2006 Earthroamer XV-LT For Sale - $150k - SOLD

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
I cleaned up this thread. There is absolutely no reason to argue with the seller about his asking price if you are not interested in buying. Consider this the first warning.

exon111

Price drop to $155k. Best priced Earthroamer on the market. Price includes $10k of engine work that is essential if you don't want your engine to blow up at some point, so really it's more like $145k if you are comparing apples apples with another truck that has not had this work done.

Msand

Importer
Sweet rig,

Realistically, I don't think the interested individual for this rig cares about it being the "best price on the market" they care about condition, miles, features etc.. because in the end ER does charge a $40,000 'refresh fee' if you go through them, so i wouldn't keep highlighting that, it will attract more people that aren't financially capable of buying just wasting your time with dumb questions, and aimless showings of the rig.

You say it had $10k of engine work done- im guessing you had it fully bulletproofed. That is something you should definitely post pictures of the receipts- because most people like to just do head bolts or an EGR delete and call it "$10k spent on bulletproofing"- also don't say that it has to be done in order for the engine not to blow up, that is 100% incorrect.. Ive had a 2006 f250 6.0L with 397,000mi stock everything except ride rights in the rear, that was used by a farmer to tow 10,000lbs of hay bales around Eastern MT. It all depends on how you keep up with maintenance, and push the engine. When you start doing performance modifications, and tuning- thats when you need to get it Bulletproofed

You also listed a bunch of items that are 'new' one being "Several thousand dollars worth of Dynamat sound insulation was professionally installed in the floor, ceiling, firewall, and doors." Do you have pictures or receipts for that- also post a picture of the water pump, new house batteries, etc..

Anyways, good luck with the sale, I'm surprised it hasn't sold yet..

The best priced ER on the market right now is Craigs 2008 ER#83

exon111

Hello,

I do have all the receipts for any potential buyer who wants copies. Had a few requests for that already. One thing to consider with the engine on the earthroamer is that it is running under a heavy load 100% of the time. Some people tow heavy loads with their trucks on occasion, but this truck has a significant load permanently attached to it. Given that it is an RV, it needs to reliably cross the county repeatedly and climb mountain passes with that load on the back. That is not the same duty cycle as an average 6.0 Ford truck. In my opinion, the bullet proofing becomes a lot more important under these circumstances, which is why we felt the expenditure to do the work was justified.

exon111

Sweet rig,

Realistically, I don't think the interested individual for this rig cares about it being the "best price on the market" they care about condition, miles, features etc.. because in the end ER does charge a $40,000 'refresh fee' if you go through them, so i wouldn't keep highlighting that, it will attract more people that aren't financially capable of buying just wasting your time with dumb questions, and aimless showings of the rig.

You say it had $10k of engine work done- im guessing you had it fully bulletproofed. That is something you should definitely post pictures of the receipts- because most people like to just do head bolts or an EGR delete and call it "$10k spent on bulletproofing"- also don't say that it has to be done in order for the engine not to blow up, that is 100% incorrect.. Ive had a 2006 f250 6.0L with 397,000mi stock everything except ride rights in the rear, that was used by a farmer to tow 10,000lbs of hay bales around Eastern MT. It all depends on how you keep up with maintenance, and push the engine. When you start doing performance modifications, and tuning- thats when you need to get it Bulletproofed

You also listed a bunch of items that are 'new' one being "Several thousand dollars worth of Dynamat sound insulation was professionally installed in the floor, ceiling, firewall, and doors." Do you have pictures or receipts for that- also post a picture of the water pump, new house batteries, etc..

Anyways, good luck with the sale, I'm surprised it hasn't sold yet..

The best priced ER on the market right now is Craigs 2008 ER#83

The 2008 ER you are referring to is priced $20k higher and doesn't have the engine bullet proofing done. So essentially $30k price delta for what amounts to nearly identical trucks. Also just noticed in the pics it looks like they have drive tires on the front axle. No offense to that seller, but that is a very poor idea. The truck needs steer tires on the front axle or it will drive very poorly. The tire info comes from Earthroamer directly and numerous posts on the Earthroamer forum.

Last edited:

Scottpyro

Please see eBay listing for photos: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2006-Earth...343858?hash=item3d6a6a1bb2:g:FUMAAOSwLmlbMJ6T

For sale is Earthroamer #22, built in 2006. We purchased this vehicle in Dec 2015 to drive from Alaska to Chile, however work issues got in the way and the trip never became a reality. In the time we’ve owned it, we put around 4,000 miles on it. The truck now has about 47k miles on it. We are the second owners. In preparation for our trip that never happened, no expense was spared in ensuring every aspect of the truck is in tip top shape. We spent over $10,000 having an excellent mechanic go through the truck with a fine tooth comb and fix anything that looked like it may have even a small chance of being a failure point on our trip. We had a full “bullet proof” treatment done on the engine which included new head studs, EGR delete, and other upgrades they recommended to us to ensure maximum engine reliability.

This truck is has a 6.0 Ford diesel engine which does NOT require ultra low sulfur diesel. This is the last Ford engine that has this capability, which is a must if you want to take the truck out of the USA / Canada. The 6.0 has a mixed reputation because it often failed a couple predictable ways. The bullet proof upgrade replaces the failure prone parts of the 6.0 engine and turns it into an extremely reliable engine, much more so than the more complex newer Ford diesel engines which require DEF fluid.

Truck is located in Garden Grove, CA and registered in CA. It is smog exempt. Truck is in good, clean condition. We have parked it inside our company’s warehouse on a battery tender for the time that we’ve owned it. The truck is ready to go around the world.

Non-exhaustive list of improvements:

* Bullet Proof 6.0 Diesel Makeover, rear engine seals, belts, alternators, filters, all common wear items replaced preventatively
* Truck driven monthly to keep engine healthy
* Several thousand dollars worth of Dynamat sound insulation was professionally installed in the floor, ceiling, firewall, and doors. We had them install as much as they possibly could to get the quietest ride achievable.
* New Lifeline 8D House Batteries
* New Truck batteries
* New water filters
* New Camper Water Pump
* Diesel appliances serviced. We run them monthly for 15 min, per manufacturer recommendation
* Diesel tanks always stored with fuel stabilizer
* Upgraded to new stereo with Apple Carplay
* DC to DC 3 stage charger. All Earthroamers, including brand new ones, have a major problem with charging off the truck alternator. In theory it sounds like it would work well, but in practice charging off the truck alternator barely works, especially in cold weather. The engine computer tries to save gas by reducing alternator voltage output after the truck is warmed up. It is not designed to charge large camper batteries. Once it reduces the voltage output, the camper batteries start charging at an agonizingly slow rate. This problem is well documented on the Earthroamer forum by many owners. The charger we installed is a marine charger designed specifically for this scenario where large battery banks are charged off alternators on boats. It takes whatever voltage the alternator supplies and boosts it up to the optimal voltage for the AGM house batteries, which results in much faster charge times. This 3 stage charger compensates for temperature and is much easier on the batteries, resulting in longer service life.
* Halogen interior lights have been converted to LEDs which use a negligible amount of power
* Camper rear stereo has been upgraded with an Aux line in
* Added new 2.5 lb Halon 1211 fire extinguisher to rear and new 5 lb ABC extinguisher in front

Non-Exhaustive List of Included Earthroamer Options:

LED Exterior Lighting
3 200W Solar Panels
Electric Awning
Bedside storage cabinets
Granite Counters with flap behind seat that lifts up for more counter space
510 AH Lifeline AGM 8D battery bank
2000W pure sine inverter
Convection microwave oven
5500 BTU AC
13,600 BTU Diesel Heater
Diesel Cooktop
90 gallon fresh water tank
Filtered drinking water tap
Cassette Toilet
Warn 16,500 lb winch with synthetic line
Oasis built in air compressor with front and rear air chucks

We are asking $155,000. We arrived at this price because it is close to what we paid when we purchased in 2015, we put close to $20k into the truck after we bought it, and recent sales of similar year models have been in this price range. Prices on used models have gone up slightly since we bought the truck. The lowest cost Earthroamer for sale right now on ER’s website is #92 (2008 model). It sold for $210k in 2016 with 60k miles on it, and is for sale again now for the same price with 75k miles on it. There are no major differences between #22 and #92 except #92 is 2 years newer and has a 6.4 L engine, which many people consider to be less reliable than a bullet proofed 6.0 engine. Also, Earthroamer #30 (2006 model) sold on Earthroamer’s website for $170,000 with 66,000 miles at the end of 2016. It is completely identical to #22 except it had more miles and didn’t have the bullet proof engine mods done.
Give me a call if still available Scott 818-335-8241

zip

I prefer social distancing.
The 2008 ER you are referring to is priced $20k higher and doesn't have the engine bullet proofing done. So essentially $30k price delta for what amounts to nearly identical trucks. Also just noticed in the pics it looks like they have drive tires on the front axle. No offense to that seller, but that is a very poor idea. The truck needs steer tires on the front axle or it will drive very poorly. The tire info comes from Earthroamer directly and numerous posts on the Earthroamer forum.

What are drive/steer tires? I just thought tires were tires. Where is this #83 for sale?

exon111

What are drive/steer tires? I just thought tires were tires. Where is this #83 for sale?

Based on the posts from people who have tried both on on the Earthroamer forum, when you put drive tires on the front axle, the truck will wander all around the road. With steer tires, it tracks straight, the way it should. Steer tires are designed for steering on the front axle of heavy trucks and have a less agressive tread than drive tires. Drive tires are designed to go on the driven axles of a semi truck and provide more traction. If you look at my ER or any other ER with the same tires you'll see front tires have a different tread.

This is from the Earthroamer user manual:

Michelin Tire Package
The standard tire package consists of 295/60R22.5 Michelin X MultiWay XD drive tires (rear axle and spare) and 295/60R22.5 XZA2 Energy steer tires (front). Tires should be rotated every 7500 miles or at the first sign of abnormal tire wear. The wheel lug nuts should be torqued with a torque wrench to 450 foot-pounds with a 1-5/16” socket. Typical automotive shops are not equipped to handle vehicles the size of an EarthRoamer, so we recommend having tire rotations performed at medium or heavy-duty truck shops.

Racingdad

Adventurer
Difference between 2006 ER #22 and ER #83 may be production improvements and tweaks between 61 hand built ER's to start. But to me, either would be a great platform.

The second-generation Super Duty was to debut for model year 2007, but quality issues pushed it back to the 2008 model year. It features an all-new 6.4 L, 390.5 cu in Power Stroke Diesel V8 with piezo fuel injectors and sequential turbos to replace the problematic 6.0 L Power Stroke single-turbo Diesel V8. The new engine produces 350 hp (260 kW) and 650 ft⋅lbf (880 N⋅m) of torque.

I agree the bullet proofed 6.0 L Powerstroke has fixed known issues.

Issues with the 6.4 L Powerstroke? Well...... read on... https://www.drivingline.com/articles/the-power-stroke-blues-64l-edition/

exon111

Wow that is a good article on the 6.4, thank you! A lot of interested parties have asked about differences between the 6.0 and 6.4. Will share this with them. I did a lot of research on the differences when I bought the truck, but that was a few years ago and it has since faded from memory. I just remember my end conclusion was that bullet proofing a 6.0 was the route we wanted to take. This is a good refresher on why we reached that conclusion.

zip

Based on the posts from people who have tried both on on the Earthroamer forum, when you put drive tires on the front axle, the truck will wander all around the road. With steer tires, it tracks straight, the way it should. Steer tires are designed for steering on the front axle of heavy trucks and have a less agressive tread than drive tires. Drive tires are designed to go on the driven axles of a semi truck and provide more traction. If you look at my ER or any other ER with the same tires you'll see front tires have a different tread.

This is from the Earthroamer user manual:

Michelin Tire Package
The standard tire package consists of 295/60R22.5 Michelin X MultiWay XD drive tires (rear axle and spare) and 295/60R22.5 XZA2 Energy steer tires (front). Tires should be rotated every 7500 miles or at the first sign of abnormal tire wear. The wheel lug nuts should be torqued with a torque wrench to 450 foot-pounds with a 1-5/16” socket. Typical automotive shops are not equipped to handle vehicles the size of an EarthRoamer, so we recommend having tire rotations performed at medium or heavy-duty truck shops.

That's pretty wild. I never knew that. I drive a F450 for work. No idea what kind of tires I have on it.

zip

Difference between 2006 ER #22 and ER #83 may be production improvements and tweaks between 61 hand built ER's to start. But to me, either would be a great platform.

The second-generation Super Duty was to debut for model year 2007, but quality issues pushed it back to the 2008 model year. It features an all-new 6.4 L, 390.5 cu in Power Stroke Diesel V8 with piezo fuel injectors and sequential turbos to replace the problematic 6.0 L Power Stroke single-turbo Diesel V8. The new engine produces 350 hp (260 kW) and 650 ft⋅lbf (880 N⋅m) of torque.

I agree the bullet proofed 6.0 L Powerstroke has fixed known issues.

Issues with the 6.4 L Powerstroke? Well...... read on... https://www.drivingline.com/articles/the-power-stroke-blues-64l-edition/

Dang! Now I am scared of all Ford diesel engines. I had a 7.3 that I loved. I wonder if the 6.7 is any good?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier