1991 Mercedes Benz 1222A, located in California, USA, left-hand drive -- What is a Fair Price?

chrisfoster

I posted this in the for sale area, but I am putting it here as I want to follow the rules. I am putting this out there to see if there is an interest and to gauge a fair price. I am asking for two things: (1) if anyone is personally interested; and (2) for feedback on a fair price – high and low range. Please send me a personal message with this information. I am not looking for feedback of ‘what it has or does not have,’ I am simply interested in selling it if there is a fair price out there. I would rather sell it to an inmate on the portal – and I am also thinking of opening it up to eBay to expand the exposure. Thank you! Chris.
  • Mercedes Benz, 1991, 1222A
  • 4-Wheel Drive, Lockers on all Wheels
  • Less than 101,000 kilometers (62,000) verifiable, original miles.
  • White Color from the factory.
  • Rear Box Installed at factory when new – height at a bit over 6 feet, width 7.5 feet, length 15 feet (all approximate measures). It is mounted directly to the frame.
  • Rear door.
  • Heavy-duty under-the-truck custom ladder for the rear door entry.
  • Skylight on top.
  • Exterior of cab is aluminum.
  • Interior has siding installed since new.
  • Single owner. This was owned and operated by the German government for a mobile workshop for the railroad. Some of the original equipment is still inside, including the Bosch generator. It was taken care of very well and NOT a military vehicle. I searched for two years!
  • All service records from new in large binders with all details of service.
  • Spare keys.
  • All factory manuals and records.
  • Rear PTO winch factory installed from new.
  • Operable hydraulics (including in the cab handle) to operate a device on the front (I was going to use it for a motorcycle lift).
  • Cab in original condition.
  • No body damage and its never been crashed, repaired, etc.
  • High-quality pneumatic driver’s seat.
  • Automatic pneumatic snow chains – pretty cool!
  • All four tires in good condition with plenty of tread life.
  • Everything works and it drives perfectly. I do not know of anything that is not in working condition. I start it and drive it often to keep it all running and in good condition.
  • New batteries of high-quality and kept on a trickle charger.
I personally searched for over two years for a truck in this good of condition, with low mileage, without any rust, with a verifiable maintenance record. I imported this about two years ago with the intent of turning it into an adventure vehicle – it is the perfect platform in my opinion. I have simply lost the time to convert it myself – but I am certain it will make a good base for someone who has more time than me! It legally entered the country, cleared all required customs requirements, I have all the documents for importation, and is presently licensed in Montana as well as insured as a motorhome. It is parked in San Diego, California. I have included a few pictures to give you an idea. If you are seriously interested, please let me know if you need more details; you would like to look at it; or you would like additional pictures. I will update with a price once I get some feedback from this posting.

Please send me a personal message. Thanks, Chris (mailbox12726@gmail.com).

Sitec

Adventurer
Hi Chris.
Pics tell a thousand words. I have a 1222, so am curious to see yours. Hub reduction rear axle? Where are you based? UK, US, Aus or elsewhere? Cheers.

chrisfoster

I am out of town and will post lots of pictures in the next few days. I am located in San Diego, California USA. Can you advise me how to find out if it has hub reduction gearing. I know there is a website where one can search the VIN, but I have not been successful on location this.

Sitec

Adventurer
Hi Chris. If it has a hub reduction axle it will have a huge 'lump' in the middle of the rear dual wheels identical to this one, and a very slim diff. This truck pictured has Hub reduction front and back. If it's not hub reduction, it will have a smaller 'lump' in the center of the rear wheels, and prob have a small center cap.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 52

thebigblue

Adventurer
Currently a 1990 1222AF (4x4 and ex-firetruck) can be sourced for just above 10,000 EUR on mobile.de...

Joe917

Explorer
Not a fair comparison. The OPs vehicle is already imported into the US, this alone should add $15000 to a US sale. Firetrucks also look like a great deal at low mileage, they get really abused, cold starts, full throttle then left to idle for hours on end, just about the worst you can do to a diesel.

chrisfoster

Hi Chris. If it has a hub reduction axle it will have a huge 'lump' in the middle of the rear dual wheels identical to this one, and a very slim diff. This truck pictured has Hub reduction front and back. If it's not hub reduction, it will have a smaller 'lump' in the center of the rear wheels, and prob have a small center cap.
Great information, thanks!

chrisfoster

Currently a 1990 1222AF (4x4 and ex-firetruck) can be sourced for just above 10,000 EUR on mobile.de...
Thanks for this posting and this is a good discussion point - not to be defensive, but realistic. I have completed this process and have some first-hand knowledge. IF this was a comparable model (and I grown to know that military and fire trucks are used a bit more harsh as well as this not being the same year and there being some improvements), then you have to add the following: (1) flying there (perhaps multiple times and paying for flights, hotels, rental car, fuel, time, etc.) to check it out and make sure it is the truck you thought it was; (2) getting a mechanic to ensure that it is a good truck with nothing wrong with it (a new transmission or the like can be expensive); (3) arranging the transportation from the place you bought it to the shipping port (know that it will require a dealer plate, depending on the country); (4) engaging a freight company and paying the MANY fees associated with this process - in addition to the freight cost; (5) finding and paying for the customs/import broker; (6) paying the duty - currently 25% on a truck; (7) transporting it from the port to your home; (8) and then starting the process to register it with the DMV of where you live. I am sure I forgot a few parts of the process, but it may be much more complex then one believes (it WAS for me!).

chrisfoster

Not a fair comparison. The OPs vehicle is already imported into the US, this alone should add $15000 to a US sale. Firetrucks also look like a great deal at low mileage, they get really abused, cold starts, full throttle then left to idle for hours on end, just about the worst you can do to a diesel.
Joe917...thanks for this note...that fee is the really basic costs...it can cost a lot more. Finding the RIGHT truck, with perfect maintenance, was a real chore for me. Then the fun begins with importing -- see my notes on this.

chrisfoster

Keep the ideas coming please as I am interested in getting a fair value soon and putting up for sale in the next few weeks. I will get many more pictures and more details as suggested.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier