ExpeditionOverland: South America 2017 - Debuts 10/27/17

rkj__

Adventurer
For some reason I was not excited for the release of the premier. I did not love the Central America season as much as some of the other productions, but I think that was more a result of my lack of interest in Central America as a destination, and not so much a fault of the show.

That said, I really enjoyed the South America premier. A 47 minute episode was awesome. There is no better YouTube content in this genre. Honestly, I tried to watch another similar adventure travel series, but found I lost interest. It just was not as captivating as what Expedition Overland offers.

I'm looking forward to the rest of the season.

Ovrlnd Rd

Adventurer
For some reason I was not excited for the release of the premier. I did not love the Central America season as much as some of the other productions, but I think that was more a result of my lack of interest in Central America as a destination, and not so much a fault of the show.

That said, I really enjoyed the South America premier. A 47 minute episode was awesome. There is no better YouTube content in this genre. Honestly, I tried to watch another similar adventure travel series, but found I lost interest. It just was not as captivating as what Expedition Overland offers.

I agree. Not that thrilled with Central/South America but see the draw for the Overland community. I personally think there's enough north of the Mexican border to see and I don't have to deal with language barriers, drug dealers, Federales, etc as long as I stay out of Chicago :)

I think the show's production value comes from the fact that Clay was a professional videographer to begin with. He had to have a certain eye for things in order to make a living before the show. That coupled with a great group of friends helping out. I do miss Scott though.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
...That said, I really enjoyed the South America premier. A 47 minute episode was awesome. There is no better YouTube content in this genre. Honestly, I tried to watch another similar adventure travel series, but found I lost interest. It just was not as captivating as what Expedition Overland offers.

Thanks for watching and I too hope you enjoy the remainder of the season!

ExplorerTom

Explorer
Question for you Kurt:
On this South America trip you guys just did, what would be the bare minimum for vehicle requirements to cover those same miles?

Forget about the need to haul people and gear in that vehicle. What is the "minimum" 4 wheeled vehicle that could have tagged along? So far I haven't seen anything that really needs much capability.

I ask because how often do you see someone (on here or on any one of the many FB pages) ask: "I have vehicle X, can I turn it into an Overlander?" I have a theory that there are plenty of epic trips that can be done with much less vehicle than most people think.

For this hypothetical question, ignore the fact that if you have a vehicle right at the peak of its capabilities, then it's very easy to exceed its capabilities and break it.

Thanks!

cruiseroutfit

Great question Tom. The entire length of the PanAmerican Highway could be driven in a sedan, no question about it.

Somewhere in the recent years the definition of overlanding took a massive morph. Where as it simply used to be along these lines:

"Overlanding describes self-reliant adventure travel to remote destinations where the journey is the primary goal. Typically, but not exclusively, accommodated by mechanized off-highway capable transport (from bicycles to trucks) where the principal form of lodging is camping; often lasting for extended lengths of time (months to years) and often spanning international boundaries. While expedition is defined as a journey with a purpose, overlanding sees the journey as the purpose."
Source: http://www.overlandjournal.com/overlanding/what_is_overlanding/

Fast forward to recent and it seems overlanding is anything from a day trip to the mountains or a global adventure, and for some the day trip to the mountains is more overlanding so long as there is an off-road component and the global journey "isn't really overlanding". (This was quoted just today from a gent).

I don't want to spoil anything but our later endeavors will require a bit more clearance. :D

arb098

Adventurer
Holy crap! I had no idea y'all where on the forums! We came across your Central America videos when we first started planning our Panamerican Highway trip, and we actually just started your newest series. Love it, guys! Y'all rock.

cruiseroutfit

Holy crap! I had no idea y'all where on the forums! We came across your Central America videos when we first started planning our Panamerican Highway trip, and we actually just started your newest series. Love it, guys! Y'all rock.

Thanks for watching!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles