• 28B66C19-5157-4238-A584-398260B4AF6E.jpg
    28B66C19-5157-4238-A584-398260B4AF6E.jpg
    520.1 KB · Views: 6

rayra

Expedition Leader
moonshot034.jpg

rayra

Expedition Leader
Santa Paula / 'Thomas' fire bloom threatening Filmore CA, midday today, taken from north of Castaic Lake / reservoir. This is the other end of the fire that just wiped out the north edge of Ventura, CA and burned to the Pacific Ocean.

SantaPaulaThomasFire.jpg

I was up there today trying to get some photos of the Canadair scooper planes at work.

SylmarFireScooperScooping.jpg

Last edited:

rayra

Expedition Leader
Clearly, its the new iPhone X camera.

lol, not quite as expensive. I've got a telescope eyepiece t-adapter for my shiny new DSLR so I can shoot thru my telescopes. My old Meade ETX 90 happens to have just the right native focal length that the Moon just fills the frame on the camera sensor. earth rotation / moon motion moves it thru the frame in about 20 seconds, so I have to set up the shot be framing things ahead of the apparent motion and then sitting there hunched over my smartphone (using the Canon app and DSLR's wireless connectivity so the phone is a wireless shutter remote) as the vibrations dampen out and the Moon moves thru. There's about 3 heartbeats from the time the Moon fully enters the frame until it starts moving out. So I have to sit there focused on the phone like a tween hunting Pokemon.
It's a very crude setup, but it works.
I have an 8" dobsonian telescope, but I have to use a Barlow doubler eyepiece to get a proper focus in the camera, due to the 2" eyepiece focuser on that telescope. And that magnifies things too much, can only see about a quarter of the surface of the moon in the camera. Not that that is a bad thing ;)

moonshot015.jpg
moonshot018.jpg
moonshot000.jpg

My first DSLR, a new lower-end Canon EOS Rebel T6, Costco has a real good deal on this camera kit right now and a nice Nikon kit too (mod. 3400?). My last 'real' camera was a Canon AE-1 Program 35mm. I've forgotten everything I ever knew about proper photography. Been using pocket digicams and smartphone cameras for years and years. I have to re-learn everything.

eta I also have a solar filter for that ETX, and the Sun is the same angular size as the Moon. So I should be able to get some nice images of the surface of the Sun, too. Haven't tried yet, just got the camera on Black Friday. T6, 18-55 lens, 75-300 lens, 32Gb card, carrying case, $450. $550 normally. I thought it was a great deal / value.

Last edited:

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
lol, not quite as expensive. I've got a telescope eyepiece t-adapter for my shiny new DSLR so I can shoot thru my telescopes. My old Meade ETX 90 happens to have just the right native focal length that the Moon just fills the frame on the camera sensor. earth rotation / moon motion moves it thru the frame in about 20 seconds, so I have to set up the shot be framing things ahead of the apparent motion and then sitting there hunched over my smartphone (using the Canon app and DSLR's wireless connectivity so the phone is a wireless shutter remote) as the vibrations dampen out and the Moon moves thru. There's about 3 heartbeats from the time the Moon fully enters the frame until it starts moving out. So I have to sit there focused on the phone like a tween hunting Pokemon.
It's a very crude setup, but it works.
I have an 8" dobsonian telescope, but I have to use a Barlow doubler eyepiece to get a proper focus in the camera, due to the 2" eyepiece focuser on that telescope. And that magnifies things too much, can only see about a quarter of the surface of the moon in the camera. Not that that is a bad thing ;)

My first DSLR, a new lower-end Canon EOS Rebel T6, Costco has a real good deal on this camera kit right now and a nice Nikon kit too (mod. 3400?). My last 'real' camera was a Canon AE-1 Program 35mm. I've forgotten everything I ever knew about proper photography. Been using pocket digicams and smartphone cameras for years and years. I have to re-learn everything.

eta I also have a solar filter for that ETX, and the Sun is the same angular size as the Moon. So I should be able to get some nice images of the surface of the Sun, too. Haven't tried yet, just got the camera on Black Friday. T6, 18-55 lens, 75-300 lens, 32Gb card, carrying case, $450. $550 normally. I thought it was a great deal / value.

Still have my AE-1 Program that was a gift from my parents when I was in 3rd grade. That started it all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles