Fuel Tank Options

mgmetalworks

Explorer
If all the proper parts are sourced how simple is it to cut out the old and install the new? Not taking into account the plumbing do the new cross members bolt in?

Your van is an extended right?

Yeah, I have and EB. All the tanks so far have been EB vans but I have a 40 gallon going in an RB soon.

The cross members from the cut-away vans fit up into the frame rails of our vans ok but not perfectly. There are some holes to drill, stuff to relocate and some spacers to make to get all of the Ford parts to work together. I'm going to design a kit specifically for these tank installs so it's easier for us to install in our shop. I'll make it available to the DIY crowd soon. I have two vans here right now for tank installs so design will move forward quickly.

The tricky part for the DIY folks is the fuel door. If you want a factory looking recessed door, we'd have to find a way for folks to borrow a set of dies. They aren't exactly feather-weight for shipping either.

EU87

We've done several 55 gallon tanks behind the axle...

The tanks are dimensionally 62 gallons but because of baffling and the reality of how much you could actually get out of the tank, you have more like 55 gallons to play with...maybe 57-58.

Is this a diesel only tank or is there a gas option?

mgmetalworks

Explorer
Is this a diesel only tank or is there a gas option?

These tanks are gas or diesel. Same part number for both. The tanks we get are the pre-2009 tanks that are super tough, made out of some substantial sheet metal. The sending units are different for the gas rigs and so is the venting.

86scotty

Cynic
There are lots of the aft-axle tanks MG used above in yards too. I had no problem finding them on Car-Part when I was considering this awhile back.

Ujoint's tank is a work of art.

I've had a 45 gallon Aerotank that Jake made me for my 460 Sportsmobile and I had venting problems. Unless things have changed they are actuall designed as a diesel tank and are modified for an in tank (gasoline) sender/pump but it was the cheapest option for me when I needed one and I could'n't get a Ujoint one. I don't remember why, I think he was out of them.

If you're in Colorado it might be worth a call to Denver Fleet or Boulder Offroad. They both convert vans in the Denver area and might have a tank option better than cutting the factory one (which you already have).

djbonsu

Adventurer
Yeah, I have and EB. All the tanks so far have been EB vans but I have a 40 gallon going in an RB soon.

The cross members from the cut-away vans fit up into the frame rails of our vans ok but not perfectly. There are some holes to drill, stuff to relocate and some spacers to make to get all of the Ford parts to work together. I'm going to design a kit specifically for these tank installs so it's easier for us to install in our shop. I'll make it available to the DIY crowd soon. I have two vans here right now for tank installs so design will move forward quickly.

The tricky part for the DIY folks is the fuel door. If you want a factory looking recessed door, we'd have to find a way for folks to borrow a set of dies. They aren't exactly feather-weight for shipping either.

Very nice MG! Looking forward to your DIY aft tank kit for the RB vans! Any info in the pre 2009 tanks so I can start looking for one? (If available in the 40 gal version for RB vans)

Mmm pie

Observer

Thread revival... I'd be interested in diy kit for a 55 gallon tank. Not practical to drive across country for an install. As for the dimple die, a flat rate box should be the cheapest way to ship it and a refundable deposit with penalty for over xx days in returned (late fee?) should make sure it finds it way home in a timely manor.

rex_1_mn

Observer
I’m in the same boat. 06 RB. If there isn’t an affordable option out in the next year or two I will roll my own

hogasm

Observer
Thread revival... I'd be interested in diy kit for a 55 gallon tank. Not practical to drive across country for an install. As for the dimple die, a flat rate box should be the cheapest way to ship it and a refundable deposit with penalty for over xx days in returned (late fee?) should make sure it finds it way home in a timely manor.

If you do this I will go in halves with you

mgmetalworks

Explorer
As much as I'd like to make these a simple install, the fact is that these tanks don't just go right in. It's a lot of work. I've designed my own cross members to make things easier for us to install here but it still isn't easy enough that I'd feel comfortable selling them without a huge caveat...and that would be you'd pretty much be on your own for the rest of it. I've now done 5 installs (all EBs) and 1 coming up soon (RB). All different years, some gas, a diesel, V8s, V10s... Every single one has been different in some way. Whether it is the fuel line size, the sending unit, the evap canister and plumbing, etc, etc... No two vans have been the same. I couldn't tell you what fittings to buy, I can't say for sure what sending unit will work and depending on what type of hitch you have or evap canister, I can't even tell you specifically where to drill the holes for the cross members. I have to figure out each one on the fly. The relocation and venting for the emissions stuff is always a chore and requires custom brackets too. And if you want to do the fuel door like we do, there's a bunch of sheet metal work to do and fabrication of the filler tube. The extra fuel is great but it comes a cost.

The dies I made for the fuel door recess weren't that expensive. just shy of $400 to reproduce. If several people wanted to do it, a "community" set of dies can be made and passed around. Harbor Freight sells a hydraulic ram similar to what I use for drawing the dies together.

I can make the cross members, I can make the dies... I'm not going to have an all inclusive "kit" with step by step instructions though. An ambitious DIY'er can get these tanks installed but be prepared for some frustration and several ****** moments.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Wha wha? Cutaway chassis tanks bolt right in right? I've been hearing this for YEARS from people that have never done it.

Thanks for clarifying that its not a simple deal. As Neil says, juice isn't worth the squeeze.

mgmetalworks

Explorer
Wha wha? Cutaway chassis tanks bolt right in right? I've been hearing this for YEARS from people that have never done it.

Thanks for clarifying that its not a simple deal. As Neil says, juice isn't worth the squeeze.

They do bolt right in... after a few days worth of preparations and a fist full of $$ :)

For some folks, it is worth it though. I had my first customer call me from Baja to comment about a 400+ mile day they had without a working gas station in sight. Plenty of fuel in the 55 gallon tank to get them places. Wouldn't have been possible with a cut down tank.

Mmm pie

Observer
Despite the non bolt in issue, I'm probably going to try and add an aft tank on my eb. Something alluring about having 100 gallons of fuel and not having to carry fuel cans. I should focus on installing the ujoint lift first, make some more working room under the van.

Pegasus1

Anyone else have any experience with the Aero tanks? They are very convenient where I am and the price point seems good. I saw something about venting issues with the gas version. I would be needing the diesel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94