Explorer
Did some volunteering last weekend
7f1ed7ac10c08c2fb2ecb43b676a3c79.jpg

dd8970429c64451f57bff5f2cd67d901.jpg

b7aca9036b5af9be30eb8a4d9bfb9e7e.jpg

7f824f6f3442eed364978aff852c0edc.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SHoll

I am new to Expedition Portal (and overlanding in general).
I am fortunate enough to have the time, money, and energy to travel with my job saving me a position for when I return to work after the summer. My '05 Silverado is not quite up to the job yet but I have done numerous mechanical repairs and maintenance to it.

My hope is to make this a fun, safe, and reliable rig for my journey around the country. I have already ordered a Leer 100R cap and will build a bed in the back to sleep. I also plan to lift the truck and get new tires, add offroad lighting, and hit the road. So, here is a "before" picture if you will. I will post more as the truck comes together. A lot of people on this thread have some incredible trucks!

Screenshot (304).png

JPR4LFE

Adventurer
Thats what its all about, having a great camping trip with your kid.
Is that a heater attached to the bed rail?

I added another topper clamp a couple of inches away and then ran a Voile strap (this was actually a ‘titan strap’ that I got at my local hardware store, but same idea) around it and the clamps to secure it. It worked really well, the straps seem really durable and hold tight

ebf2d0c5a151520297a4fc02169c21c3.jpg

87f58547849b8d7a96a35914b3d9cb7b.jpg

Seabass

Idiot

I added another topper clamp a couple of inches away and then ran a Voile strap (this was actually a ‘titan strap’ that I got at my local hardware store, but same idea) around it and the clamps to secure it. It worked really well, the straps seem really durable and hold tight

Did you guys sleep while that heater was on? I've got a Heater Buddy that is just a bigger version of yours. I've read on different forums around the internets of people that say they have slept while using them. Then I read that they can kill you. I've only used mine while I was awake. Get everything toasty and then turn it off. But honestly- I don't really think the bed and shell are tight enough for any carbon monoxide to build up. And I always crack a window when burning too.

JPR4LFE

Adventurer

Did you guys sleep while that heater was on? I've got a Heater Buddy that is just a bigger version of yours. I've read on different forums around the internets of people that say they have slept while using them. Then I read that they can kill you. I've only used mine while I was awake. Get everything toasty and then turn it off. But honestly- I don't really think the bed and shell are tight enough for any carbon monoxide to build up. And I always crack a window when burning too.

We did not sleep with it on. The internet certainly has a number of different opinions of the subject, as with most things, I have read about 15 topics on the subject and they cover the whole spectrum. This one has some good safety features (tip over shut off, low oxygen shut off), but I like those as a last resort or piece of mind. Keeping a window cracked when they are operating is a must. For us, lots of blankets, good sleeping bags, winter hats at the ready. Turn it on before bed, turn it on if we step out for a pee break, and turn it on first thing in the AM. The ‘little buddy’ only has an on and an off switch, no dial, so it will roast you out of a fiberglass topper with a platform if kept on for a long time. That being said, it was awesome to have and made for an all around good experience. I backpack at 10,000 ft often so I am no stranger to tenting it in the cold, but with kids in tow it is pretty handy.

Crazy Schooner

Fortune's A Mistress
Looks good. Why paint it? If you do paint it, clean and de-grease it and use an etching primer or the paint won’t last long.
My truck is blacked out, so I don't want a big shiny rack out back. Also cost, but on that note I got a quote for $300cdn to get it powdercoated. So I might as well got that route.

Smileyshaun

Observer
took the tahoe up in the snow , got stuck , broke winch line twice , my shovel and the winch controller and made a mess of the road but made it back in one piece .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke