The Next evolution in truck camper/tent tops

Crazy Schooner

Fortune's A Mistress
Shame I don't own a Tacoma. I'd be interested in this setup for my truck They mention 2012-2018 Colorados which just seems silly. The old body style like mine ended in 2012. Newer body style trucks started production in 2015. More than likely 2015+ will be made available for purchase in the near future, if I had to take a guess.

Last edited:

Hummelator

Adventurer
It seems to me that aside from the lower price point, this doesn't have much more going for it than an AT habitat. If you are to have the canopy version and want to sleep two tall people you'll either have to enter from the outside or get up and then fit the cushion panels back in. Unless I'm picturing the dimensions wrong?
I'm in the market for some type of camper/tent but I don't think this will make the list...

HONDO Garage

Wish I'd invented Airwolf
It seems to me that aside from the lower price point, this doesn't have much more going for it than an AT habitat. If you are to have the canopy version and want to sleep two tall people you'll either have to enter from the outside or get up and then fit the cushion panels back in. Unless I'm picturing the dimensions wrong?
I'm in the market for some type of camper/tent but I don't think this will make the list...

Hi,

I'm the designer of the GFC Platform so perhaps I can shed some light on the pass-through floor. The floor has a 50" x 50" removable section that has two 25" x 25" hinged panels. The mattress is also panelized and snaps into the floor panels. This lets you slide the whole floor onto the loft portion when you want a lot of open space. But if you are sleeping two tall people upstairs and one wants to get out, that person flips the latch and a 25" square panel swings down and hooks underneath so it's out of the way. Each side has it's own swing down panel. Sounds complicated but it's simpler in use. You can also turn the whole panel sideways and flip the two squares open to make a bunk if you're traveling solo.

The other upside vs the Habitat is that it's lighter, can be used in a parking space when needed, and you can pop it up with bikes or surfboards on top.

@HONDO Garage

Feasibility of redesigning the rack? LOL, I know, I know but I gots ideas, lol

I saw on taco World the guys worried about the height. Would it be feasible to hinge the top of the rack so that they tent could be lowered to the top of the bed rails? It would add length out over the rear (drop back and down) but improve aero a lot when not needed in the up position or just being able to be lowered for clearance

Thinking the rack could work something like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49GMfFXksoQ

HONDO Garage

@HONDO Garage

Feasibility of redesigning the rack? LOL, I know, I know but I gots ideas, lol

I saw on taco World the guys worried about the height. Would it be feasible to hinge the top of the rack so that they tent could be lowered to the top of the bed rails? It would add length out over the rear (drop back and down) but improve aero a lot when not needed in the up position or just being able to be lowered for clearance

Thinking the rack could work something like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49GMfFXksoQ

Not this go 'round. The lower isn't just a rack but a sealed shell integrated into the upper tent. Technically they come apart but were designed to be used as a unit. You'd have to remove the aluminum panels from the lower to make it work. Could work with the canvas sided versions but it would end up being a lot heavier and more expensive. And on short bed trucks it would stick out almost 3 feet behind the tailgate.

This is probably the lowest profile popup you can buy. At 6" it's half the height (closed) of an Autohome Columbus. The fellow on Tacoma World with height concerns needed to park in underground lots that are only 6'2" tall. I couldn't even stand up in that :)

Not this go 'round. The lower isn't just a rack but a sealed shell integrated into the upper tent. Technically they come apart but were designed to be used as a unit. You'd have to remove the aluminum panels from the lower to make it work. Could work with the canvas sided versions but it would end up being a lot heavier and more expensive. And on short bed trucks it would stick out almost 3 feet behind the tailgate.

This is probably the lowest profile popup you can buy. At 6" it's half the height (closed) of an Autohome Columbus. The fellow on Tacoma World with height concerns needed to park in underground lots that are only 6'2" tall. I couldn't even stand up in that :)

Gotcha

General Automag

Adventurer
Will you sell your support rack separately? This would be good for folks wanting to mount a roof rack and or a roof top tent.

It would be great if you could have insulated tent material or at least the poly/cotton material that most roof top tents are made of these days. Whatever material you use, you must insure that the entire setup is waterproof and leak proof.

If you could add the tent to a hard shell truck cap, then you would have a less-expensive, albeit different, version of the Four Wheel Pop Up campers.

I'm considering truck cap / truck camper options now, and FYI a loaded A.R.E. truck cap is about $3K to $3,500. Without hard sides, you have the problem of leaving your gear (including a fridge freezer) open and exposed to the elements. The 1-2 night 3-season camper seems to be your market here.

HONDO Garage

Will you sell your support rack separately? This would be good for folks wanting to mount a roof rack and or a roof top tent.

It would be great if you could have insulated tent material or at least the poly/cotton material that most roof top tents are made of these days. Whatever material you use, you must insure that the entire setup is waterproof and leak proof.

If you could add the tent to a hard shell truck cap, then you would have a less-expensive, albeit different, version of the Four Wheel Pop Up campers.

I'm considering truck cap / truck camper options now, and FYI a loaded A.R.E. truck cap is about $3K to $3,500. Without hard sides, you have the problem of leaving your gear (including a fridge freezer) open and exposed to the elements. The 1-2 night 3-season camper seems to be your market here.

We're going to have an insulated fabric option that can be swapped out. The fabric sides clip in and can be removed in about two minutes.

As for mounting to a truck cap, that's what we're selling. The lower topper is available with either soft sides or aluminum hard sides but it's integrated with the tent. But we will be making the lower portion available as a stand-alone topper without the tent in the future. Again, available with either hard or soft skins. I'm a fan of the soft sides personally. I think they're just as secure as a hard sided topper if said topper has a rear window, as every person i know who's had their vehicle broken into, it's been through a smashed window. So even a soft sided shell is reasonably secure as long as people can't see what's in the back. So I run soft sides with a bed platform. Valuables go under the platform and the tailgate locks.

DAlgozine

Will you sell just the upper tent separately with an open floor? If so what are the details?
What are the dimensions available...width and length ?

s.e.charles

would there be any practical side to offering a pop up tent (not the wedge shape)? I like the access to the bed cap from inside. does the translucent roof/ ceiling offer too great a solar gain in warm months or climes (Arizona sun)? unit looks well made from the video. I didn't scour the options, but are there windows available for the "cap" panels? seems like the truck cab would be dark without at least a front window in the cap. or do the panels act as sheer panels? the frame looks like it has the bases covered in that regard.
thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles