 months or so.
Cheers
Steve

bajajoaquin

Adventurer
On our race car, we used to determine proper tire pressures with a pyrometer. First we used one of those IR guns, then we got a probe. We would test at three places across the tread after a hard lap. If the temperatures were higher in the center, we needed less air. Shoulders indicated a need for more air. Gradient side to side meant we had suspension adjustments to make.

I have often wished that I hadn't sold that pyrometer when we sold the race car. Sure would come in handy for stuff like this.

engineer

Adventurer
So, the chief has sourced some second hand 305/70R19.5 tyres!

We are taking them out today on trial to see if they are an improvement on the toys.

See you all tonight :)

P.s. i will get heaps of pics for you al....

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
So, the chief has sourced some second hand 305/70R19.5 tyres!

We are taking them out today on trial to see if they are an improvement on the toys.

See you all tonight :)

P.s. i will get heaps of pics for you al....
Chocko
What make pattern are they?
Regards John

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles