'96 E350 barn door magnet holder?

Rune

Hey y'all

I have barn doors on my '96 E350 and like how the main door catches and holds open, but then 2nd door doesn't do that, it just swings free. Has anyone figured out a good latch/catch mechsnism for this second door? I was almost thinking the magnetic holders like on the rear doors on the Transit van would be perfect. Anyone do this mod?

Sean

Raul

Adventurer
I’ve been using a bungee cord between the handle and the fender. There is a user from here or from Sportmobile forums that sells a door-talon quite neat piece.

rontaki

Observer
With magnets from a hard drive (the larger drives have bigger magnets), and some creativity, you should be able to craft a nice door holder.
One thing to keep in mind is to cushion the magnet surface so the steel does not crash against it. Bad for the door and the magnet. Some thick tape might work for that.
Use whatever you have at hand and see what you come up with!

Rune

I’ve been using a bungee cord between the handle and the fender. There is a user from here or from Sportmobile forums that sells a door-talon quite neat piece.

This sounds promising. Anyone have more details on this?

Corneilius

Adventurer
Some are real tight, some are loose...we call it a "Van Mystery". Ive turned a lot of people onto Door Talon-esque products. The 1der talon is super well made and comes with nice hardware. But even if you notch some aluminum from Lowes it'll be way nicer than a floppy door. Ditching the bungee cord makes it a super easy 1 step process.

gmtech

Observer
i dunno my 9-10 inch bunggie was like 89c and is pretty quick!. I even heat shrinked the hooks so they don't scratch the paint!

Reactions: WVI

shenrie

^^^ hates cars
I have a talon and it’s awesome. Just don’t really use it much now that my hinge got all stiffy. It is starting to loosen up though. So can’t get rid of it. Glad to see I’m not the only one with van mysteries, lol.

I still use a bungee to hold the 60 door open all the way still. Can’t have the door obstructing my views ;)

Mmm pie

Observer
About 5 bucks:
Turnbuckle
Left over bolt and nut
A furniture felt pad
Heat shrink

2j466wj.jpg

r2ow01.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members