2009 Chevy Medium Duty 4x4 Kodiak Ambulance conversion

rlrenz

Explorer
One solution to visible screws is to use stainless oval head screws with finishing washers. That's been my solution for years, and they work well. Finishing washers are available (www.McMaster.com) with either a plain base, or a flanged base. The flanged bases work well if you're screwing something a little softer down (like plain wood), while the plain bases work well if you are working with laminate-covered material.

patoz

Expedition Leader
Great work! Have you checked out Fastcap products? We used to use some of them in the cabinet shop. You can get a variety that’s basically a white PVC dot sticker to hide those screw holes.

https://www.fastcap.com/product/fastcap-peel-and-stick-cover-caps?cat=31

I just spent the last two hours looking through this website, and I'm amazed at the items they have to make finishing cabinets so much easier. If they can match the dove gray interior I have in mine, I can definitely see some custom modifications to my cabinets. I have been leery to cut into them for any reason because I was afraid I wouldn't be able to match them in anyway.

Mattersnots

Adventurer
One solution to visible screws is to use stainless oval head screws with finishing washers. That's been my solution for years, and they work well. Finishing washers are available (www.McMaster.com) with either a plain base, or a flanged base. The flanged bases work well if you're screwing something a little softer down (like plain wood), while the plain bases work well if you are working with laminate-covered material.

Thanks for the suggestion. I've gone to great lengths finding white stainless steel screws. Luckily I don't need that many because they can be crazy expensive. One place wanted a dollar a screw for a 2" white top stainless. I recently just bought some at Home Depot and will paint them myself.

Mattersnots

Adventurer
The fridge is in. This is one of those milestones I was talking about earlier. You don't realize how much you miss having a fridge until you share a tiny one with your father that also houses his beer. I went all out on the fridge. It's an isotherm inox 200. 5 cubic feet total. Remember this is my full time house.
TOM20180621_151855_DRO.jpg
TOM20180623_144350_DRO.jpg
I wanted to be able to close off the shower porthole window. Also needed to trim it up. Came up with this solution to get both birds with one screw driver.
TOM20180623_144458_DRO.jpg
Here's a close up of the sink. It's small but functional. Haven't figured out how to trim this one up yet except for aluminum angle. Not too worried about it right now though because still not sure it's staying. Restuarant supply 1/4 or 1/3 buffet pans would work perfect. Wish I'd found them before making my own.
TOM20180623_144508_DRO.jpg
Finally got to drive the truck again. I passed my motor vehicle inspection and am now classified as an RV. That means much cheaper insurance and big tires going on.
TOM20180625_075120_DRO.jpg

patoz

Expedition Leader
You can't go wrong with an Isotherm refrigerator! I haven't decided yet if I'm going to use a portable chest type Fridge/Freezer or a built in unit, it will depend on the amount of room I have available. If I do go with a built in unit, I'll be using an Isotherm and so will Bob Renz in his rig.

BTW, I forgot to tell you last night, you can replace those incandescent bulbs in your upper corner marker lights with LED bulbs that will fit those sockets. I bought a set from Amazon for mine and it made a world of different in clarity and brightness. If Amazon doesn't have them check Super Bright LEDs.

Mattersnots

Adventurer
You can't go wrong with an Isotherm refrigerator! I haven't decided yet if I'm going to use a portable chest type Fridge/Freezer or a built in unit, it will depend on the amount of room I have available. If I do go with a built in unit, I'll be using an Isotherm and so will Bob Renz in his rig.

BTW, I forgot to tell you last night, you can replace those incandescent bulbs in your upper corner marker lights with LED bulbs that will fit those sockets. I bought a set from Amazon for mine and it made a world of different in clarity and brightness. If Amazon doesn't have them check Super Bright LEDs.

I recently bought over a hundred LED bulbs on ebay for cheap. Some guy was out of the business and was selling stuff off inventory. I think I have bulbs for the clearance lights and should have checked when I was there. For now LED bulbs are low on the priority list. I'm scrambling to have the truck functional enough to drive to British Columbia in mid August for my daughters wedding. I'll most likely take the bulbs with me and mess with them on the road. One thing about these ambulances, they use a ton of power. LED's throughout will help.

Last edited:

eporter

Adventurer
Great work! Have you checked out Fastcap products? We used to use some of them in the cabinet shop. You can get a variety that’s basically a white PVC dot sticker to hide those screw holes.

https://www.fastcap.com/product/fastcap-peel-and-stick-cover-caps?cat=31

I just spent the last two hours looking through this website, and I'm amazed at the items they have to make finishing cabinets so much easier. If they can match the dove gray interior I have in mine, I can definitely see some custom modifications to my cabinets. I have been leery to cut into them for any reason because I was afraid I wouldn't be able to match them in anyway.

Patoz, I’ve got a bunch of their speedbraces that were leftover from an office remodel. I plan on using some in my RV build to support and reinforce dividers and cabinetry. They’re super useful in my garage for work surfaces with storage underneath.

Definitely a cool company with a lot of interesting and useful products.

patoz

Expedition Leader
Cool! The more I looked, the more I found and saw all kinds of things I would like to have. I love being able to use the right tool for the job, especially if it's precision work.

Mattersnots

Adventurer
It's Tire Time!!!
The day after the motor vehicle inspection the tires went on. I've been looking at them piled up in the yard for too long and wanted to get the old ones up for sale asap. The old tires and wheels sold quickly for $1100 which was nice.

Here's a look at the difference.
TOM20180626_165935_DRO.jpg
The process was relatively smooth. I used the multiplier tool that we have all been talking about and just started cranking away.
TOM20180626_181409_DRO.jpg
At first I thought the lug pattern was wrong. I was devastated for about 2 minutes till I started messing with it more. Sure enough they fit perfectly.
TOM20180627_083641_DRO.jpg
Here's a shot of the rear clearance. I did have to shave a tiny bit from the front fenders and had to do some light cutting, bending, to the rear. Not much though, it only took half a day for all of it. Now with air bags deflated nothing touches.
TOM20180627_105311_DRO.jpg
And what does one do with new tires installed. Head directly out into the dirt to see how they work.
TOM20180630_193042_DRO.jpg
I'm impressed. The ride is better especially on washboard roads. I didn't air down and could comfortably drive at speed on the bumps. It does feel heavier though. I'm now describing the overall feel of the truck as heavy but agile. By the way, this ambulance is mounted so the box and cab can articulate independently. Not like a 3 point, but should be enough for what I do.
TOM20180630_193129_DRO.jpg
This was my first overnight that wasn't in my Dad's back yard. Something I really needed. Had an early morning bike ride then a nap on the cot in the shade.
TOM20180630_193254_DRO.jpg

Coachgeo

Explorer
.... By the way, this ambulance is mounted so the box and cab can articulate independently. Not like a 3 point, but should be enough for what I do. ...
can you please take detailed shots of the box's suspension system. I assume solid mount in back and captured springs in front. I need to do something like this on my remount to truck in my avatar

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier