Ursa Minor Pop-Top Jeep JK

Presto88

Adventurer
Just out of curiosity, what roof racks is everyone using on these? I see several options listed on the build site.

ratled

I got the Yakima mounts on mine. I didn't realize when I ordered that if you don't order the actual racks, then you don't get the adjustable mounts - the back mounts ones on mine don't slide fore/aft. I would have liked that feature, but I'm beginning to wonder if I'll ever actually get a rack up there, so it might be a moot point.

UtahGuido

Yakima Side loader rack mounts

Has anyone attached Yakima Side Loader rack mounts to the sides of their J-30? These are the ones that allow you to use gutter mount towers. I'm wondering if the fiberglass would be strong enough to support any sort of weight, even with a backing plate.

Like this:

yakima gutter mount.jpeg

larock1971

I finally joined the UM J30 club a couple weeks ago. Got such a great deal on it it was worth the 5 hour drive to Phoenix. We had a Tepui, while we liked it, this is so much quicker, quieter, and fits our style of travel better.

IMG_1805.jpg

Last edited:

telyt

First post here, the J30 looks perfect for my needs. I confess I haven't read the entire thread, I've only gotten to page 72 so far.

I don't have the jeep yet and I need to resolve a couple of issues before the boss (who is 5' 2" and has a bad knee) gives the green light. BTW my current vehicle is a '96 ex-USFS Dodge Dakota 4x4 with a utility cap
greentruck.jpg

which suits me fine but doesn't work so well when hauling grandkids.

1) how have you made the jeep's seating areas more accessible for 5' 2" people? or for grandkids? I suspect the grandkids won't have trouble climbing but the boss's knee will complain long and loud. Are there any steps available that not only provide a fairly low step and can fold out of the way? I don't plan on lifting the jeep at all. Climbing into the J30 won't be a problem, it's primarily for me, but the jeep will need to do double-duty as a daily driver.

2) at some point in this thread I saw a photo of what looks like a side access hatch in place of a window on the hard top. Any idea where I can find that part?

Great thread, lots of good info.

cowboybirder

Observer
mountain off road enterprises (M.O.R.E.) sell the "hide a step" a self retracting step that lowers entry 11". As for access into the top we use a telescoping ladder from the outside(usually too much stuff in the backseats to access from inside). We have an AEV 2 1/2" lift and 34" BFG KO2's and it's not too much trouble to enter. My wife is 65 and still climbs right in but the "Hide a Step" may be coming.

jscherb

Expedition Leader

2) at some point in this thread I saw a photo of what looks like a side access hatch in place of a window on the hard top...

These photos aren't in this thread, but they're in this forum, maybe these are the ones you saw?

CargoHatchTable_zpsfdyogglb.jpg

CargoHatchGullWing_zpspif262bx.jpg

HatchSidePanel4_zpseijzy5ms.jpg

rubicon91

Explorer
I hope this is finally the week my j30 is finalized and shipped. Very frustrating with the timeframe of the build. When I started the process mid October they had a snafu with ordering system so I lost 2 weeks there. Even with that was told it would be ready 12/15. Talk to John every week and I am now in the 7th week past due. Was supposed to pay last Friday and it be ready but no phone call. Starting to question my decision to go this route. Missing out on trips that I had planned and a big one in 4 weeks is now up in the air as well. Sigh

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Gear

Explorer, Overland Certified OC0020
Hang in there! Once it is on, you will forget about all the waiting. Fingers crossed 🤞

cowboybirder

Observer
worth the wait

When you see the craftsmanship and attention to detail you will be glad they didn't hurry the job.
Don't forget they are a small shop building one at a time. Mine took longer than I hoped also, but,
it has proved to be one of the best purchases I have ever made.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
So are there any plans to create this type of roof top camp tent for a soft top. Basically have a hard shell roof liner & pop up tent without the side or rear windows. Just throwing that out there to see if that type of soft top tend would be plausible. I guess a roof rack frame/body rail system could be used in this instance.

Seems like it already exists, the Maggiolina Airtop on an exo roof rack works with a soft top: http://forum.expeditionportal.com/t...rm-and-Gobi-Stealth-for-JKU-Adventure-Package!!

attachment.php

rubicon91

Explorer
It'll be worth the wait.

I do think it will be.

Hang in there! Once it is on, you will forget about all the waiting. Fingers crossed 🤞

Thank you Justin! I have enjoyed following on IG the pics as well as some videos I catch you in.

When you see the craftsmanship and attention to detail you will be glad they didn't hurry the job.
Don't forget they are a small shop building one at a time. Mine took longer than I hoped also, but,
it has proved to be one of the best purchases I have ever made.

I think my biggest issue is having to chase information and not getting a phone call when he says he is going to call. Good or bad just call me. It is not like I am spending $100 on something.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke