Advice Needed:: Tacoma owner considering a ZR2

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
The Taco is better. Period. Why? Because you already own it. It will take one hell of a lot of mileage improvement to cover the $13K cost of entry to the ZR2. And then there's the mods you have already done to the Taco that you would do again to the ZR2. And the GM reliability issues. The pure economics argue against making a change to the same kind of truck from a different manufacturer. If you are just horny for a new truck, fine. But a dispasssionate and rational analysis says you will be wasting money.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
So let me get this straight... your Taco is paid off, and you love it, but you’re willing to spend $10-13,000 to buy a diesel GM product with notable issues? Why not put that same money (over a much longer period) into fuel for the truck you already own and love?

Something seriously wrong here...

Dalko43

Explorer
The Taco is better. Period. Why? Because you already own it. It will take one hell of a lot of mileage improvement to cover the $13K cost of entry to the ZR2. And then there's the mods you have already done to the Taco that you would do again to the ZR2. And the GM reliability issues.

So let me get this straight... your Taco is paid off, and you love it, but you’re willing to spend $10-13,000 to buy a diesel GM product with notable issues? Why not put that same money (over a much longer period) into fuel for the truck you already own and love?

So I don't disagree with the financial argument both of you are making (paid off versus financing new truck).

But what are these "GM issues" you are talking about. I know that new platforms tend to have more problems versus older platforms. But I do think there is some brand bias being exhibited here. You both dislike GM's reliability "issues." There are plenty of people in the past who have had problems with Ford's, Nissan's, Ram's, and, heck, even Toyota's. I think most new trucks are fairly well made and reliable, regardless of the brand name stamped onto the body.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
But what are these "GM issues" you are talking about. I know that new platforms tend to have more problems versus older platforms. But I do think there is some brand bias being exhibited here. You both dislike GM's reliability "issues." .

I have no brand loyalty per-se. I have my favorite “niche” vehicles for sure. I’ve owned multiple GMs, Fords, Dodges, Toyotas and VWs. The issues I was mentioning were from other posts in this thread. The only recent GM I’ve driven is a ‘16 2500HD Dirtymax. I didn’t care for it a great deal, other than the Allison and Apple car play, but I would love some extended wheel time in the diesel Colorado. If the new Ranger comes out in a diesel, Toyota had better get their shiat together and bring some diesels into NA or they will be getting their asses handed to them!

Clutch

<---Pass

Something seriously wrong here...

It is the classic case of the "want-sees". I see it, I want it. The never ending march of consumerism, is what it is. Ooooh...look, shiny! ;) :D

I have it bad...love to look and look...thank goodness I never act on those impulses or I would go broke.

Unless a vehicle is wrecked or rusted out...never makes financial sense to buy a new one over what you already have. $10-13K buys an awful lot of fuel and gas station beef jerky.

Bubblegoose1

@PNWINFERNOPRO
It's funny to me how much value everyone is putting into a diesel in a mini truck. There is little to no advantage of diesel over gas in a small, non-towing truck. And, willing to pay a premium price point for it.

The Colorado diesel is a slug. You have to spend even more $$$$ to tune it and tap dance around the computer gremlins.

ExplorerTom

Explorer
It's funny to me how much value everyone is putting into a diesel in a mini truck. There is little to no advantage of diesel over gas in a small, non-towing truck. And, willing to pay a premium price point for it.

The Colorado diesel is a slug. You have to spend even more $$$$ to tune it and tap dance around the computer gremlins.

Exactly. I don't know why everyone is so goo-goo gah-gah over diesels. Even in a full size rig. In North America.

B

BPD53

Ha ha! I haven't heard that term in years!

Are those 4Runner wheels on it? Ain't that sacrilege or sumthin'? :D

Yep. 4Runner SR5 wheels are dirt cheap on eBay.

For the record...I really like Toyotas, but the stories that they are the only reliable trucks is stupid. Over at 355nation there are tons of guys with well over 200K on their Colorados.

B

BPD53

KBB.com
2010 Colorado very good condition 6k-8k
2010 Tacoma very good condition 10.5k-13.5k

Nobody cares......it's a Colorado. :giggle:

Very true.

I love surprising people on the trails though. The 1st Gen Colorado is the Rodney Dangerfield of trucks. No respect.

B

BPD53

Your truck looks good glad it has worked out for you. All manufactures need love.

Thanks.

All manufacturers do need love.

I just rebuilt and replaced the third member on my friends 4Runner. The ring gear exploded with no warning. He had 110K on the ticker at the time. NO off roading. I mean ZERO off road and it blew to pieces. He had changed the diff fluid as well.

Bottom line is that ALL vehicles can break but good maintenance can make most modern trucks last a long time.

Always remember that reliable can just be another word for neglected.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior