Smittybilt Scout Trailer Reviews?

honda250xtitan

Well just my luck Sixity is out of stock of the 2" adapters and it could be weeks before they get more in. So I went ahead and got some from wheeladaptersusa that are T6 anodized aerospace grade aluminum and forged. They were a little more expensive but they had a 10% off promotion going on at least. Thanks for you guys' input, it is much appreciated. I have not used spacers at all before but definitely want the ability to share wheels and tires between my truck and trailer.

Once I get the wheel adapter situation figured out and get the trailer home I'll be getting busy with mods thanks to all of the great ideas on this thread. I have already purchased a Smittybilt generator and a blue top Optima D34M that I will be picking up with the trailer to get started. My plans are to:

make sure you follow the instructions. BORA and Spidertrax both recommend loctite, torque wrench ONLY, and rechecking after the first xxx miles. common sense stuff but you'd be surprised at all the failure due to improper install.

mspenc45

Electrical complete for the most part. Zip ties holding the cables aren’t tight yet just in case I run into any bugs. The ammo can idea worked okay but I’m going to pursue a better fix later this year. Preferably some space back by elevating the components.
Utilized some left over track to give some flexibility for holding down some gas cans etc....

I also noticed there is a ton of space beneath the drawers. I originally was sticking the tent rods under there but this might be a good place to mount my axe and hatchet.

Great Idea for the ax, rifle, etc storage!

mspenc45

Electrical system, keeping it simple, but functional is my goal. Small, 35AH 12V gel Cell from Mighty Max, 100W folding panel from Renogy, 15A MPPT charge controller from Victron (includes a really nice phone app and Bluetooth connectivity), switches incorporated into the lid structure of the front box for all lighting and power outlets. I was worried that the 35AM battery might be too small, and perhaps it will be , but in my testing, my Engel 40QT fridge/freezer runs for nearly 20 hours on a full charge, and the 100W panel is able to charge the battery to 100% in about 4 hours of AZ sun, while also powering the Engel! If I head out of state, or have less sun, I might add a second 35AH, or replace it with a 100AH. Also, my charge controller, and fusing is all incorporated into the battery box. I used test instrument banana plugs for my panel connection to the trailer. The system easily powers my inside LED strip lighting, 2.6A, Engel, 2.4A @10%Duty Cycle, USB charging station, and additional 12 volt outlet. No plans for 110 V at this time since a simple plug in inverter will power anything I need there.

1528144008194.png1528144054152.png1528144097372.png1528144172055.png1528144254661.png1528144584453.png

Badlands

The American West
I looked at buying one for my Jeep Wrangler TJ, but it's bigger than the Jeep and there is no way my Jeep Rubicon would haul that thing fully loaded, especially in an off road environment, so I opted for a M416 Military trailer.

Attachments

• 00A0A_6LBtMMFEG2x_600x450.jpg
    00A0A_6LBtMMFEG2x_600x450.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 69

Bootboiler

I looked at buying one for my Jeep Wrangler TJ, but it's bigger than the Jeep and there is no way my Jeep Rubicon would haul that thing fully loaded, especially in an off road environment, so I opted for a M416 Military trailer.

Is the Smitty Built really heavier than that 416?

velosurreal

Are any of towing the Scout with a Wrangler? What are you doing about the difference in hitch height? The coupler on the trailer measures 8" higher than the receiver on my JLU. The riser drawbar I have interferes with the 33" spare on tailgate. I was planning to put something on trailer side to drop it down like this.

Photos online seem to show Wranglers towing the trailer level, with only a straight bar. Am I missing something?

Last edited:

john61ct

Adventurer
Link doesn't work.

Put an adjustable hitch mount on the A frame.

Adapters on the vehicle side reduce weight capacity.

mspenc45

Started down that path, and weight is one of the reasons I am taking the Scout from a minimalist, keep it simple approach. It's a real challenge to find a 416 in good condition to start a project with, certainly functional and well proven, but i do like all the storage functionality of the Scout. We'll see how she pulls off road, on the road, she's certainly there, but not a problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior