Colorado diesel narrowly beats Tacoma in head to head comparison

quickfarms

Adventurer
As for commuter car we needed the HOV lane cheater sticker for the commute, Executive level interior for local investor visits and a quiet interior for work calls. That only left two options in 2016 a $105,000 Tesla or a $35,000 Fusion Energie Titanium. It has 50k on the clock and will be replaced in 4yrs with some where around 200k on the clock. So far its beena great car. No complaints. 750miles on a tank

You speak strange language, I haven't commuted since I turned 40.

Clutch

<---Pass
Drive a few of the new manuals. After driving a couple with goofy gear spacing and the throttle nanny / emmissions tuning that dull throttle response I pretty much wrote off modern manuals. Maybe in a Porsche I could be happy with that. But a poorly done Manual is worse than a slush box.

The 5 speed in the 4 cyl SR Tacoma isn't bad...the 6 in the V6 is a little goofy. I have to give up my manual trans is what it comes down to it. The SR is woefully underpowered....I could make the V6 work, if I go with a AT Habitat, and a 5X8 enclosed trailer. Problem with that setup is, AT Hab is $10K when everything is said and done. I can get a ATC Shell for $9K. (and have a hard roof for the PNW trips) 5X8 trailer gets really snug with 2-3 bikes, gear and spares/tools.

ACLB V6 manny is $35K before tax/title. I found a Ram 2500 up the road from me for under $30K. Could do the Ram and the ATC for $5K less, than what I would be into the Taco/AT setup. And have a hell of a lot more truck.

What you really need is to buy several vehicles ranging from a full size heavy truck all the way down to a motorcycle.

Yeah, we had all that. Motos, ATV's, tractors, Toyota pickups, 3/4-1 ton pickups and dumps, 1 ton box vans, 1 ton service vans, back hoes, crawler loaders, bobcats, water trucks, 2.5 ton dumps, Mack Tri-axle, fork lifts. Just more ******** you have take care of....just changing the oil in all of that is event!.....had enough of that.

This stage of life...1 truck and 1 dirt bike for me, and I am good! Want more trail/camp time, and less time fussing with gaaaahhhhwd damn machinery. ;)

You speak strange language, I haven't commuted since I turned 40.

That is the plan! 2 more years is what I am shooting for...and I can give up this commuter BS. Last 20 some odd years, never had a commute more than 5 miles round trip...with the recent move to Idaho, it is now 58 miles round trip, and I fricken hate it...had much worse back when I lived in PA, that was 1.5-2 hours if I was lucky... here it is mucho easier...but still hate dealing with commuter traffic.

Last edited:

Adventurous

Explorer
That is the other thing, it really isn't that much smaller, track width is 64" compared to a F250's 68", overall width is 75" to the Ford's 80". Access cab wheelbase of 127" to the Super Cab shortbed of 141". The super cab has about as much rear leg room as the Tacoma's Double cab.

Resale isn't too bad on the F250/350's either. About the same as Taco's, people want a premium for old clapped POS. :D

In the big scheme of things, oh no's it doesn't matter. It was simply an observation. :ylsmoke:

Good thing you brought up rotors, are they attached or floating, do you have to rip it all apart to replace them or is the wheel holding them on like the fronts on the Taco's. My old Toyotas and Fords you had to rip the whole hub apart to get the rotors off. Since you have to replace them every 100K, I rack up the miles really quick, be nice to know if the job is going to be fast or slow. :D

So I went and test drove a Tundra at lunch time today for sharts n giggles. 5.7L, double cab, 6.5' bed. Initial impressions were that it didn't feel that much larger than my DCLB Tacoma. Floor was lower, ceiling was higher, passenger is noticeably further away, but not a ton. Back seats, even in the double cab, had enough room to fit real sized people. Power difference was apparent, the size not so much. Were I to choose between the two today I would choose the Tundra. Throw on some King suspension, airbags and cradles, some AT tires, a hidden winch, on board air and a slide in camper and I think that would very much satisfy my desires.

Clutch

<---Pass
So I went and test drove a Tundra at lunch time today for sharts n giggles. 5.7L, double cab, 6.5' bed. Initial impressions were that it didn't feel that much larger than my DCLB Tacoma. Floor was lower, ceiling was higher, passenger is noticeably further away, but not a ton. Back seats, even in the double cab, had enough room to fit real sized people. Power difference was apparent, the size not so much. Were I to choose between the two today I would choose the Tundra. Throw on some King suspension, airbags and cradles, some AT tires, a hidden winch, on board air and a slide in camper and I think that would very much satisfy my desires.

Jumping from the 1st Tacoma to the Tundra, it feels a bunch bigger...but yeah, 2nd/3rd gen Taca, really not all that much difference, dimensions of DCSB Tundra aren't that much different from your DCLB Tacoma...some reason it just looks so much bigger from the outside.

Would love to stay with Toyota, believe I would be pushing the payload though, with a popup camper and pulling a trailer. Might be able to make it work with a RCLB, IIRC that payload is 2000lbs.

Last edited:

Dalko43

Explorer
Jumping from the 1st Tacoma to the Tundra, it feels a bunch bigger...but yeah, 2nd/3rd gen Taca, really not all that much difference, dimensions of DCSB Tundra aren't that much different from your DCLB Tacoma...some reason it just looks so much bigger from the outside.

Would love to stay with Toyota, believe I would be pushing the payload though, with a popup camper and pulling a trailer. Might be able to make it work with a RCLB, IIRC that payload is 2000lbs.

A popup camper and a trailer you say??? Clutch, might I interest you in a diesel Colorado Z71 or even a Ford F-150 with the new Powerstroke V6 (soon to be released)? With those kinds of loads, it sounds like you shouldn't have any issues keeping the emissions functioning properly ;)

Clutch

<---Pass
A popup camper and a trailer you say??? Clutch, might I interest you in a diesel Colorado Z71 or even a Ford F-150 with the new Powerstroke V6 (soon to be released)? With those kinds of loads, it sounds like you shouldn't have any issues keeping the emissions functioning properly ;)

Specs look very good on the small diesels. However, I average roughly 25K miles a year, will be out of warranty pretty quick, plus plan on keeping the vehicle for 10-15 years. I don't want deal with an out of warranty diesel, when those systems start to fail. Think we have been over this in the past several times. :) Not real fond of automatic transmissions over the long haul either...but it is what it is.

Might consider an ecoboost 2.7, even then have to deal with turbos. Super Cab short bed F-150 with the 5.0 specs look good for my needs. https://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/2017/models/f150-xl/

Looking that the F250 too, looks like the Super Cab short bed only comes with a 29 gallon tank, and the F150 you can get a 36...wonder why they do that? As the 6.2 gets worse mileage than the 5.0.

Shooting to quit my commute in 2 years, so fuel consumption isn't too much of a concern. Running up a bunch of miles goes away too, still don't want to deal with an out of warranty truck when it comes up 5 years after purchase. Not big on doing the constant trade-on thing either, like a lot of people tend to do. Seems like people get bored real quick...not me. ;)

Last edited:

OutOfBounds

Adventurer
I'm driving a 2005 Tundra right now. I love the truck, but it's bloody hard on fuel. In 3 - 4 years I'll be in the market for a new truck. I'm a Toyota guy first, a GM guy second. The new Tacoma is a really nice truck, and I love the availability of aftermarket parts for it. However it's hard on fuel, the tow numbers aren't impressive and it's super expensive for what you get. The Tundra is a great truck too, and it'd be a no brainer for my next truck if it wasn't so friggen hard on fuel. Unless Toyota gets with the program and updates the Tundra engine to be more fuel efficient, I'll be taking a very hard look a the Colorado and Canyon mid sized trucks as well as quite probably looking at Sierra's again. Even a full size GMC Sierra with a 5.3L or even a 6.2L V8 gets better fuel economy, has better hp and towing numbers and gets you more for your buck than a Toyota these days. The only thing you don't get is that "Toyota reliablity", but GM has really stepped up the last couple years.

C'mon Toyota!!! You have 3 years to get your ducks in a row and come up with something new or GM is gonna take the mid size market from you too!!

Hobiecat

Observer
Drive a few of the new manuals. After driving a couple with goofy gear spacing and the throttle nanny / emmissions tuning that dull throttle response I pretty much wrote off modern manuals. Maybe in a Porsche I could be happy with that. But a poorly done Manual is worse than a slush box.

Right there with you on that. The 5 speed in my 2015 Tacoma was very frustrating for me at first and my wife still can't get it out of the driveway without stalling 4 times. I'm willing to pay a little extra to stay in the midsize segment, just because the size is easier for me to manage in tight spaces. I will concede and buy an automatic next time, so the Colorado Diesel is right at the top of my want list.

D

Deleted member 9101

Given that the 2nd generation US spec Colorado has only been in production since 2014 (sold as a 2015 MY), it is going to take some time to see how the reliability fairs.

Yes they are! Honestly don't know if they are worth it. Grappling with if I should buy another, or just buy a fullsize.

I was in the same boat. I ended up going with a Ecoboost F150, same cost as a Tacoma and I got way more truck.

Clutch

<---Pass
I was in the same boat. I ended up going with a Ecoboost F150, same cost as a Tacoma and I got way more truck.

Think I am over vehicles in general, blame it on having a 60 mile round trip commute now, really starting to hate vehicles...all of them...nobody is building what I want and they are so dang expensive anymore. Don't feel like spend money on....well, anything. May get a more weather proof camper to replace the Wildernest, for the truck I already have and call it good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles