Partner stove mod.. piezo ignition

slowtwitch

Adventurer
That's brilliant! Does it work reliably? Done any cooking on it in the field yet?

So far it works 100%. I did it more for convenience than reliability.. another way to light it that is always with the stove instead of needing to dig for lighter, matches etc.
I've had good luck with piezo on camping gear..Coleman and Jet Boil... so so luck on grills, but it is dead simple.. usually just a cleaning and maybe adjusting the contact spacing and problem solved.

slowtwitch

Adventurer
This is the kit I bought:
http://www.acehardware.com/product/...07&cp=2568443.2568445.2598559.1304000.1260261
I actually bought two. The kit comes with two electrodes.. the metal rod housed in porcelain that the spark comes from.. one of the electrodes is as pictured in the photos..long and bent downward. The other electrode in the kit is short and stubby.. I could have made it work, but I liked the longer bent electrode, and I also wanted an extra length of the Nomex sheathing. I figured an extra piezo wasn't such a bad thing either.
If you do an image search for piezo igniter, a ton of stuff comes up.. the components in the kit I bought seem pretty ubiquitous and are sold in various configurations under a number of names. Point being, you may be able to find better/cheaper alternatives. Restaurant supply companies can be another source.
The parts I got lent themselves to easy installion.. the electrodes have metal mounting rings... a bit like a figure 8. So drill two holes as in the photos.. one for the electrode, one for the rivet per burner. Bend up an Al mounting bracket for the button, drill two mounting holes for the rivets as in photo. I then cut the wires shorter and shrink wrapped the joints, slid Nomex over, and done deal. I mounted the button so it is flush with the stove body when fully extended... cleaner, no breaking/snagging, etc. So 6 holes, 6 rivets, and a bent up piece of Al.

Scoutman

Explorer
Since these are mounted to the burners and the button is mounted to the stove frame, how are you able to remove the grate/burner assembly?

slowtwitch

Adventurer
There is enough wire to open up the grate and slide it off to side. If you want to fully remove it, the two wires have easily accessed push/pull slider connectors at piezo.piezo.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz