UJOR Build Thread

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
I think there is a lot of misunderstanding going on here. I dont think there is any ill intent on what Chris is doing with MG's brackets, and they both sell them for the same exact price. MG is probably quite happy when he can sell brackets to Chris, make money and not have to deal with a customers phone call.. not to say he doesnt want/like to deal with customers, but as someone that has been involved in a 2 man shop, customer service can take up a lot of time.

Bought my coil kit from Chris in April, and I knew the entire time I couldve bought the brackets from MG, but felt like Chris had more information out there/products available on the "finished" conversion. I used the term finished in parenthesis because I still have a few issues that I need to resolve.

So far I have about 6000 miles on the conversion. Every single part on the front axle had replaced. Havent seen a DW yet, although do feel the turning can feel "slow", but that may just be the steering box.

I have looked at going aftermarket radius arms, something adjustable to account for proper caster. Its only the cost of them which has kept me from doing that. After mounting the factory modified radius arms I can see how much bind they may have during flex. One item I really want before this summers trip to Colorado is a detachable sway bar end link, hoping that may give me a little more flex than I have now without spending too much money.

So, on to one of my unfinished issues with the conversion, Which wheel speed sensors am I supposed to be using for the front axle? Tried using the factory 2005 axle hub bearing sensors, but no luck, the module just wont recognize them. Should I be using the factory sensors for my 2006 E350?

Exactly, you "get" it, thanks. MG decided to sever ties with UJ so we'll be revamping the coil conversion market soon. I didn't like the pricing anyway. More info next week.

Try the older 02-04 sensors but measure before install because they're a bit taller. We've used a thin piece of aluminum as a spacer to raise it up and avoid contact between the sensor and the tone ring inside the bearing. What did we use? Piece of a beer can. Worked perfectly!

Anyone ever had a clearance issue with transfer case or other components when converting a "drop floor" van like found in a lot of wheelchair van applications?

I'm thinking I finally found the van I want and am hoping to secure ownership this coming week. I have already picked up an 05 Super Duty for a parts donor.

Thanks for the input.

Hit & miss. We had some clear, some had to be cut. Won't know until you're ready to start bolting up parts, they all seem to be different.

another_mike

Adventurer
Exactly, you "get" it, thanks. MG decided to sever ties with UJ so we'll be revamping the coil conversion market soon. I didn't like the pricing anyway. More info next week.

Try the older 02-04 sensors but measure before install because they're a bit taller. We've used a thin piece of aluminum as a spacer to raise it up and avoid contact between the sensor and the tone ring inside the bearing. What did we use? Piece of a beer can. Worked perfectly!.

well, guess there has been some stuff going on that I havent heard about. Its too bad, seemed the relationship was a win for all.

When you say 02-04 sensors, do you mean from an F-series or E-Series?

Osprey!

Observer
Beer can. Straight from Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. Well done.

Chris, how's the lead time for in-shop conversions these days? Hypothetically speaking...

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
well, guess there has been some stuff going on that I havent heard about. Its too bad, seemed the relationship was a win for all.

When you say 02-04 sensors, do you mean from an F-series or E-Series?

F series, truck stuff.

Beer can. Straight from Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. Well done.

Chris, how's the lead time for in-shop conversions these days? Hypothetically speaking...

Ha, true. We're roughly 10-12 weeks out right now then need the van for 2-3.

YES. I was reading this saying to myself "I hope he says beer can, I hope he says beer can"

Wish41

It would be helpful to understand the fallout between MG and Ujoint, but understand if nobody is willing to share. Perhaps MG is just focused on Transit 4x4 at the moment?

On another note, Chris you had mentioned to me previously on my 2012 E350 Extended (with SMB interior) that you'd go leaf conversion. Will your new coil setup change thinking on whether it is suitable for "heavier" rigs?

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
It would be helpful to understand the fallout between MG and Ujoint, but understand if nobody is willing to share. Perhaps MG is just focused on Transit 4x4 at the moment?

On another note, Chris you had mentioned to me previously on my 2012 E350 Extended (with SMB interior) that you'd go leaf conversion. Will your new coil setup change thinking on whether it is suitable for "heavier" rigs?

Nothing to hide, I've been selling the MG coil kit for a few years. It worked out well for both parties, I didn't want to spend the time creating our own kit and he had a good design ready to go that we could both sell. I've never been happy with the steering feel (nothing to do with MG) and have had at least 3 customers develop DW within 6 months of converting. Others also reached out to me for help. So, one of my customer rigs came here for a fix, I decided to change the steering to a crossover style with a new lower trac bar mount to get the angles nice & flat and less stressed. We did that (pics in a previous post), MG took offense that I didn't consult him and he decided to sever the relationship. The only thing we have changed on any of the MG pieces is the upper trac bar hole, we opened it up to 7/8 to fit a larger heim joint.

As soon as we get more miles on this test rig we'll revamp the coil conversion to include the upgrades. Cost wise it works out well, eliminating the carli trac bar saves a bunch of $$, no more reamed pitman arms, less dependency on steering stabilizers, no need for the drag link extension.

I would still recommend the leaf swap for a SMB or full camper van/heavy rig.

RVflyfish

Fishing is life. The rest is details.
MG took offense that I didn't consult him

Hmmm. If I were him I would have taken offense, though not at that. In any case I find it very telling MG is keeping his head down and his mouth shut on this. The high road comes to mind.

rex_1_mn

Observer
Let’s get back to vans. It’s too bad chris and MG aren’t working together anymore but let’s face it they are competitors in a free market. Wasn’t going to last forever.

Alot of what chris is responding to is questions and pressure from everyone. He has remained completely professional and stuck to the facts. His openness and transparency is not something you find anywhere.

UJOR has always had the most helpful customer oriented tone that I have ever seen. From what I have seen MG is the same.

Now that UJOR has been kind enough to let us all know whats going on on his side let’s stop asking him for more detail on what happened. He has some problems with some kits he installed and he is trying to solve the issues. At least he isn’t telling people it’s not his problem call MG. Facts are facts customers have complained. This is without a doubt the best 4x4 van thread on the net let’s keep it that way.

UJOR and MG. Thank you for developing some awesome vans and van parts. Keep up the good work!

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Hmmm. If I were him I would have taken offense, though not at that. In any case I find it very telling MG is keeping his head down and his mouth shut on this. The high road comes to mind.

Keeping things hush hush and secret only leads to false info and speculation. I'd rather put it out there, we're all big boys and business is business.

Let’s get back to vans. It’s too bad chris and MG aren’t working together anymore but let’s face it they are competitors in a free market. Wasn’t going to last forever.

Alot of what chris is responding to is questions and pressure from everyone. He has remained completely professional and stuck to the facts. His openness and transparency is not something you find anywhere.

UJOR has always had the most helpful customer oriented tone that I have ever seen. From what I have seen MG is the same.

Now that UJOR has been kind enough to let us all know whats going on on his side let’s stop asking him for more detail on what happened. He has some problems with some kits he installed and he is trying to solve the issues. At least he isn’t telling people it’s not his problem call MG. Facts are facts customers have complained. This is without a doubt the best 4x4 van thread on the net let’s keep it that way.

UJOR and MG. Thank you for developing some awesome vans and van parts. Keep up the good work!

Agree, thanks. I don't plan to discuss it after this post. The issues that I have with the coil kit have nothing to do with MG and his brackets. There are plenty of guys rolling around perfectly happy, all of this stuff is subjective. I'm changing the steering and trac bar to make it perform the way I want it to. Back to regularly scheduled 4x4van love, we have a few rigs to get done this week!

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
The 5.4 partial swap we did last month is back to complete the conversion and add some other goodies

28379645_1845487142137172_7326180384563770293_n.jpg

Fresh 271s ready for UJ prep and install

28165187_1841448055874414_1063801299162096880_o.jpg

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
FL 5.4 is back from alignment and ready for road miles. Aluminess R bumper too, was damaged in freight so I had to send it for a re coat.

28277259_1845733565445863_4001497859323049582_n.jpg

Oldcarnut

Adventurer
Couple questions for you Chris.
What's the differences between a Stage 1 and Stage 2 front end if no regearing is required and no locker is used and what do you do about the rear sway bar on your lifts?

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Couple questions for you Chris.
What's the differences between a Stage 1 and Stage 2 front end if no regearing is required and no locker is used and what do you do about the rear sway bar on your lifts?

Our Stage1 axle is 3.73 gears and the stock open diff. Stage2 gets you a gear change and the Detroit True Trac. We only re use rear sway bars on the RVs and ambos/buses like yours, we cut and sleeve the rear links to make them longer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online