315mm Front brake upgrade

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader

BEG

Adventurer
I'm not quite sure I understand how this is possible unless the Gen 3 uses a larger brake pad. Physically speaking, a smaller diameter rotor can't have more surface area if the center rotor hat diameter remains the same, and the only way it's going to increase the mass is if it's considerably thicker (it would have to be SOMEWHAT thicker just to make up for the loss of mass due to the smaller diameter, and a LOT thicker to actually increase the mass).

The only ways to actually increase the braking force are by increasing the area of the brake pad, or by changing to a more aggressive brake pad material. Any modifications you do to the brake rotors (increasing the size, slotting, or drilling) are only assisting in the heat absorption and dissipation - they won't increase braking force, and slotting and drilling will actually reduce the braking force slightly due to the reduction of the rotor's surface area.

You're referring to swept area, which is the contact area of the pad/rotor interface. I'm referring to the area of the the rotors surface that is exposed to the air. A solid rotor only has surface area on it's two outside faces. A vented rotor has surface area on both outside faces, the inside faces and the surface of the vanes. This, coupled with the greater mass, allows the rotor to act as a better heat sink and dissipate heat more effectively, which leads to reduced brake fade, more consistent braking and less chances of warping.

RyanY

Adventurer
You're referring to swept area, which is the contact area of the pad/rotor interface. I'm referring to the area of the the rotors surface that is exposed to the air. A solid rotor only has surface area on it's two outside faces. A vented rotor has surface area on both outside faces, the inside faces and the surface of the vanes. This, coupled with the greater mass, allows the rotor to act as a better heat sink and dissipate heat more effectively, which leads to reduced brake fade, more consistent braking and less chances of warping.

You are totally correct - I was referring to swept area, not thinking that there was a vented rotor option. That could be a very nice upgrade if it could be made to work on the Gen 2 rear axle.

WontonSoup

Awesome write-up Toasty! I've been throwing around this idea for a while, so it's nice that somebody was able to do it before me and confirm everything :D

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
I did, I also need to re write this thread and add the rear brake upgrade. That will be on the new forum though.

Steve1814

I did, I also need to re write this thread and add the rear brake upgrade. That will be on the new forum though.

Thanks! I bought some re-manufactured caliper brackets to try and wanted to fit them to the Monty to make sure my 16" rims don't interfere before I spend the $$ on the new rotors. I have the Victron Ziga's on my rig and although they are 16" they might be iffy...

cr4x4cruiser

Observer
It's well worth going to a boneyard to retrieve the - OEM - hard parts...

2 Splash Shields

2 Caliper Brackets

$39.06 [military discount]

LKQ Pick Your Part

Yes, less than $10 for each part...

Plus, if you have never tackled this job before, you get to practice in the boneyard!

Good luck,

Wm.

Salonika

Monterror Pilot
I wonder what the percent increase in stopping power is with this mod. Since there is probably plenty of stopping performance data for the stock setup, someone should do a few tests and throw up the results. Or do a side by side test Top Gear style.

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
Well we have 2 identically set up trucks minus brake size, we're both running power stop parts and stainless lines. I just need to do my rear brakes and we can post up some real data. I'll compile everything into a clean new thread and hopefully get it plugged into the Montero Wiki.

haolepinoy

Incomplete Idiot
Well we have 2 identically set up trucks minus brake size, we're both running power stop parts and stainless lines. I just need to do my rear brakes and we can post up some real data. I'll compile everything into a clean new thread and hopefully get it plugged into the Montero Wiki.

You guys are great! Keep up the awesome.

...and if you get some free time, let us Gen 3 guys know what our options are for the front brakes (if any).

KyleT

Explorer
You guys are great! Keep up the awesome.

...and if you get some free time, let us Gen 3 guys know what our options are for the front brakes (if any).

NS/NT front brakes bolt on but require 17” wheels IIRC and you have to swap the knuckles. Someone in the US did the swap and has the parts list. I think there is a thread also on the Pajero Australia forums.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles