2012 LR4 Overland Project - Build Journal & Blog

treckin

LR3... which will also work in your LR4.. as well as the R&P from an LR3.

I have ARB Lockers front and rear.

I haven’t heard that before - I reached out to ARB R&D a while ago and they said they halted development of the LR4 rear locker due to lack of interest/market and the fact that most people that use their LR4s hard already have the factory locker.

I’m not sure why they’d develop an LR4 rear if the LR3 part fits?

Abran

Observer
Got the new “open diff” as advertised on eBay. Because they had pics of the vehicle vin plate I was able to use Topix to confirm they were selling the locking unit but didn’t know what they had.

Freaking eBay, order the locking unit, get the open diff, order the open diff, get the locker...

Spins nicely, not sure about internals, clutches, etc.

Also, I don’t think they shipped the connector, so I’ll have to source that too, damnit.

I might have the connector pigtails if you didn’t get them yet.

rlynch356

Defyota
LR3... which will also work in your LR4.. as well as the R&P from an LR3.

I have ARB Lockers front and rear.

I haven’t heard that before - I reached out to ARB R&D a while ago and they said they halted development of the LR4 rear locker due to lack of interest/market and the fact that most people that use their LR4s hard already have the factory locker.

I’m not sure why they’d develop an LR4 rear if the LR3 part fits?

So I have been told... the LR4 can use the lr3 R&P set to decrease the final drive ratio and the LR4 is just a development of the lr3.. I have an lr3 so cannot confirm of course. But I highly doubt they did much more than update the part number for the diffs when they switched over to LR4 production since it’s basically the same truck.

Worth a call to lucky8 they are selling complete 3rds for the lr3 with lockers installed.

treckin

Well, the ECU and locking motor are definitely different. Also I believe the LR3 has a 31 spline axle and the LR4 has a 29 spline axle.

http://www.4x4proyect.com/pdf/arb-parts-rd217.pdf

Its possible one could swap the LR3 non-locking rear carrier and rear hubs (31 spline) to an LR4 and then install the RD218 LR3 rear air locking kit. Assuming the hubs bolt up properly, Id be very interested in the geometry of the diff carriers to see that they're the same.

A laser scanner and software like Geomagic Design X which can take multiple STL scan files, orient, align, and analyze for mechanical similarity:

Dx 6.jpg

Essentially you can take two scans, or CAD and a scan, over lay them, and it will show you the mechanical differences. Red means the candidate surface is too proud or high compared to the reference, blue means the surface is too shy or low compared to the reference.

You can also just extract geometry from the mesh and then compare coordinates with measuring, like so:
maxresdefault.jpg

Also, here's some more shots of the locking rear, after a small amount of cleaning the rat ******** and piss off of it:

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_137e.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_137d.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1380.jpg

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-05-12 at 11.10.34 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-05-12 at 11.10.34 AM.png
    24.3 KB · Views: 35

Abran

Observer
I’m sorry, got busy. Left for overland expo already.

I know I have them, just need to put my hands on them. Our shop is pretty organized so I’m going to say that it’s a 95% chance they are available.

Shoot me an email reminder next week.

Abran.carrs4x4@gmail.com

treckin

Quick update:

Im going on an overland trip next weekend to Klamath or Lassen near the Cali-Oregon border. I bought a crap-ton of camping/glamping/overlanding stuff. Some has arrived, everything else is in transit to me.

Vehicle Side:

Jerry Can and Front Runner mount

45L water storage tank and mounting system for Front runner racks

Drawer dividers for Frontrunner drawer system

Adjustable cargo chalks for Wolfpacks etc

Propane bottle holder

Stratchits - stretchy ratchet straps

Stainless Steele Camping Table and Front Runner sliding roof rack mount

Front Runner rack hanging shower arm

Low profile Spare tire mount for Front Runner slimline roofrack

Goal Zero Yeti 400 Lithium power box & AC inverter

Goal Zero 100 Briefcase solar panel

Land Rover Front and Rear lamp guards

HD rear hitch tow shackle

Master lock locking 5/8" hitch pin

Hitch silencer pad

Spare tire cover

Land Rover center caps for wheels (currently mine say Range Rover??)

Land Rover tire valve caps

Camping Gear:

Camp Chef dual burner stove & adapter for disposable fuel bottles & carrying case & reversible griddle

Camp Chef over-pit grill

Hanging solar shower

Baofeng UHF/VHF radio & 15.6" Nagoya antenna & carrying case

Large french press coffee maker & portable coffee grinder

Picnic tableware and flatware backpack set

6" thick trifolding queen size memory foam matress & carrying case

Portable outdoor kitchen by Coleman

Dog tie-out and cable

Large packs for gear and clothes, matching trauma and bleeding EMT medkit

REI Kingdom 4 Tent, Garage, and footprint

Rumpl Fleece Blanket, 2-person + throw blanket + 2x pillow cases

I also have updates on the rear-differential conversion mod, but still haven't begun the swap. I found the ECU connectors on Mouser, as well as terminals. I spent a good 48 hours trying to find the round 10 pin connector - finally found the manufacturer. Its a Leopold Kostal part, Ill post the part number later. I cant find anyone that carries it off the shelf (one place in Croatia did have it I think...). I also found out that BMW uses almost the same part number on motorcycles for diagnostic connectors. They're $20 on Amazon.

I bought one and Ill attempt to tear it down and solder leads to it. Im a little concerned that the contacts included in the OBDII adapter arent rated for high power (differential motor leads). The signal wires would be fine.

I also think I found the Delphi part number for the differential temp sensor - its on order and I'll update this post when it comes in.

Getting the differential rebuilt is next - Im having trouble finding someone to do it locally. Apparently no one wants to get involved lol. DifferentialsUS on facebook doesn't service them anymore, but they do sell the rebuild kit.

Anywho, tomorrow Im going to spend some time trying to fit the 32" spare under the car, trimming down some of the areas in the front wheel wells that rub at turning lock, and fabricating a custom air dam for the roof rack (sucker is LOUD).

ar4me

Adventurer
That is a ton of stuff - don't want to see next months CC bill... ;) Why mount spare under the car when you bought the spare tire roof mount?

treckin

That is a ton of stuff - don't want to see next months CC bill... ;) Why mount spare under the car when you bought the spare tire roof mount?

Hahaha PayPal Credit to the rescue ?

I got the roof rack spare carrier in case a) I can’t fit the 32” tire under the car b) once I have the rear armor and tire carrier, for longer trips like doing Baja California Sur Id like to take two spare tires, one on the rear and one on the roof rack.

krick3tt

Adventurer
To save weight you could take just the tire and not have it mounted on a rim.
Like the idea of a coffee grinder, how are you going to power it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke