Expedition Vehicle selection thoughts?

Zybane

A lot of those wide beamed "Tupperware" boats are not ocean worthy. This is a whole different discussion though!

I'll admit I don't know much about sailing, never got the appeal of being in the middle of the ocean with the sun beating down on you. Thought it was interesting within the realm of "marine components".

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
It's funny, my friend has been trying to get me to get a sailboat and sail around the world with him (biggest problem is I don't like the ocean). He says for optioned ATW/EC money, one could buy a 24,000 lb 46 foot sailboat new. Kinda puts things into perspective!

hr5-1310-nb-jea.jpg

Quite the deal, if it included the Helmsperson :^)

waveslider

Outdoorsman
But of course. ;)

I've been researching insurance for ~$300K expedition vehicles. To say the least, it is quite a significant cost unfortunately.

WE are going to have to renew with someone new soon. Could you share roughly what kinds of rates are you seeing (and with whom?)

$442/yr for liability only, $500k policy limits. Wish they would offer higher policy limit. Progressive, referred to them by USAA

waveslider

Outdoorsman
Thanks Charlie. So that's Liability only - meaning no loss replacement/repair coverage? (Not meaning to hijack the thread here, but feels relevant to the OP)

Zybane

No, it is definitely relevant. Cheapest I've found for $330K expedition vehicle with that amount of comprehensive and collision plus liability with a perfect driving record and excellent credit is $5K/year if paid lump sum. Progressive office via USAA.

I don't see how you could go without comprehensive, a tree could fall on your expedition vehicle and literally do hundreds of thousands worth of damage. Or stolen..

Thanks Charlie. So that's Liability only - meaning no loss replacement/repair coverage? (Not meaning to hijack the thread here, but feels relevant to the OP)
It is $422/yr, no comprehensive
How could I "not go without comprehensive" and go without collision, which is far more likely? It is called "self-insurance"

Zybane

Zybane, was that a full timing quote? (I'm assuming no)

Yes it was.

It is $422/yr, no comprehensive
How could I "not go without comprehensive" and go without collision, which is far more likely? It is called "self-insurance"

I'm just saying ******** happens and insurance exists for a reason. Trees falling, bridges in remote areas collapsing under you, rolling the vehicle, hail, tornadoes, lightnings strikes, fire, theft, flood, vandalism, heck even animals. It's a dangerous world out there. ;) I think if you are "self-insured" you also will take a much more conservative approach to exploration.

Since most of my "exploration" has been outside North America collision insurance is a moot and theoretical point only.
Or should a person not leave North America because of lack of collision and comprehensive insurance?

Zybane

Since most of my "exploration" has been outside North America collision insurance is a moot and theoretical point only.
Or should a person not leave North America because of lack of collision and comprehensive insurance?

Does comprehensive work anywhere in the world?

of course not
for that matter US/Canada liability doesn't either but liability is pretty much what you can buy at borders or from Euro-area ins. brokers. Who's going to pay ANY attention to an appraisal on my or your precious truck camper?

Zybane

Watching massive heavy 6x6 expedition campers in videos going over 3rd world wooden bridges always made me cringe. I guess you have to pay to play.

amazon-2.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier