2c22cce4008514149d84ed47f217991f.jpg

Fumoto...seriously, a worthwhile mod.
(135k oil change, BTW)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jrose609

Explorer

Ray_G

Explorer
Fumoto F316L FL-Series Engine Oil Drain Valve, 1 Pack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013KW2WTQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_ycGqBb713DER0

Fumoto drain valve. Instead of hot oil flying out horizontally as you try to retain the plug now you just flick the lever and the oil drains straight down.

Wish I had done it as soon as I got the truck.
R-
Ray

Damn. I need one of those.

Edit: I just ORDERED one of those. Thanks, Ray

Good stuff. Seriously, a mod I wish I’d done at 80k miles when I bought her.

Ian_Barry

Observer
Fumoto mod is the best mod.

Every vehicle I own from now until the end of time will have one (unless I uncover some sort of superior valve - I'm open minded).

Mine's on the shelf awaiting those last thousand miles before the next oil change! They were out of stock for quite a while on Amazon but I found one on FleaBay and snatched it up a while back.

I've had them on all my vehicles too. The best part about this is it protected under the skid plate so there is never really a concern about breaking it off like I had on some other vehicles in the past.

Looks like Amazon has them again, better get them while they are hot! Super awesome mod!

Ray_G

Explorer
Previously I covered the install of a Midland MXT-115 GMRS radio. I installed it in the upper glove box and put an external speaker above that akin to where G4 spec Disco 3’s has theirs. The mic was extended to sit down in the console. This was a good radio but basically a placeholder till the MXT-275 came out.

Like the 115 it has 15w of power, but in this edition the controls are on the mic itself. A good analog would be the Cobra WX ST75 CB, except I’m much fonder of the performance of GMRS than CB.
c476a6a1adb70f45fe983826b9ecef8b.jpg

Preorder started a little while back, orders shipped and mine arrived today.
f9fdfbb400339085ef1baf34aee91ae3.jpg

Radio is the same size as the 115, using the same mounting base and having the same power connection, external speaker, and antenna port.
ae4f87fca5a48d3bf93db282345f2a80.jpg

One difference is the 275 uses RJ45 vice RJ12 (6 pin) so for those extending its worth getting an extension.
c55ac51abb04c82ee1e037a5054d34b0.jpg

Given the shared mount and connections, install was simple but for rerouting the extension now with RJ45
6d304b4d4c7668b78a92af7fd85bcc26.jpg

Tucked this up under the trim so only the black cord shows as it runs along the center console.
55d294fd8efbff4ad01cc9eb2adff06d.jpg

I removed the mic holder from the back of the handset to make it a little more compact. All told exactly what I wanted and a great option for good on trail comms with good range, clarity, and simple/reliable form factor. Midland has done really well with the micromobile mxt series in my opinion.

Ray_G

Explorer
Sweet set up! Any problems getting the head unit in the place where the old one was installed?

None at all. Base is the same, I just left the 115’s base in place and snapped the 275 in it. Other than running an RJ45 extension to replace the RJ12 from the 115 it took about 5 min.

Jwestpro

Explorer
Ray, what is up with those lr3 seats????? I see contrast piping..... I've long wished the lr3 had interior choices like the prior discos. The DII with tan leather and black carpet, piping, always looks slick but I love the most my 2004 which has the Aspen interior and Vienna green paint. That interior is soooooo nice IMO. Scheme is: very light/sage green seating leather and soft/suede door inserts and similarly light sage headliner/pillars. Piping in dark green as well as carpet and dash.

My lr3 never got seat covers. Wish I had thought of that waaaaaaay back in 2007. I wasn't aware of Melvill & Moon but that's what I wish had gone in 11 yrs ago. Anyway, what to do now, the back seats are 99% new condition LOL but front are very well worn. For summer I've actually considered those cabbie style wood bead seat covers ;) but honestly, the sheepskin I put in the D1 10 yrs ago are pretty nice in summer and obviously nice in winter. Got those from Atlantic British back then when I was hemorrhaging cash ;) Too bad I didn't put same cash into FANG stocks options or even the indexes post market crash.

Ray_G

Explorer
Ray, what is up with those lr3 seats????? I see contrast piping..... I've long wished the lr3 had interior choices like the prior discos. The DII with tan leather and black carpet, piping, always looks slick but I love the most my 2004 which has the Aspen interior and Vienna green paint. That interior is soooooo nice IMO. Scheme is: very light/sage green seating leather and soft/suede door inserts and similarly light sage headliner/pillars. Piping in dark green as well as carpet and dash.

My lr3 never got seat covers. Wish I had thought of that waaaaaaay back in 2007. I wasn't aware of Melvill & Moon but that's what I wish had gone in 11 yrs ago. Anyway, what to do now, the back seats are 99% new condition LOL but front are very well worn. For summer I've actually considered those cabbie style wood bead seat covers ;) but honestly, the sheepskin I put in the D1 10 yrs ago are pretty nice in summer and obviously nice in winter. Got those from Atlantic British back then when I was hemorrhaging cash ;) Too bad I didn't put same cash into FANG stocks options or even the indexes post market crash.

Wet okle; bc exactly as you said-the option to have piping really sets off the interior well. I love these seat covers.

I have Kexby (now Knightsbridge) in my D1 and the canvas is nice but for a DD that I want to be both functional and nice the neoprene works really well.

Jwestpro

Explorer
thx. I have looked into that brand and determined i liked the materials and whatever about M&M better ... .However, do you think canvas would stay less hot vs the neoprene? I've honestly considered looking into ventilated RRS or RR seats swap for the front. However, none of the same era RRS had ventilated and the RR of same era may not use a friendly wiring harness. Yet, it's just power to a dial right, more or less. The RR seats were so much more comfortable to me even the arm rests were better ergonomics.

Ray_G

Explorer
So my anecdotal observation is my black neoprene seats feel better (cooler) than my tan canvas. I have been shocked bc I thought I would cook even with the neoprene in Abu Dhabi but the material does a good job of absorbing the heat without transferring it. The canvas in the D1 does an ok job but is less comfortable for that immediate hopping in while in shorts (if that ramble makes sense). Overall how the covers have held up to the sun is one is the main reasons I love them.

On the balance I concur with your M&M > K-bridge/Kexby but when I got them I knew the owner, was a test vehicle for them (RRC rear seats in the D1) and such so I felt the quality hit the definitely good enough threshold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke