Question.

Hey guys! Beginner jeeper here, I was wondering why does my Jeep have rough country shocks on the front axel? Took her off roading a bit today to capture some cool pictures and noticed that. Does it help with steering or something?

8c0b2b91206cf51ef110ca57f1c08c48.jpg
30158fe7316548468425c07ae99c1e8f.jpg
7f35cf8de4bb5e82fd91f9af30795377.jpg

Lucky j

Explorer
Probobly not a new jeep that you got, and privious owner though that double steering damper was necessary to controle death wooble situation instead of looking for the real issues.

SoCal Tom

Explorer
They come stock with a steering stabilizer. The po replaced it at some point. They help with steering vibrations and steering shocks, like if you clip a rock or curb.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: Trouble with "double shock" dampeners is premature steering box/fitting wear-trauma !

As mentioned above, they were probably added to further dampen alignment/lift/unbalance problems that should have been corrected anyway--

Bad idea to leave them installed !

Good luck

:costumed-smiley-007:bike_rider: JIMBO

Ravenmad

Observer
Stuff

LuckyJ is correct. Most likely the PO exspearenced some amount of death wobble (straight axle shimmy) and figured if one stearing stabilizer is good then two is obviously better. It is true that a single pass stearing stabilizer shock, much like a single pass hydraulic ram is faster in one direction than the other and there was a definite perception at one time (1980s) that you could equal this out by utilizing a second stearing stabilizer shock placed in the the opposite direction (longitudinally) ... Today, with the advent of double pass adjustable stearing stabilizers there is no longer a need for the glamor harkening back to the 1980s representation of modern tech. Fortunately it's a good looking jeep and I don't see a freshly installed set of fluorescent pink triple blade windshield wipers.

All joking aside, dual stearing stabilizer shocks are a bit much, not adjustable and depending on the valving possably a bit overkill, with a tendency to mask a greater issue. It is entirely possible they were not placed there to hide/ deal with death wobble, in fact, they could just be there because the PO liked them. You may consider removing them and checking for the dreaded "death wobble" and then seek to repair its cause. If no "death wobble" exists, put them back on and drive that baby to your hearts content.

:sombrero: Trouble with "double shock" dampeners is premature steering box/fitting wear-trauma !

As mentioned above, they were probably added to further dampen alignment/lift/unbalance problems that should have been corrected anyway--

Bad idea to leave them installed !

Good luck

:costumed-smiley-007:bike_rider: JIMBO

Do I take it to a shop or how do I fix it myself?

LuckyJ is correct. Most likely the PO exspearenced some amount of death wobble (straight axle shimmy) and figured if one stearing stabilizer is good then two is obviously better. It is true that a single pass stearing stabilizer shock, much like a single pass hydraulic ram is faster in one direction than the other and there was a definite perception at one time (1980s) that you could equal this out by utilizing a second stearing stabilizer shock placed in the the opposite direction (longitudinally) ... Today, with the advent of double pass adjustable stearing stabilizers there is no longer a need for the glamor harkening back to the 1980s representation of modern tech. Fortunately it's a good looking jeep and I don't see a freshly installed set of fluorescent pink triple blade windshield wipers.

All joking aside, dual stearing stabilizer shocks are a bit much, not adjustable and depending on the valving possably a bit overkill, with a tendency to mask a greater issue. It is entirely possible they were not placed there to hide/ deal with death wobble, in fact, they could just be there because the PO liked them. You may consider removing them and checking for the dreaded "death wobble" and then seek to repair its cause. If no "death wobble" exists, put them back on and drive that baby to your hearts content.

Thanks for the advice I’ll do that, do I just remove the driver side shock and leave the passenger side on?

Midnightsun

Adventurer
Dual steering stabilizers wouldn't hide death wobble. Pull one off go balance wheels if your tires are good and you be fine

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles