Does anyone know of any campers out there for a U1300L?

chickadee

Adventurer
Let me introduce myself...

My name is LeeWhay and my husband, Ryan and I, bought a 1990 U1300L with the hopes of outfitting it and traveling for 2+ years in varying climates.
We thought we had a camper solution, but it doesn't seem to be working out...

Does anyone have a line on existing boxes for sale by an individual or company? Home built is fine. Even if it's already on another Unimog, we are open to that.

We are already aware of these options:
- Atlas 4X4
- Total Composites (kit)
- Bliss Mobil
- GXV
- Bahn Camperworks
- XP Camper

Any assistance would be very appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
resized Unimog pic.jpg

Jostt

Adventurer
Hello, looking the options You keep in mind , many of theme are from Germany, so I Can imaginé for You should be not a problem to import It, so In Spain Is a company Ho build campers on customer vehicles , like is your case, they are cheaper than this companys, do You can check on internet, Uro Camper, good luck on your way

Darwin

Explorer
Have you checked with Aero Continental? I saw that they are doing a build on a Mercedes truck similar to yours. They have the added benefit of being located in Montana too.

Another option is "camperlogic" they are based in MN and have a build thread in the earthroamer and others etc. sub forum. I toured the factory and was pretty impressed and I know they do some custom work.
http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/154891-Xpedition-Camper-out-of-Minnesota/page22

edit:
looks like you are looking for an already made box and not having something built?

Last edited:
Whatevery you do make sure that whoever builds the box is well aware of the requirements for mounting a camper box on a Unimog, i.e. so-called "3 point" (actually diamond shaped 4 point) system.
You will want to relocate the spare tire and probably the exhaust to make room for gray water tank and/or extra fuel tanks, you seems to have a short wheelbase.

chickadee

Adventurer
Have you checked with Aero Continental? I saw that they are doing a build on a Mercedes truck similar to yours. They have the added benefit of being located in Montana too.

Another option is "camperlogic" they are based in MN and have a build thread in the earthroamer and others etc. sub forum. I toured the factory and was pretty impressed and I know they do some custom work.
http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/154891-Xpedition-Camper-out-of-Minnesota/page22

edit:
looks like you are looking for an already made box and not having something built?

Sadly we are the ones working with AeroContinental. I do not want to go into any details, but we are exploring our options. We are open to already made boxes, having something built, or buying a complete expedition rig and transplanting the box to our Unimog.

chickadee

Adventurer
Whatevery you do make sure that whoever builds the box is well aware of the requirements for mounting a camper box on a Unimog, i.e. so-called "3 point" (actually diamond shaped 4 point) system.
You will want to relocate the spare tire and probably the exhaust to make room for gray water tank and/or extra fuel tanks, you seems to have a short wheelbase.

Charlie, we have the Atlas 4x4 subframe so it will have the diamond system. We were hoping to keep the spare tire location as we want two spares. We already have an aux fuel tank and the larger fuel tank in the standard location.

Roverchef

Adventurer
KRUGXP.com is a really great one and they know Mogs well. I'd sell you the box off mine but it comes with the Mog. Good luck

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Bill Caid put an older Alaskan pop-up on the back of a U1300L. It was awesome.

img-4.jpg

LostInTheWorld

Builder/Traveler
Hi LeeWhay,
We are going with a habitat box from Total Composites. I guess, it depends on how much time you want to put into the box, but we decided that Total Composites was the best way for us to get exactly what we wanted in a layout. Andreas Schwall from Total Composites is super nice and helpful. If you want a finished box without doing any work on it yourself, this might not be the way to go for you, but our box was a reasonable price and lets us get exactly what we want. Our box is on it’s way now and should be here in the next month. The whole ordering process went very smoothly and fast.

I laid out our box for our U1300L 4 point sub-frame with mounting hard-points in the floor to mount to the sub-frame. I designed our box specifically for our planned trips and it is all custom panels, but it’s probably similar to what you are looking for. We will have a pass-through, permanent bed, shower, enclosed toilet, kitchen, and seating area. All the things that we wanted in a 11’5″ long, 7’2.5″ wide, 6’11″ tall box. Our windows, hatches, and doors will all be from Tern Overland.

One thing to think about is that U1300L are a bit power limited and like being light weight. In my opinion, a lot of the boxes out there that end up on U1300L look awesome but are a bit too heavy for the truck to perform well. I think lighter is better for these trucks.

You can check out more on our blog if you like:
https://wabisabioverland.com/

Michael

mog-side-view-small.jpg

print.jpg

total-composites-expedition-habitat-ready-to-ship.jpg

Jostt

Adventurer
Hi LeeWhay,
We are going with a habitat box from Total Composites. I guess, it depends on how much time you want to put into the box, but we decided that Total Composites was the best way for us to get exactly what we wanted in a layout. Andreas Schwall from Total Composites is super nice and helpful. If you want a finished box without doing any work on it yourself, this might not be the way to go for you, but our box was a reasonable price and lets us get exactly what we want. Our box is on it's way now and should be here in the next month. The whole ordering process went very smoothly and fast.

I laid out our box for our U1300L 4 point sub-frame with mounting hard-points in the floor to mount to the sub-frame. I designed our box specifically for our planned trips and it is all custom panels, but it's probably similar to what you are looking for. We will have a pass-through, permanent bed, shower, enclosed toilet, kitchen, and seating area. All the things that we wanted in a 11'5″ long, 7'2.5″ wide, 6'11″ tall box. Our windows, hatches, and doors will all be from Tern Overland.

One thing to think about is that U1300L are a bit power limited and like being light weight. In my opinion, a lot of the boxes out there that end up on U1300L look awesome but are a bit too heavy for the truck to perform well. I think lighter is better for these trucks.

You can check out more on our blog if you like:
https://wabisabioverland.com/

Michael

View attachment 434744

View attachment 434746

View attachment 434747

Very nice build...

snowcat

Hi, LeeWhay, There is a fellow that has been trying to sell a home-built camper on the Reno Craigslist that might adapt to your rig. The camper is clad in aluminum diamond plate, insulated and the interior is beautiful. It's made to fit in a pickup but with some added side boxes,might fit your Mog well. You would prolly have to fabricate a sub frame for three point connection. I will check for the add and if I find it, email you the link. We are still in Baja but will be back in Reno mid April and could help you with your project then. We sure enjoyed camping with you guys on Christmas Day, at AV. Sorry the current plan didn't work out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles