Key piece of gear for Bear Country.

john61ct

Adventurer
Old chestnut:

You are wise to take extra precautions and keep alert for bears while camping. It's a good idea to wear little bells on your clothing to make noise so you won't startle the bears as you walk up. It's also advisable to carry pepper spray with you to use in case of an encounter with a bear.

Watch out for fresh signs of recent bear activity and know how the different types of bears behave. You should become familiar with the difference between black bear and grizzly bear poop.

Black bear poop is smaller and contains a lot of berry seeds and squirrel fur. Grizzly bear poop has lots of little bells in it and smells a lot like pepper spray.

steelhd

Observer
And in bear country don't sleep next to, or over, your food and/or kitchen. The average black bear can peel open a car to get at a cookie. A griz can do it much faster. Those slick Aussie style adventure trailers are awesome for Australia and most of the US. But in some parts of the US they are just begging for an overly exciting night. :)

outdoornate65

Adventurer
Having spent some time in Alaska, I researched the bear spray vs large caliber handgun debate quite a bit.

While not as sexy as a big-ass .50/.44 cal hand cannon, it has been proven that bear spray is much more effective at stopping a charge/attack than a gun and provides a better outcome for both bear and human.

I carry both because I'm sexy and smart ;)

Last edited:

skip371

Observer
Also what brand spray and size. Sabre?? Gonna be in glacier/ and tetons in july/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

john61ct

Adventurer
Met a guy camping in Fiji from some small town in rural Alaska, talked about no one walking around outside without their shotgun handy, polar bears ripping apart garbage safes every night.

Huge slash scars ripped down his back and legs, the real deal.

Kyle Kelso

Adventurer
Yes. HAVING bear spray means nothing. Knowing how to use it and having it IMMEDIATELY ACCESSIBLE is crucial.

People actually spray themselves or around their camp like it's a repellant! Tough way to learn!

Bells are both useless and annoying. They need to know a HUMAN is approaching, so talk loud, laugh, sing, yell etc. If you are in a group it won't be so hard and if you are alone nobody will be there to see you looking crazy ;)

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Bravo30

Over the last three decades, Bartlebaugh has interviewed more than 300 people who have used bear spray following a close encounter with bruins. About 65 percent of those didn’t know the brand they were carrying or how far the can would spray or how long that spray would last.

i call this ''just get it'' culture. you see it with everything these days. nobody looks anything up they just get it and they're done. they got it. no research required. check off the box next to ''get bear spray'' same goes with everything else. oh, you need to get a flashlight for your trip? go to Wallmart an pick out the first one you see. there you go, you got it! done, next. everything is image today. its not about the part its about looking the part and getting that part as quickly as possible everything else is irrelevant and if it doen't work it doesn't matter because you didn't know what it was in the first place. just go out and get another one...

end rant..

skip371

Observer
What load in shotgun. Slugs?
12 gauge Mossy with 00.
UDAP #12 pepper spray. https://www.cabelas.com/product/UDAP-HP-Bear-Spray-with-Hip-Holster/741401.uts?slotId=2

I was cornered and harassed by a medium sized black bear sow and her two cubs one time. Florida stand-off, and all I had was a Bowie knife.
She never got closer than 10 feet from me but I'd prefer not to be in that situation again.

Some scary ********- in Ocala National
Forest we have stumbled on bears twice but fortunately nothing exciting. Came of it . Were going to be running the continental divide trail up-to canada from colorado in a 4x4 but making time for a daily hike as well. The bears up there seem much larger and occasionally much more aggressive than the bears in Florida or north Carolina, so trying to get prepared in the best way possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles