Dice...... The 1978 Jeep Wagoneer

DGarman

What could go wrong?
Got motivated to install new springs on Dice..... Son-In-Law Jason offered his Harley shop to do the work..... and offered to help.....
Dice had 3" Rough Country springs on him..... front and rear..... the stiffest, worst riding springs you can buy..... for any truck..... they've held that "honor" for 40 years.....
I rounded up some Rancho RS44044 front springs on Amazon...... and some stock height rear springs from BJ's Off Road..... the FSJ Guru.....
I knew these springs would drop the ride height..... but this is a "retro" build..... I wanted to use what you could get in 1978..... and start off at "ground zero" so to speak.....
I also knew these springs would ride WAY better than the Rough Countrys......

It was nice to work on concrete...... not dirt!

Stock height rear springs from BJ's Off Road..... along with some Rancho RS60612 Add-A-Leafs..... we decided not to install the A-A-Ls at this time..... maybe later.....

2-1/2" Rancho RS44044 springs..... these were actually "engineered" 40 years ago..... using terms like spring rate..... sprung weight..... unsprung weight..... ride frequency..... load height..... not just slapped together to provide X" of lift over stock.....

Left front spring installed...... no need to bore you with the 3 other photos.....

I love it when I pull a truck out of the shop..... and a wheel does not fall off.....

Dice rode like a dream the 35 miles back home..... the springs were actually flexing!...... on the 2 miles of bad road to the house..... I could go 20mph..... or more!..... way better than the 5mph with the Rough Country springs..... with me bouncing off the seat and hitting the roof.....

Dice sits pretty much level now...... but I am going to install the add-a-leaf in the rear..... with camping gear...... expresso machine..... disco ball..... snow cone maker..... and other necessities...... he'll need some extra spring rate and ride height.....

DGarman

What could go wrong?
New farkle for Dice..... a real air cleaner from K&N.....
Dice still had the stock air cleaner..... with the big Snuffleupagus snout on the side......

Now..... FSJs have a low hood height...... couldn't just throw on a 4" K&N like on my other trucks..... it would "boink" up the hood.....
Took some measurements...... figured a 2-1/4" X 14" would fit fine with extra clearance.....

Success!...... no "hood boinking"!...... it looks good..... and it's period correct.....

On a serious note........ decided to do a test flight on the new 8-Track player..... a 1973 Boman Astrosonix.....
Had a handful of tapes to try out.....

Charged up the Micro Start for a power source..... twisted some wires together..... no smoke came out......
All that came out was pure Hi-Fidelity goodness!..... all the buttons and dials worked as designed..... I especially liked the "Kachunk!" as the tapes engaged.....

Spent the afternoon enjoying the peak of recording technology in 1973...... and reliving lots of high school memories!

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
Collection is coming along nicely. I'm not saying you have to find an 8 Track copy of CW McCall's Black Bear Pass, but yes, you have to! :victory:
cwmccall-jeepenthusiast_630.jpg

R-3486657-1382299182-7625.jpeg.jpg

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagoneer
Looks like you're making some nice progress! I really don't care for my ride on the lift springs, beats the heck out of me.

DGarman

What could go wrong?
Collection is coming along nicely. I'm not saying you have to find an 8 Track copy of CW McCall's Black Bear Pass, but yes, you have to! :victory:
cwmccall-jeepenthusiast_630.jpg

R-3486657-1382299182-7625.jpeg.jpg
Breaker, Breaker for Dirt Sunrise!
Definitely on the list!
I did just order a copy of the Amazing Rhythm Aces' "Stacked Deck"..... mostly for the song "Third Rate Romance".....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTT-Jmi1nOc

Thanks!..... I think so too!

Looks like you're making some nice progress! I really don't care for my ride on the lift springs, beats the heck out of me.
Thanks Doc! The Rough Country springs are a cruel joke played on FSJ owners!
The Rancho fronts and new stock rear springs both work and look great...... although I will add Rancho add-a-leafs to the rear to handle camping gear and such.

Haven't done a whole lot on Dice lately....... just enjoying a "project" that I can daily drive!
I do have boxes of stuff to get installed....... and I need to start on the storage in the back..... but right now no repairs are on the "ASAP" list.....

Dice did get a nice gift from AZ MVD on Arizona's 106th birthday on Valentine's Day......

Weeds

Adventurer
You might try Hellwig overload springs instead of add-a-leaf. A little more money, but better ride. I had them on a 78' with KYB shocks.

DGarman

What could go wrong?
You might try Hellwig overload springs instead of add-a-leaf. A little more money, but better ride. I had them on a 78' with KYB shocks.

That's interesting...... I don't have any experience with them..... I'll check them out.
Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles