Fuel Tank Options

dcullen

Observer
Hello,
My Van is listed in my signature. I have been trying to find what options there are for a larger capacity fuel tank in my 2006 quigley. I have seen what ujoint offers but can't seem to find any other options. I very well may go with the ujoint tank as I am nearly positive my front strap is not moved (I would confirm first), but want to educate myself on what else there is before pulling the trigger. I have owned the van for about a month and it seems to hold about 26-28 gallons (maybe someone here can confirm the capacity after the tank is cut at quigley?). Anyways, I go on fairly long trips each weekend and would like to make my range between fuel stops longer. Any insight on to what works well, links to where to purchase or people to call and talk to would be great. Thank you in advance.

-Dan

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Transfer Flow makes a tank that will work but they won't sell it direct. Has to be bought & installed by SMB or Quadvan.

We have a Quigley coming in next week, adding a rear skid with aux tank that should add ~30 gallons. It's an EB van, will post pics.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
+/- 1997 E350 Ambulance package vans have a 35 Gal tank behind the rear axle... not sure which other vans they'll fit.

2.8rsr

I have the Transfer Flow 46 gal Quigley tank in the stock position and their 27 gal aux tank behind the rear axle. QuadVan actually shipped the 46 gal main tank to my Ford dealer who installed it after finding my stock tank was delaminating. It was the last tank he had in stock so I'm not sure if/when he would be ordering more (there is a minimum order from what he told me). If you can find one it is a pretty cool tank, it seriously takes up all available space that a tank could possibly take up between the tranny and the rear axle.

I go around 1000 miles between fill ups. :smiley_drive:

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
+/- 1997 E350 Ambulance package vans have a 35 Gal tank behind the rear axle... not sure which other vans they'll fit.

The cab/chassis E series models have a different rear frame section and x-members so its not an easy swap. I also tried to fit a standard midship tank to my cab/chassis and it didn't fit either! All of the x-members were different where the tank rides up against them. So, we just made one....

1der

Observer
You can also check with Aerotanks in San Bernadino, Ca they make a 45 plus gal tank for 4wd vans. Talk to Jake.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
I wish Titan had some options for us. Spoke to them a few years ago and they told me they'd make a mold for the E series midship tank. For 50k.

05LR3AZ

Adventurer
Transfer Flow makes a tank that will work but they won't sell it direct. Has to be bought & installed by SMB or Quadvan.

SMB won't do diesel (I just tried) and Quadvan was terrible at getting back to me (I was up there and wanted to pick up one of their TF tanks to get it installed).

rex_1_mn

Observer
Antique thread revival.

Anyone have a good solution for this yet? It would be awesome to have 60 or more gallons on board.

mgmetalworks

Explorer
We've done several 55 gallon tanks behind the axle...

I designed a dimple die tool for putting the fuel door in at that back
DSC_0117.JPG

I've used E-series cross members on several vans for mounting but I'm going to refine the design I did on the Cummins van from here on out. Too hard to find tanks with all the cross members and straps.

DSC_1436.JPG

The tanks are dimensionally 62 gallons but because of baffling and the reality of how much you could actually get out of the tank, you have more like 55 gallons to play with...maybe 57-58.

rex_1_mn

Observer
If all the proper parts are sourced how simple is it to cut out the old and install the new? Not taking into account the plumbing do the new cross members bolt in?

Your van is an extended right?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne