Nature’s Head dealer

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Anyone on the forum a dealer?

The decision has been made to buy one but I would rather support one of our own than if possible.

pennersm

Observer
Oz, I am sure you have researched this to death, but I have been told that the nature's head is not a great choice in a wet bath due to having no seals around the lid allowing moisture to affect it. I was pointed towards the Air Head Composting Toilet, because it has extra seals, and you don't have to expose the solid waste area to drain the liquid waste.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
I did a lot of research and it is a tossup which one to go with. Eventually have 2 people who use them for the same purpose as I will and both recommend their Natures Heads I will go that way. If I have to put a condos of some sort over it when using the shower I will.

OCD Overland

Explorer
lol, true. The Air Head does look like a nice alternative though - I wasn't aware of them when we got ours.

I should say also that I was never able to get the right mix with coco coir and it always seemed too wet and made the handle hard to turn. We ended up switching to peat, which is much easier and seems to remain the right consistency.

Speaking of the handle, ours came with the spider handle and I wish we had the standard one.

Joe917

Explorer
For use in the wet room I drilled 2 small holes in the corners of the box lip outside of the weather stripping. This will allow any shower water to drain outside the container. Also drill some large drain holes in the urine container-holder base.

Mattersnots

Adventurer
I've now used both the natures head and airhead brands. I prefer the natures head and definitely like the peat moss better. Both toilets have a hard time mixing all of the compost. They leave a good 25% of it untouched and compressed on the bottom. I thought the airhead would be better because of the crank design but I think it's worse. Ozrockrat, I'm buying one this week for the new camper. Maybe we can get a deal on two? Following to see if you come up with a vendor.

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Since I ALWAYS chime in on these threads ...

We have now completed several trips with a Thetford cassette and are simply weeping because our truck does not have the space to rip out the cassette and reinstall the Natures's Head!

The cassette requires more work and chemicals to remain odor free and while you could dump it in a rest stop toilet, the stench would make you VERY unpopular. :-(

As Joe917 noted, the Nature's Head is fine in a wet bath as long as the seals are intact - not hard to do. I drilled the same holes that he did.

It is certainly true that about 25% of the drying medium is not stirred by the agitator - round agitator, square box, this does not really limit the toilet. Two people are still going to get two to four weeks between dumps. And the urine bottle is easy to dump at a rest stop. ;-)

WAY to much misinformation around. Listen to the folk who actually have one.

Final shill: Larry, the owner of Nature's Head answers e-mails and really wants you to be happy with his product.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
We ended up talking to Larry the owner of Nature’s Head and ordering directly from there. Since they all seem to be drop shipped from the factory anyway. Nice guy to talk to and interested in what we are fitting them in.

rossvtaylor

Adventurer
Good morning, Oz! We'll be able to compare at Expo, since we have an AirHead marine-sized toilet on the way. I'll let you know what we think, after putting it to use for a bit.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
I'll let you know what we think, after putting it to use for a bit.

Funny you mention “putting it to use”. Since I am traveling at the moment I did suggest to the missus that she use it for the next week or so and test it out. The reply I got was not repeatable on an open forum but it translates to “no”

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier