Smittybilt Scout Trailer Reviews?

Silverback07

Adventurer
Looks like an 18" Partner Steel stove will fit perfectly. The hose for the Partner attaches on left.

You know I was thinking about this. If you look at the photo you can see the stove is right up against the left side wall and the latch is right up against the right side of the stove. The only reason it works is because the hose sorta snakes around the right side under the latch. If if dumped out on the left side there is no place for it to go. Maybe you could modify the stove to have the connection come out the front?

Silverback07

Adventurer
A diamond plate box above the fender? That's it! We need more pics of your trailer mods!!!

Not a good pic, I was just taking it to see how it towed.

89F1D72C-85F6-4D0E-9D9B-86D017BA0E45.jpg

And one with the RTT up top, not fully mounted.
IMG_9243.jpg

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
You know I was thinking about this. If you look at the photo you can see the stove is right up against the left side wall and the latch is right up against the right side of the stove. The only reason it works is because the hose sorta snakes around the right side under the latch. If if dumped out on the left side there is no place for it to go. Maybe you could modify the stove to have the connection come out the front?

I think you could ask Partner to set it up that way for you, they're pretty much built to order anyway. Maybe the 16" Partner instead of the 18"? Since you are the only person I know in the world that has one of these trailers, is it possible to "flip the drawer" and have it access the stove from the other side? Are the two side compartments, "reversible", swapping the generator drawer to the kitchen? Please post more pics, really digging what you're doing with yours.

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
Not a good pic, I was just taking it to see how it towed.

89F1D72C-85F6-4D0E-9D9B-86D017BA0E45.jpg

And one with the RTT up top, not fully mounted.
IMG_9243.jpg

Love the side boxes! What are you storing inside? Lockable too? Great work!

Looking at your Spare mount and gas can holder on the back of the truck makes me wonder, are you going to need to extend the to bar a couple of feet?

Last edited:

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
I think you could ask Partner to set it up that way for you, they're pretty much built to order anyway. Maybe the 16" Partner instead of the 18"? Since you are the only person I know in the world that has one of these trailers, is it possible to "flip the drawer" and have it access the stove from the other side? Are the two side compartments, "reversible", swapping the generator drawer to the kitchen? Please post more pics, really digging what you're doing with yours.

The other alternative, and the easiest I think, would be to just take a hole-saw to the inner drawer bulkhead and cut a two inch hole to plug the hose in?

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
You know, it almost looks like a 5lb propane tank would fit inside your add-on boxes..........

Damn you and TKHawk! I may be going down this trailer road too!!

Silverback07

Adventurer
The other alternative, and the easiest I think, would be to just take a hole-saw to the inner drawer bulkhead and cut a two inch hole to plug the hose in?

This could be done, but you would have to cut through the back wall and into the generator compartment as well. I think contacting Partner Steel and having it made 17" and with a right exit, or front exit hose might just be the ideal ticket though.

Silverback07

Adventurer
Love the side boxes! What are you storing inside? Lockable too? Great work!

Looking at your Spare mount and gas can holder on the back of the truck makes me wonder, are you going to need to extend the to bar a couple of feet?

The side boxes store dry goods (Mountain House pouches), first aid, recovery gear (the lighter stuff). Not 100% sure what else I'll keep in them.

As for the tongue being close to the spare and fuel cans.. you are correct. Its close. The tongue box will hit the tire (barely) if I get it at 90 degrees or so. I have a MaxCoupler so I don't have too much of an option to make it longer. I suppose if its an issue I can do some fabrication and extend the tongue section. I could sleeve it with 2" x .25 wall square tube with same dimension for the extension.. fish plates and rosette welds should make it strong enough. We'll see if its an issue first. Haven't had a chance to use the thing yet, been too busy adding onto it and with the temps in or near triple digits I'm in no hurry to camp.

Edit: Was just informed that MaxCoupler sells a longer, looks like about 3x as long, extension for the MaxCoupler. Reached out to them via email and phone. Awaiting word back.

Last edited:

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
Mine will be here on Thursday, and I don't plan to install a spare tire. Instead, that spot is for a water tank, propane tank and generator. No reason to carry 2 spares...

From my time in the Corps. When it comes to redundancy, "Two is one, one is none". Words to live by.

I will try to get some pictures for you guys, like I said I really haven't done to much.

For the guys storing stuff in your tounge box, where are you putting your jacks at? I plan on making a devider to in the tounge box to house the jacks in the back, and battery with electronics in the front. No other senseable place to store the jacks in my opinion.

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
I will try to get some pictures for you guys, like I said I really haven't done to much.

For the guys storing stuff in your tounge box, where are you putting your jacks at? I plan on making a devider to in the tounge box to house the jacks in the back, and battery with electronics in the front. No other senseable place to store the jacks in my opinion.

The jacks are rotated and pinned in place sideways, serving as an impromptu rear bumper.

Tkhawk

Adventurer
I got an email saying that it'll be 6 weeks before it ships. :( Oh well that gives me plenty of time to make plans and stay looking for goodies!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier